MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

232 years ago in 1787, sugar from sugar beets begins production and starts to challenge sugar production from sugar cane.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

I'm trying a coconut water that I just bought today at Harris-Teeter, called Vita Coco. It's imported from Brazil, and is sold in 500ml cartons.

I haven't tried it with rum yet (perhaps in a little while ) but I like it just as it is, chilled, straight from its Tetra Pak.

It's also available on Amazon.com
Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
lperry

I saw this one for the first time yesterday when a friend brought some to work. She had the açai variety rather than the plain juice, but I was impressed by the absence of preservatives and thought that the paper packing might keep it from tasting "tinny" like some of the others I've tried do. How did you like it?
lperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Joe Riley

I liked it just fine, but I've been warned not to pour it into a glass. Apparently, it smells terrible when you do that (?!?!?). Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Hank Koestner

Not so, Joe. I drink rum and coco water all the time. I have never noticed a bad smell when poured in a glass.
I have tasted 4 or 5 different coco waters, and I like Vita Coco the best, and Naked Coconut water is good also. Some come in small 8 oz containers, good for one tall drink. O.N.E. is also very good.
There is a difference between coconut water and coconut juice. The juice is a little heavier and sweeter. Compare the info on the packages and you can see the difference. My preference is coco water, but every once in awhile I like the juice. Try a squeeze of lime, too.
Most all rums mix well with coco water, as I believe nature intended......

If you check on prior threads, there was a large discussion on this topic in the past.
Saludo!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #15
Gecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack.The.Pow. View Post
Can anybody reccomend a good style of rum to mix with coconut juice? Would it be more suited with a lighter, clear rum or a darker rum? I'm interested in this greatly because it sounds delicious
Brugal Anejo does the trick for me, especially with fresh pick Coconuts.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
jrl915

Default coconut water/rum proportions

I just picked up a package of Vita CoCo. I assume 2oz rum and 2-4oz coconut water will do the trick? Perhaps juice from a wedge of lime? Appleton Special good enough for starter drink?

Last edited by jrl915; 08-09-2010 at 08:59 PM.
jrl915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #17
Hank Koestner

Sounds perfect!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Joe Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
Not so, Joe. I drink rum and coco water all the time. I have never noticed a bad smell when poured in a glass.
Hank, I believe you, but a friend of mine who likes Vita Coco swears to me that when you pour it into a glass by itself, it smells like rotting meat I guess I'll have to see for myself sometime.

Nice article here about coconut water in cocktails. My man Todd Thrasher is one of the best bartenders you'll ever meet: http://liquor.com/liquor/articles/th...coconut-water/
Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #19
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riley View Post
. . . a friend of mine who likes Vita Coco swears to me that when you pour it into a glass by itself, it smells like rotting meat
If your coconut water smells like rotting meat, well, it's bad.
The process of packaging coconut water isn't as easy as you might think. I've opened coconuts to discover that the water inside was bad and rotting meat isn't far from the smell I remember. If you open a container of coconut water and it smells like rotting meat, well, it's bad.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
I have tasted 4 or 5 different coco waters, and I like Vita Coco the best, and Naked Coconut water is good also. Some come in small 8 oz containers, good for one tall drink. O.N.E. is also very good. ...
We tried most of the available brands when the tetra paks first showed up a couple of years ago and settled on O.N.E. as having the best taste. In retrospect it may have been that we choose the brand that was freshest at the time. In using O.N.E. for some time, it has been apparent that the freshest paks, judging by expiration date, tasted very much better than those closer to expiration.

That being said, when Smuggler's Cove had its Domingo de Coco in June, the fresh coconut water tasted so good, it almost made the packaged variety seem like an unrelated liquid.

Try the one of the packaged kind (or fresh if you are so lucky) in Robert Burr's Barefoot Mix; it is sublime. We used it at a party with Cruzan Single Barrel and all agreed that it was delicious. Hank is quite right that almost all rums taste great with coconut water.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses