MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

16 years ago in 2004, House Spirits distillery was established in Portland, Oregon.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct
Default Mai Tai

Our friend Tiare is gradually introducing me to the world of the Mai Tai. I love the concept of a forward rum flavor on ice.... with almond, lime and syrup to round out the flavor. But I'm not a fan of those full-bodied demerera rums -- Appleton, St. James, El Dorado

Anyone have a particular mix of rums you like in a Mai Tai, that I might try? Without anyones guidance, I have NO IDEA how many combinations I might have to try before I settle on my favorite :-)))

Mike
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
stockdoct

oops

I meant rum, almond, syrup and ORANGE.

My kitchen is currently under -construction and I have no stove or oven, so I had to improvise. I made a syrup from store-bought simple syrup and "au natural" almond extract.......mixed it with Patron Citronage, lime, Lemon Hart Demerara and Metusalem White and poured it over ice.

Far from perfect, but a VERY good start.

But I'd love some suggestions for what you guys enjoy
Old 06-13-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
rumdog007

Mike, I became a fan of the "tiki drink" or, better, faux-polynesian cocktail through the books of Beachbum Berry (Jeff Berry). His "Grog Log" and "Intoxica" feature several variants of the Mai Tai from different restaurants, both current and defunct. I stress that he chronicles legitimate cocktails and not the syrupy sweet ripple we all craved on prom night. It was his books which really hooked me on rum, either neat or mixed. Beachbum is for real. And, his record of the history the tiki drink is essential to understanding the role of rum in America (for the casual drinker) from prohibition to present.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
Scottes

Another vote for the Bum's book. Great info.

I am planning on doing some experimentation on various Mai Tai recipes this weekend, so I may have some variations for you. Though I tend towards the stronger rums, I plan on trying some weaker ones, and will be trying some "generic" ingredients in an attempt to concoct a Mai Tai variation similar to those in New England's Chinese restaurants.

It could be an interesting weekend...
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
Tiare

Scottes, i would love to hear the result of your experimentation this weekend on various Mai Tai recipes so please keep us posted..

I can also vouch for Beachbums books, they are a treasure!

I`m into some other experimentations this weekend, apart from training on some other drinks i`m going to try to make some variations, or a variation of the Honi Honi which is basically a Mai Tai without orgeat, lime instead of lemon, apricot brandy instead of curacao and Bourbon instead of rum.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice

Last edited by Tiare; 06-13-2008 at 05:33 AM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Colin

Talking

Out of curiosity, I tried watching some Mai Tai "how-to"s on YouTube. Out of half a dozen, all were pitiful. Most of these "traditional mai tais" included tons of orange and pineapple and grenadine — and some left out the lime (or used Rose's lime cordial I'd use a barf emoticon if there were one available).

I drink several mai tais a week (and by several I mean a dozen or so) —usually a more traditional one, sometimes for variety a twist with flavored rum and more juice (technically not a mai tai but hell, it can be tasty by any name).

For my regular, I go with the juice of one big fresh lime, a half oz. of curacao (Bols is truly the best I can attain in the Liquor Autocracy of Washington State), a quarter oz. of orgeat, a quarter oz or so of a homemade syrup (the last one I made was simple syrup with the addition of a vanilla bean, lime zest and sliced almonds) and two+ oz. of rum — usually one shot each of light and dark (either Cruzan or Appleton for everyday use, though sometimes I make it with Rhum St. James and the Appleton Estate V/X).

Sometimes I get a guest who likes the very fruity and colorful mai tai — something I'm not opposed to once in a while. For this drink, I use a full lime, the curacao and the syrups, but I serve it in a bigger glass and use Cruzan banana and orange rums with the addition of a bit of pineapple juice and a float of dark rum. Through a splash of grenadine and cherry and you have them salivating like Pavlov's Dog on a Hawaiian vacation.

Don't forget the fresh mint on top. It's a must for me no matter what's in the drink.
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
tym2relax

I tried one last week with 2oz Appleton Extra. The rum and lime dominated the drink. Next will go 1oz Extra and 1oz something else, maybe a light rum?

For Curacao I use Senior. Almond syrup, Torani.
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #8
Tiare

If you can get them,

St James hors d`age? or El Dorado dark? or Havana Club 7?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
stockdoct

Well, I tried a head-to-head comparison between Patron Citron (orange flavored liqueur) and my new bottle of Senior Curacao of Curacao (since 1896) and found I like the Curacao MUCH better. Smooth and wonderful orange flavor, although I'm worried it's sweetness may overwhelm. I also found a bottle of Orgeat ("Finest Call" brand, $3.50 a liter --- hey, it was the only stuff Sam's had) and in tasting it, I found my virgin attempt to make my own orgeat had wayyyyyy too powerful almond flavor.

My trial tonight will be for a Mai Tai:

English Harbour 5 year old rum, 2 ounces
1/2 ounce Curacao of Curacao
Juice of 1/2 large lime
1/2 ounce Orgeat

Mix together and pour over ice cubes.

Result? Hmmm, still a bit sweet for my taste. Research Continues......
Old 06-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
Tiare

Stockdoct, which are the rums you have to choose between? i know you don`t like the full bodied rums for this drink so..

Use 1 oz each of two rums or 2 oz of one.
2 oz lime juice
0.5 oz Curacao
1/4 simple syrup
1/4 orgeat
Mint for garnish

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions