MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

174 years ago in 1845, Distillerie Isautier was established on Reunion.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Review: Big Black Dick Caribbean Rum

My second review in honor of International “Talk Like a Pirate” Day is for a rum inspired by the exploits of the not so well-known pirate, “Big Black Dick”

According to the Big Black Dick Rum website, Big Black Dick is believed to have been born of ‘Royal’ African parentage. You can pretty much guess at the story, Hometown Boy Prince captured by French slavers. Rejecting his African name they decide to call him ‘Richard Le Noir‘ , which means ‘Black Richard’. He gets tossed overboard by the slavers near an uncharted Caribbean island, where he miraculously swims ashore only to be promptly captured and becomes a slave working in the Cane fields.

After years of labour, he learns the secret of how to turn sugar cane into the Caribbean’s finest rum. Because he was such an honest hard-working guy, he is granted his freedom in the early 1700′s. Of course, he immediately became a dashing pirate who wore incredible purple velvet, carried four pistols, and becomes known as Big Black Dick, the Pirate. Unlike most other pirates, he lives a long and hearty pirate life, and then he retires to a fine life making his famous Pirate Rum… and his famous Secret Seasonings,….and of course his famous Caribbean Hot Sauce.

I seriously doubt, much, if any of the story is true….but hey, it’s a heck of a story and serves as the backdrop for a very interesting marketing campaign.

You may read the full story of the rum in the bottle here:

Review: Big Black Dick Dark Caribbean Rum
Old 09-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
RonJames

I'll be honest Arctic, this is the 1st rum review that you've ever done that the title interested me more than the actual rum. There's just too much room for comments on the label of that rum.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Arctic Wolf

The Label, The claims of a "Stiff yet Tasty"flavour, and the final Marketing slogan which is perhaps so raw that I will not include it here all combine for a rum that just begged not to be taken seriously. And as you discovered with my review I had fun with all the double entendre. But the tasting notes are honest which is the only reason I felt comfortable with the published review.

I will admit I had the review written months ago and did not dare to publish it until I felt my reputation could withstand the backlash. Turns out I think everyone who has read the review has enjoyed it and recognized that I was using satire to make a point about the marketing. (Double edged swords can cut both ways.)
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
RonJames

I really think, although I am ashamed to admit it, that IF i bought this bottle...it would be for the name, label, marketing gimick and not the actual rum. And you better believe that I would put it on the top shelf next to all the good stuff so everybody could have a laugh.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Arctic Wolf

I think that is exactly what they are trying to accomplish. In a way its not a bad thing, as they are so over the top with the marketing that I cannot believe anyone is being mislead. It's kinda like a rum for tourists who want a good laugh. I know I got a great chuckle over it at that first Rum Chum meeting!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf