MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

223 years ago in 1796, Ron Santa Teresa CA was established as the first distillery in Venezuela.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
RonJames

Default Im looking for a good mojito recipe

Im getting in the mood for a good mojito now that spring is coming up. I do have a mojito recipe but I'd like to see what other people are using so that I could tweak or change mine up a little bit.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Calgaryx

Don't forget a couple of dashes of bitters and drizzle a little dark rum on top.
Calgaryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Carbon

2-2.5 oz Oronoco white rum (to taste)
3 oz sparkling water
1.5 oz fresh lime juice (one lime)
1.5 oz simple syrup (1.2ish:1 ratio)
5+ big mint leaves (spearmint)

These are the ratios I'll usually start with, but I'll usually end up adjusting to taste as necessary (ingredients aren't always the same, mint especially will vary depending on how dry it is among other things). The rum is usually in the higher reaches of the range (i.e. closer to 2.5 oz).

This might not be for everyone, but I like my drinks with lots of mint and lime. I may try to ease up on both of those and mess with the ratios for a more mellow drink, but this is what has worked best so far. I also need to invest in some true Collins glasses because what I have is too big for mojitos.
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
RonJames

ya know carbon, my glasses might be the problem as well. I think they are around 16oz but not sure. I love the recipe and I need to give it a try, I love a strong mint taste with the sugar and ron, maybe weaker on the lime. I was drinking mojitos last week so probably in a couple more I'll give it a try.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Gecko

Ron,
I came across an Angosturos pre mix that I add mint, sugar, Bacardi Silver and crush ice to that was really great. I am not a big fan of pre mixed stuff but The Angosturos product added a cool refresh twist.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
RonJames

I'll have to give it a try gecko, I haven't had a bad product yet from angostura so I might just break my rule about pre mixers. I love the avatar, nothing better then some friends, a table, and shooting the breeze.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Vanpatt

This is a good thread, I'll have to keep my eye on this as I was just thinking of tweaking my standard recipe.

I just planted Mint in a pot outside (I hear the stuff will take over your yard if you grow it in your garden). I'm planning on some serious Mojito's this summer!

Personally I like to add a little more of the sugar syrup at about 2 oz especially with a larger glass. I tried one recently with key limes but didn't like them as much as the regular lime. I make mine with Havana Club Anejo White (sorry I know you can't get that but it tastes just like the way they make them in Cuba).
Vanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
lperry

Here's what I have been doing for a couple of years.

Get some mint from the garden, I have used both spearmint and peppermint, and take about ten leaves and put it in the glass. Add 1 oz of fresh lime juice. Take your bar spoon or muddler and press the mint against the glass, swirl the lime a bit, and you should be able to smell the mint. Muddle a little more with spearmint, less with peppermint, but not much overall or you will get bitter compounds instead of just the nice mintiness. Add 3/4 to 1 oz of syrup (simple, passionfruit, even grenadine, whatever you are in the mood for), and 1 1/2 oz of whatever white rum you have on hand. Fill the glass with crushed ice, and then top with about 2 oz of sparkling water. Stir. Enjoy.

This is a smaller drink than Carbon's, but I've been happy with the flavor I get with this combination. I'm making them right now with passionfruit syrup and Barbancourt Blanc.

A few nights ago we were at a party and I was given a Smirnoff vodka "mojito" out of a bottle. It is supposed to have kaffir lime and mint, but all I could taste was the mint. And I definitely couldn't taste rum.
lperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
Gecko

Hey Ron did you get to try the Blueberry Mojito at Rum Renaissance? I think it was done with Oronoco (not 100% sure, had way too much rum that day but it did have blueberries in it). It was really good. I didn't really like the fosted ones from Don Q, too much mint and was a bit tart.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
RonJames

Sorry Gecko, I didn't get to attend this one. And from what it looks like, I missed one heck of a good time. Im wondering about Don Q and mojito's myself. Don Q is usually my go to rum for mojitos but maybe I should switch to another. (Although I will always love a cube libre with Don Q). Hope Miami was a blast!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses