MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

50 years ago in 1970, there were 11 sugar factories and 4 distilleries operating in Guyana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
cjkemp

Default Black Heart Rum

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the forum, so howdy rum drinkers!!

I'm a US journalist, currently based in New Zealand. There's a New Zealand manufactured rum available here called Black Heart rum. It's a dark blended, imported rum. It's not particularly great, but I know people who like it.

Does anyone have any information on it. It's supposedly true to an 1842 recipe formulated by a New Zealander called Henry White. I can't find any more information than that.

Rum drinkers, please help me!!

--ck
cjkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
TheRumelier

The only Black Heart Rum I have heard of is one bottled by Alfred Lamb in Scotland, which is a blend of Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica and Trinidad rums. It looks like and tastes like the British navy rums that are still popular in the UK, very dark and heavy. Is this the same rum, as you said it was imported??
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
cjkemp

Hmmmm ... it could be, but the manufacturers are certainly making a big deal of it's New Zealand link. Maybe someone out there could explain the link between Alfred Lamb and Henry White, as they were both using the Black Heart Rum label at some point in the fairly distant past.

Here's what's printed on the label these days: "Blackheart Rum is a superior imported Rum with a rich smooth flavour and dark full-bodied colour. These unique characteristics make Blackheart Rum distinctive. Blackheart has genuine heritage in New Zealand, closely linked with the nation's maritime history. New Zealand Rum merchants Henry White and Co first produced Blackheart in 1842. Blackheart was adopted as the official rum of the New Zealand Navy, a practice that continued until the 1950's."

I've contacted the Royal New Zealand Navy and the deputy director of the navy museum says he's never heard of Black Heart Rum and that the New Zealand navy used to source all of its rum directly from Jamaica.

Weird.

--ck
Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
bunnyhugs

I remember Blackheart used to be a big brand in the 70s and 80s, though I think it always trailed to Coruba. I think Blackheart is priced cheaper than Coruba and generally considered lower quality. I would guess that Blackheart's sales have dipped fairly drastically over the last decade or two, though I could be wrong.

Traditionally New Zealanders have always gone for heavy navy-style rums, and that tradition persists somewhat despite the general move to lighter spirits. Traditionally, in New Zealand a rum and coke always used a navy rum, putting it pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Cuba Libre.

Oddly, despite the big presence of Coruba in New Zealand, we don't seem to get the aged Coruba offerings. Tiare mentioned trying a Coruba 12 year old in Sweden. I have never seen that rum in New Zealand, though the basic Coruba is available in virtually any liquor store.

Last edited by bunnyhugs; 08-20-2008 at 11:53 PM.
bunnyhugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
cjkemp

So, to revisit this post ... Black Heart Rum is very dark rum that tastes like treacle. The manufacturers blurb that I quoted in a previous post isn't much to go on, so I've been hounding the manufacturer for more information.

I also spoke with someone at the Royal New Zealand Navy Museum. The deputy director was able to tell me that the navy shipped it's directly from Jamaica, and it wasn't Black Heart Rum.

The manufacturer finally got back to me today and said that no flavorings are added to the rum (I'd suggested to him that caramel might be added to give it the dark rum flavor). He also says the rum is made in Fiji, aged for 1 or 2 years and then bottled here in New Zealand.

Anyone know anything abut Fijiian rums that might taste like Black Heart?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
bunnyhugs

I've never been to Fiji but I've enjoyed a few samples of Fiji rum brought back by friends.

The standard Fiji rum seems to be an overproof white rum. That is what I have tried anyway. From memory it is around 70%.

For something a little higher end, New Zealand 'flavored', but still from Fiji, I believe the 42 Below rums (7 Tikis and Bounty) are Fiji manufactured.

I found the Bounty (the dark one) rather artificial tasting. 7 Tikis (white rum) was not bad (rough around the edges in a good way like the unaged Havana Club). However, given the other options out there I wouldn't really be rushing to buy it.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions