MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

20 years ago in 2000, the Uitvlugt Distillery in Guyana closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
chrism76

Default Newbie looking for Sippable Rum

Hello, my name is Chris and in order to know my Rum drinking experiences and likes and actually mostly dislikes, here is a little list of what I've tasted "Straight and on the Rocks" so far:

- Angostura 1919 (straight only)
- Baccardi White and Gold
- Captain Morgan White and Spiced
- Lamb's White (despise the smoky fumy smell and taste)
- Sailor Jerry

None of them are sippable to me. So I've figured that I should skip the rest of the Basic Entry-Level type Rums (other than Angostura) and try the next level brands which I can afford.

Here's what I'd like to find in a Rum:

- A Rum that is Sippable (As is or on the Rocks)
- The least amount of Alcoholic bite, anything subtle, the smoothest.
- Aftertaste that is Pleasant, not Ethanol.
- While I'm at it, I dislike the smoky smell and taste.

The following are some Rums that had great online reviews which can be found in our Ontario Liquor Stores (LCBO). I'm looking for your own quick compared reviews.

- Captain Morgan Private Stock
- Doorly's XO
- El Dorado 12yrs old
- Mount Gay XO

I've found reviews on the forum of Rums and I would appreciate very much if any of you tasted 1, 2, 3 heck even all 4 of the rums above and could give me their idea of which is closer to what I'm looking for and any suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks for reading and contemplating imposing here your experiences and wisdoms ohh wise Rum Masters you.. yes you!!
chrism76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
JohnnyFlake

I am fairly new to rums myself and started out looking for a sipping rum, like you.

Also like you, I do not care for that up front alcohol hit that many of the already "rated" as sipping rums offer.

Of the limited number of rums that I have tried so far, about 15, I find that Rhum Barbancourt 8 and Bacardi 8 are very nice sipping rums, with very little, if any, up front alcohol hit and are very complex and flavorful.

I especially like the Rhum Barbancourt 8
Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
leisure master

Hello chrism76 - welcome to the forums. You have come to the right place and will be a rum expert in no time!

Based on your criteria, I would recommend the Captain Morgan Private Stock from your list. It is sweet and not harsh and easy to drink and makes a great starter rum as a sipper. I think I actually started with that one as well way back in the day.

In addition - in terms of your criteria, I would rank the rums exactly as you have listed them.

If you like the Private Stock and once you're ready to move on to other rums, you may want to check out some of the following very sippable rums - Zacapa 23, Vizcaya VXOP, Zaya or Diplimatico Reserva Exclusiva.

Cheers and let us know how it goes!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Jolipapa

I'd recommend Doorly's XO or Chairman's reserve, very smooth and easy to sip.
Jolipapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
chrism76

Leisure master, Thanks and yes it seems I hit the jackpot this time, I was posting and asking questions on yahoo answers and barely got any responses back.

It's also nice to know there are different members at different levels of experience in here that understand right off the bat what I'm going through and in a sense prefer poking at your experiences than having to ditch more money, time, liver filter (not so good rums) to finally perhaps come up with the same results you've all made.

It's like I'm just skipping classes and courses and pay for the least amount of them to find out the hottest girls and date them, one at a time of course

Thanks JohnnyFlakes and Jolipapa for your responses, I'll refer to this Forum and Thread for months to come, I'm glad I've joined this forum.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
chrism76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Rhum Barbancourt 8
Despite hearing of that Rum I, unfortunately, don't have access to Barbancourt 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisure master View Post
will be a rum expert in no time!

In addition - in terms of your criteria, I would rank the rums exactly as you have listed them.

If you like the Private Stock and once you're ready to move on to other rums, you may want to check out some of the following very sippable rums - Zacapa 23, Vizcaya VXOP, Zaya or Diplimatico Reserva Exclusiva.
Cheers and let us know how it goes!.
Well I don't know about being a Rum expert but thanks for the vote of confidence.

As for the ranking of the 4 Rums I mentionned.. I was only wrtting them Alphabetically.... maybe I am a Rum genius afterall !!!

"Strong, the Rum Force is! with this one!" lol

I looked up the "Zacapa 23, Vizcaya VXOP, Zaya or Diplimatico Reserva Exclusiva" but none are found in our Liquor stores in Ontario LCBO, yes yes I know that sucks, but that shouldn't stop me from getting my hands on some of your recommendations.

And I will let you guys know, I'm just so darn afraid of deceiving you all if I don't like them though, all that weight on my shoulders lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolipapa View Post
Chairman's reserve very smooth and easy to sip.
Again, another Rum not available at our LCBO.. (scratching my head and feeling embarassed of our Provincial Liquor Store "Selections"!)
Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
JohnnyFlake

None of them being available really sucks!

You didn't high-lite it but I did also mention Bacardi 8. Now, I probably know what your thinking - "Bacardi" in the class of a sipping rum? Like you and many, many others, I also found it hard to think of any Bacardi Rum that would be acceptable as a sipping rum. The Bacardi 8 is really a very good, quality rum and can definitely be enjoyed as a sipping rum. There is no way to explain it, you'll need to try it. I only bring it up, because I think that there may be a good chance that you'll be able to find it in your area.

Also, since so much appears not to be available in your area, maybe it would be helpful if you could list what is available and get some feed back based on those rums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism76 View Post
Despite hearing of that Rum I, unfortunately, don't have access to Barbancourt 8.

Well I don't know about being a Rum expert but thanks for the vote of confidence.

As for the ranking of the 4 Rums I mentionned.. I was only wrtting them Alphabetically.... maybe I am a Rum genius afterall !!!

"Strong, the Rum Force is! with this one!" lol

I looked up the "Zacapa 23, Vizcaya VXOP, Zaya or Diplimatico Reserva Exclusiva" but none are found in our Liquor stores in Ontario LCBO, yes yes I know that sucks, but that shouldn't stop me from getting my hands on some of your recommendations.

And I will let you guys know, I'm just so darn afraid of deceiving you all if I don't like them though, all that weight on my shoulders lol.

Again, another Rum not available at our LCBO.. (scratching my head and feeling embarassed of our Provincial Liquor Store "Selections"!)
Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
chrism76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
You didn't high-lite it but I did also mention Bacardi 8. Now, I probably know what your thinking - "Bacardi" in the class of a sipping rum? Like you and many, many others, I also found it hard to think of any Bacardi Rum that would be acceptable as a sipping rum. The Bacardi 8 is really a very good, quality rum and can definitely be enjoyed as a sipping rum.

Also, since so much appears not to be available in your area, maybe it would be helpful if you could list what is available and get some feed back based on those rums
JohnnyFlake I forgot about the Bacardi 8yrs old and yes I was thinking just what you said and my initial thoughts were that Bacardi products were only for mixing unless they had a flavor to it like Strawberries or something like that.

I looked it up and 1 of the 3 outlets here in North Bay has it. Bacardi 8years old is on my list but due to some reviews (notably one that said it was smoky) it won't be my first next purchase however I might be tempted if it's found in a smaller size bottle. Have you tasted Captain Morgan Private Stock or Doorly's XO? if so can you tell me where Bacardi 8 years old fits among them?

It isn't just my area that doesn't have the rums mentionned, it's the Liquor Control Board of Ontario which are the only outlets permitted to sale Alcohol/Spirits/Beer, other than the Beer Store, which can only sell Beer. The whole province of Ontario is under Spirit martial law and it's called the LCBO lol. Each province in Canada has their own Provincial Liquor Stores, I think, nothing Private.

You've got a good idea of me posting the available Rums here so you guys can pick them out but I don't want to get banned so early on for posting over *500 Rum products available in Ontario, on the forum It would take many hours figuring out all the ones that are available in and around my city

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/Pro...sp?language=EN

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

*The actual number is around 70, I.... miscalculated.

Last edited by chrism76; 07-15-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
Jamie76

Captain Morgan PS is a very good starter rum. I think you will find it enjoyable.

El Dorado 12 Year is a great rum as well.

Of the rums you listed, these two I would recommend.
Jamie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
JohnnyFlake

Yes, Bacardi Estate 8 does offer a light smokiness as one of it's many nuances, but it is in no way over bearing, nor is it similar to the peaty smokiness found in many scotches.

Since there are so many available rums available to you, that you cannot list them all. I have put together a small list of rums that I know are considered to be quality sipping rums. I have seen them in many post and reviews. I am not recommending any of them, as I have only tasted 2 or 3 of them myself. I am just listing them as known to be considered good sipping rums. You can check out if any are available to you and then do some research to decide if you'd like to try them.

Ron Zacapa 23
Ron Botran Solera 1893
Barbancourt 8 yr old
Flor de Cana 7 Year Old
El Dorado 8 Year Old
Diplomatico Reserva
Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva
Ron Matsulem Gran Reserva 15 Year old
Appleton Estate
Appleton Estates 12 year old
Cruzan Single Barrel
English Harbor 5 year old
Mount Gay XO
Pyrat XO Reserve
Santa Teresa 1796 Solera
Plantation Rum – Barbados
Ron Botran 18
Ron Centenario Fundacion XX
Zaya – especially from Guatemala
Ron Pampero Aniversario

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism76 View Post
JohnnyFlake I forgot about the Bacardi
8yrsold and yes I was thinking just what you said and my initial thoughts were that Bacardi products were only for mixing unless they had a flavor to it like Strawberries or something like that.

I looked it up and 1 of the 3 outlets here in North Bay has it. Bacardi 8years old is on my list but due to some reviews (notably one that said it was smoky) it won't be my first next purchase however I might be tempted if it's found in a smaller size bottle. Have you tasted Captain Morgan Private Stock or Doorly's XO? if so can you tell me where Bacardi 8 years old fits among them?

It isn't just my area that doesn't have the rums mentionned, it's the Liquor Control Board of Ontario which are the only outlets permitted to sale Alcohol/Spirits/Beer, other than the Beer Store, which can only sell Beer. The whole province of Ontario is under Spirit martial law and it's called the LCBO lol. Each province in Canada has their own Provincial Liquor Stores, I think, nothing Private.

You've got a good idea of me posting the available Rums here so you guys can pick them out but I don't want to get banned so early on for posting over 500 Rum products available in Ontario, on the forum It would take many hours figuring out all the ones that are available in and around my city

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/jsp/Pro...sp?language=EN

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions