MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

146 years ago in 1873, the steam-powered, San Vicente central sugar mill was built in Puerto Rico coinciding with the abolition of slavery on the island the same year.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Caribbean Related Discussion
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Caribbean Related Discussion

Getting around the islands can be half the adventure of discovering new rum.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default Rum Lovers Forum First Anniversary

March 25, 2008 is the one year anniversary of this Rum Lovers Forum. As I travel the country I'm often asked how I started this forum so here's the short answer.

On a cold Sunday afternoon, somewhere between recuperating from my last trip and preparing for the next I sent Jason Perlow an email and asked what software he recommended for a forum. Jason is an old friend who founded eGullet and offered to host the Ministry of Rum as one of the forums on that website. Jason was quick to respond with a one word response. vBulletin

There was no discussion about alternatives so I typed vBulletin in my web browser and before I knew it I was downloading this software. The requirements were pretty straightforward and simple to understand, even for someone who wasn't and still isn't a programmer.

Within about half an hour, the forum software was uploaded to my server and the forum was live, except there were no links to it. In a few minutes I had added a link to the front page of the forum and within a few hours a few people had registered and the forum was ready to be tweaked.

Over the course of the next few days I added a header graphic and was getting offers from Jason and others to help me promote, manage etc the new forum. Fearing that I'd be overloaded with work I haven't worked to promote this forum but in the meantime it has taken on a life of its own.

Within that first week, Troy offered to help me administer the software and has been invaluable in helping me make informed decisions about updates, plugins and hacks, some of which I still don't understand.

There are a lot of people to thank for the success of this forum, but first among them is you, the person who is taking time from other things in your life to waste a few minutes, or hours, of your employers time to learn more about my favorite spirit.

This forum is the cumulative effort of many people so if you have any suggestions that you'd like to share I'll be happy to read your mail. I receive a lot of comments, and most of them are positive. So keep up the good work and look for a lot of new features in the coming year.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Tiare

Thanks Ed and everyone else here for your great work! This forum really is growing and its a very friendly forum and educational and also sometimes very humourus.

So its 1 year anniv tomorrow..a reason to celebrate with some quality rum!

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Ed,

You're a great resource for all rum enthusiasts and your forum has quickly become the defacto standard online service for sharing and disseminating information. Everyone seems to get along well, respect other opinions, mind their manners and at the same time folks are encouraged to say what they really think about all this rum.

Congratulations on getting this bird off the ground and attracting a critical mass of passengers. The sky's the limit. I don't have words to express my gratitude to you for all you've done in such a selfless manner to help us all -- while furthering our collective understanding and appreciation of the noble spirit -- rum.

Cheers to our minister!
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
frenchrumlover

happy birthday to the forum and thank you so much edward for your knowledge and your hard work
frenchrumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
angelsword

It has been a rewarding year for me to be a part of this forum community. Thanks for the site Ed!
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
Hank Koestner

It has been a great year, and it has been fun to watch the forum grow. Not only has it been an educational experience, but it is fascinating to share opinions and information about our noble spirit with people from all over the world. Also, I am now beginning to actually meet some of the people on this forum, and that adds even greater enjoyment.
It has turned my interest in rum into somewhat of a hobby.
Thanks Ed, for all the hard work and information. I am looking forward to the future. Cheers!
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Milicent

Hip, hip. Cheers. I know what I am toasting on this date from now on. Thanks for the forum, Ed and everyone else.
Milicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Jerry

Thank you, Ed, for all your hard work and time invested! This website is an invaluable experience and resource! I thoroughly enjoy, and greatly benefit from, the time I spend here!
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Dood

Ed, thank you from the bottom of my heart for laying the foundation of one of my favorite communities anywhere.

Congratulations on your first anniversary.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #10

Thank you to everyone who has participated, even if you are still lurking.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Caribbean Related Discussion