MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

118 years ago in 1903, In 1903, the Serralles family installed the first continuous rum still in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
black_strap

Default Bacardi Select/Black

I'm sorry if I ignored the unofficial "this rum must be at least *this* good in order for it to be discussed here" rule, but I feel the need to discuss Bacardi Select.

What the heck is up with this stuff? Over the years, I've bought it several times in an attempt to find something good about it that I missed, but it failed miserably every time. It might be the worst rum I've ever had, and that includes any bottle on the bottom shelf.

Last night in a desperate attempt, I made a Hurricane with it, hoping that the strong flavors would calm down this wily rum, and it didn't work.

Everything that this rum touches begins to taste like raisins.

Thoughts on this? Am I missing something?
black_strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Stamina1914

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_strap View Post
I'm sorry if I ignored the unofficial "this rum must be at least *this* good in order for it to be discussed here" rule, but I feel the need to discuss Bacardi Select.

What the heck is up with this stuff? Over the years, I've bought it several times in an attempt to find something good about it that I missed, but it failed miserably every time. It might be the worst rum I've ever had, and that includes any bottle on the bottom shelf.

Last night in a desperate attempt, I made a Hurricane with it, hoping that the strong flavors would calm down this wily rum, and it didn't work.

Everything that this rum touches begins to taste like raisins.

Thoughts on this? Am I missing something?

Me thinks you never tried Captain Morgan's Tattoo yet!!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
rumdog007

black_strap, Yes, you must have missed that rule and, for doing so, you must finish that bottle, straight with no ice. You are so on the mark. I keep asking, "...what is this stuff and what was it supposed to be?"
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Matusalem

Well, haven't bought Bacardi anything for years - maybe since 2001 or thereabout. Select was one of their only products I had on hand at that point (still have half a bottle - which definitely gives an indication of either how dear to my heart it must be... or forgettable).

Personally, I don't think Select was a best choice for something like a hurricane. I see it more as a bottom feeder in a glass of coke over ice - or something simple (different soda and ice) or, perhaps just over ice.

Strap, do you like anything else in Bacardi's line?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
Michael

Perhaps you should give the Bacardi 8 a try Mat, while it is still around. We seem to have some similar tastes, so you might be pleasantly surprised. I don't have any other Bacardi rums on hand, but this one is made in the Bahamas and is a complete departure.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
black_strap

Oh I've definitely tried Tattoo, friend, and thank god I never bought more than a mini of it. If I wanted to make black-pepper-infused Bacardi Superior, I could have made it myself...

About the question concerning my opinion of of Bacardi products overall, I very much liken it to question establishing my credibility as a poster here. lol I know what you're trying to do.

Once in a while, I can stand Bacardi Gold in some strange perverse way, but that's it. Everything else they make is fairly bad.

I haven't had Bacardi 8, but you guys make it sound pretty decent.

EDIT: I definitely realize that Select wasn't a good choice for a Hurricane, I was really just doing an experiment.

Last edited by black_strap; 11-12-2008 at 06:27 PM.
black_strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_strap View Post
I haven't had Bacardi 8, but you guys make it sound pretty decent.
It certainly is a decent rum! Totally different to other Bacardi products and well worth getting hold of.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Perhaps you should give the Bacardi 8 a try Mat, while it is still around. We seem to have some similar tastes, so you might be pleasantly surprised. I don't have any other Bacardi rums on hand, but this one is made in the Bahamas and is a complete departure.
Either I just didn't like the bottle but that's one I've owned in the period between 2001/2002 -- totally neglected to recall that. I had one sip, it sat and I gave the 97% (or thereabout) contents away to a friend who dropped by to service some equip at my house. He was headed to a party in the Eastbay and I happened to overhear him confirming that he'd stop and pick up some rum on the way to the party. I'm not a hunter nor an all out tree-hugger, but that's an occasion I killed a couple of birds.

Now... a lot of people spoke positively of the 8 then. A lot, such as yourself, do to at least some degree as we speak, now. Maybe I got a poor bottle (didn't taste like spoiled product though to me)... or perhaps I just have a Bacardi bias??? I found the 8 to be the same ole anti-freeze (jmho).

Given the price point, Prestone has nothing to worry about - yet.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
LX Sport

Its funny, Bacardi Select was like the first rum i "liked". I like it more then captain, but i only drank it mixed with coke. But i still really enjoyed it.

Then I was introduced to Sailor Jerry, and completely switched to that, since i liked it so much. And recently Ive had other rums, like Mount Gay Eclipse, and Cruzan Dark (granted, not a great rum, but much better then select).

The other night, a friend and I went to a local sports bar to watch the hockey game (i am from Minnesota...ha) and the only rum they had was Bacardi Select or Capt (along with every other bar ive been to). So I ordered a Bacardi + coke. I got 2 since it was 2-for-1's at the moment, was a pleasant surprise, until i started drinking. It has been awhile since ive had a Bacardi + coke, and man, i cant understand why i liked it then, i mean, i could still tolerate them, but they where deff not as good as i used to think.

I actually have a full bottle (unopened) at home of Bacardi select that i will probably never opened, and a bottle thats about half-empty from when i was on a camping trip last summer, that ill probably never finish.

Nothing constructive in my post, just my experience
LX Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
I found the 8 to be the same ole anti-freeze (jmho).

Given the price point, Prestone has nothing to worry about - yet.
Ouch! eek.gif

Please excuse my reaction, but I find that difficult to imagine. Perhaps some mischevious soul changed labels on you.

I will, nonetheless, refrain from toting a bottle of Bacardi 8 to any future Bay Area MOR gatherings which might take place.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions