MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

12 years ago in 2008, Montanya Distillers was established in Silverton, Colorado.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Events
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum Events

Sugar Cane Spirit Events around the world

Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #31
eas

No doubt the best event I've participated in so far this year - and a big bold positive step for a market like Chicago. The event pulled in some of the best of local trade, serious enthusiasts, journalists/bloggers and of course curious palates. There were some great small distillers and even the big producers put on a good show. Had some killer drinks by talented staff at the Sagatiba and Mount Gay tables. That the full El Dorado line was at the table next to mine was a wonderful sight. A real treat followed with the calypso and carib music on Saturday evening.
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 AM   #32
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scribe View Post
I was the shorter one you turned back on the roof. =) Then I went to grab some rum, and next time I saw you, you suggested the cocktail seminar (which was a blast!), and then I didn't see you after that.
Cheers. - S
I never knew a guy could be so busy for 3 and a half hours. Between making sure the seminars were ready, moving the Bacardi seminar as a summer squall blew through to the north of the venue, giving out the door prizes, making sure everyone had enough ice and attending to a dozen other details I didn't have enough time to meet all of the forum members.

Next time I'll put forum names on badges, in small type, so we'll be able to identify forum members.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 AM   #33
primate77

Ed,
Sorry I could not make the trip (and I only live 2-1/2 hours south)! But I had to do the family vacation thing that week.

Sounds like you might be dabbling around some more in Chicago in the coming months? Perhaps then!

Looks like it was a great time!
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #34
The Scribe

Eas,
Which table were you? I thought Sagatiba was next to ED.
Cheers. - S
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #35
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Here's a review of the Rum Festival by Gaper's Block a Chicago blog that's been around since 2003.

Too bad about the comments about Bacardi and Malibu, Bacardi has some interesting things but in a room full of other spirits it might be hard for some people to get excited about trying their other spirits. I'll be pouring and talking about Bacardi 8 next week in Washington DC. And Malibu has something for everyone.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #36
bcarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
No doubt the best event I've participated in so far this year - and a big bold positive step for a market like Chicago. The event pulled in some of the best of local trade, serious enthusiasts, journalists/bloggers and of course curious palates. There were some great small distillers and even the big producers put on a good show. Had some killer drinks by talented staff at the Sagatiba and Mount Gay tables. That the full El Dorado line was at the table next to mine was a wonderful sight. A real treat followed with the calypso and carib music on Saturday evening.
I drove in from central Michigan, about a 4 hour trip, and I have to say that this was probably one of the most interesting weekends I've had in a long time. Falling in love with the El Dorado line of rums, new exposure to cachaca, hearing about how Pritchard's Distillery started, etc... This Rum Festival will definitely be on my "must do" list for next year.

Ed - thank you a million times over for organizing this event!
bcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #37
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Thanks bcarney, it was the least I could do for my favorite spirit. And as my last boss told me more than thirty years ago, "Ed, you always do the least you can do."

I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend, I had a good time as well. And I look forward to doing this again in Chicago.
Ministry of Rum

Old 07-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #38
The Rum Ambassador

Sorry I couldn't fly out Ed, and from what I heard The Chicago Rum Festival was a great success. Well done mate !!!

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #39
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Jessica White from the Martinique Tourist Promotion Board. You have to love Martinique.

21 year old El Dorado and happy guest

Phil Prichard doing what he does best.

10 Cane Mojitos were just one of the popular cocktails. You can beat fresh ingredients served by a lovely lady.

Kyle McHugh - Leblon Cachaca seminar
Ministry of Rum

Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #40
maradamc

Smile Loved the Festival!

Ed, I loved the festival and especially the distillers' seminar on Friday. I learned SO much and finally got to taste some of the products of I've seen on shelves for a few years.

Hmmm... met some great contacts in the industry, tasted some great product, seasoned my liver... no wonder I love this industry.

Can't wait for next year!

BTW, I managed to record most (2 hrs) of the distiller's seminar to an audio file. The audio is rather faint but still audible. If you or anyone out there know software that could spruce it up, I'd gladly post it somewhere for historic record. Anyone interested?

Martin
maradamc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Events