MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

272 years ago in 1749, J. Wray & Nephew Limited was established on Jamaica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 08-26-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
RonJames

No worries Gordon, you actually inspired me last night for a glass of my don q GA. One thing I will say about zaya/zacapa, I usually have someone start off with this sipper if they've never sipped before. Don't get me wrong, my scotch and bourbon buddy's never get to see zaya, but some of my wife's wine cooler friends its perfect for. And it does go good on pancakes doesn't it.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #12
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Since I didn't write this article I didn't have much input into which rums were discussed. My discussion with the editors was that Puerto Rico produces some of the lightest rums in the Caribbbean, in order of increasing body, Trinidad would be the next logical step, then Virgin Islands, on to Barbados and lastly Guyana and Jamaica.

Had I seen the layout before this was printed, I certainly would have suggested some changes, but as a source for an article, I didn't have any input into how this was going to be laid out or which rums they were going to use. Certainly, the informed members of this forum would agree that El Dorado 3 year old cask aged rum is a light rum, despite the fact that it is from Guyana. On the other hand, El Dorado 15 year old is one of the heaviest rums from the Caribbean. In the past fifteen years I've seen the Jamaican rums tend to be a bit lighter in body my point being that it is impossible to make generalizations about the most diverse of all the distilled spirits and be correct all the time.

And as a source for an article, there isn't much I can do about which rums are highlighted or how they are portrayed. In defense of Food & Wine, I will say that they did put Trinidad above the bottle of Zaya and despite the heavy vanilla flavor, the base rum is quite light, though probably not as light as the Puerto Rican rums.

In the bigger scheme of things I see a number of people who have come to this forum after tasting Zaya and saying "I didn't know rum could taste like this," and have then gone on to discover other rums that are less sweet and that have less vanilla flavor.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
gordonbeall

Hey Ed, just discovered your comments here, and would like to make one final comment on this since I was the one to start the whole thing going a few days ago... just to set the record straight, I know all too well how once something is fed to a media source that it is completely out of your hands and they will do anything they want, not to suggest maliciously of course, but hey, they are the ones who are putting it in final form, not you or me or anyone else. So I was never suggesting in the original (or following) comments that you were responsible for the way it turned out. The existence of this site will attest to that.
gordonbeall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News