MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

528 years ago in 1493, Columbus established the first European colony in the New World on Hispaniola.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley
Default El Dorado 8 year-old Rum

Wow - just noticed this on the El Dorado listings here: http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumdetails.php?r=885

It's always good news when a company like DDL releases a new product, and I am intrigued by the age of this. I haven't seen an 8-yr from any other distillers that I can recall.

I can't buy El Dorado direct any longer, since DDL now has a wholesaler here for D.C. but perhaps I'll email the DDL folks tomorrow for more details.

Anyone seen it or tried it yet?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
TheRumelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riley View Post
Wow - just noticed this on the El Dorado listings here: http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumdetails.php?r=885

I haven't seen an 8-yr from any other distillers that I can recall.
I believe Bacardi has a pretty well known 8YO!! And some guy I know likes the Bambarra 8YO Reserve.
Haven't seen the DDL version yet though, but if it is better than the 5YO it should be good.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

It is a new product and won't be widely available for some time, but it's worth waiting for.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
I believe Bacardi has a pretty well known 8YO!! And some guy I know likes the Bambarra 8YO Reserve.
Haven't seen the DDL version yet though, but if it is better than the 5YO it should be good.
You're right about the Barbancourt (shame on me, I even sell it ) but the Barardi "Ron 8 Aсos" is not 8 years old. "Ron 8 Aсos" is not a legal age statement, much as they'd like for you to believe that. It's a little loophole in the labeling laws. Caveat emptor, indeed.

I spoke with DDL today, and the 8-yr El Dorado isn't in the U.S.A. market yet, but should be this fall. Right now it is only Travel Retail and Europe.

Something to look forward to
Old 09-14-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riley View Post
You're right about the Barbancourt (shame on me, I even sell it ) but the Barardi "Ron 8 Años" is not 8 years old. "Ron 8 Años" is not a legal age statement, much as they'd like for you to believe that. It's a little loophole in the labeling laws. Caveat emptor, indeed.
Joe, i think our esteemed compatriot in rum--The Rumelier, i believe, mentioned Bambarra 8, a delectable rum blended, with his assistance (hence the little inside joke )

And while speaking with Brand Master Willie Ramos about Bacardi 8 in an open group of industry professionals, he assured everyone that each rum in 8 is 'At Least' 8 years old. Which only confirm what another rep assure Rumdog and i at the San Fran MoR tasting... So either they have talking points well lined up or it is true---Frankly i don't care, but i thought you may want to know.

Good catch on the Barbancourt.. Some others that are 'supposed' to be 8 years old are: Angostura 1919, Ron Botran Anejo 8 Year Old Rum, Bundaburg 8 Year old, Brugal Extra Viejo 8 Year Old Rum and apparently Appleton 'used' make one-- well any ways..

To the larger point-- i believe you were making... i also am quite excited about the new ED 8 coming...

Last edited by forrest; 09-14-2009 at 04:55 PM.
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I wish Bacardi and others would just put Aged 8 Years on their labels. It's one thing to have all your talking points lined up and quite another to state it on the label.

Either way Bacardi 8 is a good rum and a good value. And who among us isn't looking for a good value this afternoon?
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I wish Bacardi and others would just put Aged 8 Years on their labels. It's one thing to have all your talking points lined up and quite another to state it on the label.
It's funny you mention it, when we were speaking afterwords i mentioned that to him and he 'kind of' agreed-- by the way super nice guy, real knowledgeable also.

Quote:
Either way Bacardi 8 is a good rum and a good value. And who among us isn't looking for a good value this afternoon?
Amen brother!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Edge

Quote:
This is something I appreciate. I rarely consider a rum to be good based on its age, reputation, or even its label. I consider the measure of a good rum to be how it tastes on my tongue, in my mouth, and going down my throat. If it pleases me there, then it's a good rum.

As to its value? The harder part is to put a value to rums because it is so subjective. I would argue that the more a rum pleases me for a lower price, the better a value. Then again, value is subjective. For some, it is the ratio between price/taste, while for others, the only value of a rum is in its flavor. Then there are those for whom the value of a rum lies in the sum of its parts: presentation, taste, smell, color, etc.

I abhor misleading label practices, but if a rum is good, I don't care if it says "Rotgut" on the label; I'll still drink it and enjoy it.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Tiare

I donґt know how i could have missed this thread, are they to release an 8 year old? that was very interesting and good news!

T

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
TheRumelier

Forrest, how could I forget Barbancourt, one of my best sellers, due to our large Haitian population. I did think about getting up from the computer to check the shelves before I posted that reply, but at the time that appeared like hard work!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums