MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

60 years ago in 1959, Distilerias Unidas, S.A. was established in Venezuela.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
primate77

Default Cherry Liquer...

I'm not sure how closely related or how far apart these two things are...
Luxardo Maraschino Liquer, and a cheery liquer like Heering or Kirschwasser?

I know Luxardo is mentioned in the making of a Hemingway Daiquiri I believe?

The wife called me from the store, asked if I wanted anything. I mentioned the Luxardo Maraschino... but it's $28 a bottle. I told her I "thought" it was a type of cherry liquer or brandy, but not 100% positive.

There is also Heering and Kirschwasser in the same aisle, and the Kirsch was $19, so I said what the hey, and had her grab me a bottle of Kirschwasser Cherry Liquer.

Is this anywhere "close" to Luxardo? Any good ideas of tasty rum drinks that will benefit from my new bottle of Kirschwasser?
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
ejellest

Well, the kirschwasser is probably nominally closer.

Cherry Heering is a liqueur made by macerating ripe cherries in spirits, filtering them out, aging, and then sweetening. It is a bright red liqueur, not dissimilar to cherry candies.

Kirschwasser is an Eau-de-Vie (dry fruit brandy) made by fermenting cherry juice and/or pulp, distilling the result, diluting, and bottling. This is basically cherry fire water. (Though there are some pretty bad examples of Kirschwasser-like substances on the market in the US. Many of these are nothing more than flavored grain alcohol.)

Maraschino liqueur is made by fermenting cherries, seeds, and pulp, distilling the resulting mash, aging, sweetening and bottling. It's more nutty-ish than cherry-ish, with an odd funky flavor resulting from the pits being involved in the mash.

So, what to do? Well, try the Kirschwasser straight. If it isn't too horrible, and it should be immediately apparent if it is horrible. Think cherry cough drops dissolved in paint thinner. You might try making a liqueur out of it. Not really recommended, but you've got a bottle of kirschwasser you don't know what to do with. Dissolve 1 cup of sugar in 1 cup of water. Add an equal part of kirschwasser and a drop of almond flavoring or amaretto. Shake up well.

The short answer is, there really isn't a substitution for Maraschino liqueur. It is usually used in such small quantities, that the 750ml bottle isn't really a hardship. It will probably last you a year or two, unless you become addicted to Hemingway Daiquiris or Aviations.

~Erik
Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
primate77

Thanks Erik! I'm kind of bumming right now... do I simply save the receipt and return the Kirsch???
Old 05-28-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
bunnyhugs

Yeah, why not try and return it. . .

Kirsh is handy to have for mixing, but I can't think of any rum drink that uses it, it'll sit around even longer than the maraschino would, and cheap kirsch probably isn't good anyway.

What brand was the maraschino though? Luxardo and Maraska are good. I never heard anything too good about Stock - though I never tried it either. Oh, and Bols do one that is also pretty average, albeit usable.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
ejellest

Quote:
Originally Posted by primate77 View Post
Thanks Erik! I'm kind of bumming right now... do I simply save the receipt and return the Kirsch???
If it is a 750 from one of the big brands like Phillips, Arrow, LeRoux, Hiram Walker etc. absolutely return it. It is probably awful stuff.

If it is from a quality brand like Trimbach (iffy), Clear Creek, St. George, Etter, Obstler, Schladerer, Massenez, etc. you might keep it around if you're curious or interested in esoteric classic cocktails.

But, like bunnyhugs sez, I can't think of any rum and Kirsch/Kirschwasser cocktails.

~Erik

Last edited by ejellest; 05-28-2008 at 03:16 PM.
ejellest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Michael

The cocktaildb.com lists four:

Breeze

Cherry Daiquiri

Maragato Cocktail

Strawberry Kiss

of which the Maragato Cocktail looks most interesting, followed closely by the Cherry Daiquiri. The other two appear undrinkable on the face, but I've learned not to keep rigid assumptions about the apparent effectiveness or palatability of untried cocktail combinations.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
seabass

Funny this thread came up as I was recently looking for marachisno liquer to make a hemingway daquiri. I've asked at around 10 liquor stores and nobody has it. What labels should i ask for?
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
bunnyhugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
Funny this thread came up as I was recently looking for marachisno liquer to make a hemingway daquiri. I've asked at around 10 liquor stores and nobody has it. What labels should i ask for?
Try to get Luxardo (more intense and fragrant) or Maraska (sweeter and milder).

There are both good, though personally I think Luxardo works much better in a Hemingway Daiquiri.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
Michael

Careful with the Luxardo; it is wonderful, but a little goes a long way.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
primate77

Quote:
If it is from a quality brand like Trimbach (iffy), Clear Creek, St. George, Etter, Obstler, Schladerer, Massenez, etc. you might keep it around if you're curious or interested in esoteric classic cocktails.
What was brought home was... Georg Weis - Schwarzwalder Kiersche Cherry Liquer

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses