MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

235 years ago in 1785, River Antoine Estate Ltd was established on Grenada.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
dan

Default Mai Tai @ Small Screen Network

Small screen Mai Tai
"The Mai Tai is one of the most well known cocktails from the "Tiki" era... Or is it? Chances are good that if you've ever had a Mai Tai, you haven't had it the way Victor "Trader Vic" Bergeron intended it."
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Tiare

In my opinion there are but 2 real Mai Tai recipes, Traders and Don Beach. Who it was that really invented it is a never ending source of discussion..so i leave it. In my opinion its these 2 that are the real Mai Tai recipes and both are good in their own ways and they are very different.

Dons is very fruity and tasty if made in the proper way ( i had a horrible version a week ago..:eek::eek::eek:..i should have given it back...) and Vics is a heavenly drink in its wonderful simplicity which really puts the rum in focus.
I don`t want to be without any of them.

The whole array of other "Mai Tais" are also there to sample..but i prefer these two. And for variation i switch rums.

I`m also searching for the ideal rum pairing as close to the original formula as possible..but thats not so easy if you havenґt tasted it, how shall you really know? then you have to rely on what other people say about it.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice

Last edited by Tiare; 03-11-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
tym2relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiare View Post
In my opinion there are but 2 real Mai Tai recipes, Traders and Don Beach. Who it was that really invented it is a never ending source of discussion..so i leave it. In my opinion its these 2 that are the real Mai Tai recipes and both are good in their own ways and they are very different.

Dons is very fruity and tasty if made in the proper way ( i had a horrible version a week ago..:eek::eek::eek:..i should have given it back...) and Vics is a heavenly drink in its wonderful simplicity which really puts the rum in focus.
I don`t want to be without any of them.

The whole array of other "Mai Tais" are also there to sample..but i prefer these two. And for variation i switch rums.

I`m also searching for the ideal rum pairing as close to the original formula as possible..but thats not so easy if you haven´t tasted it, how shall you really know? then you have to rely on what other people say about it.

Did you notice that Robert Hess used Barcardi and Appleton Special in his Trader Vic's Mai Tai?

Tiare, have you given your favorite Mai Tai recipe yet?

Last edited by tym2relax; 03-11-2008 at 11:24 PM.
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post
Did you notice that Robert Hess used Barcardi and Appleton Special in his Trader Vic's Mai Tai?
You watched the video more carefully than i did..i didn`t notice!...Bacardi white rum with Appleton in a Mai Tai that is sacrilege! He can use whatever rums he wants but then it cannot be called an original Mai Tai..
Have you noticed that Gosling`s Black Seal also is used on top? the original Vics recipe uses no floater.
But its a commercial video..

"Chances are good that if you've ever had a Mai Tai, you haven't had it the way Victor "Trader Vic" Bergeron intended it" - certainly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym2relax View Post
Tiare, have you given your favorite Mai Tai recipe yet?
My fav are Vics and Dons, but i have one i make and its in the recipe section called "My other Mai Tai"

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses