MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

29 years ago in 1992, Lark Distillery was established on Tasmania.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
island dreamer

Default newbie from the great white north

Sitting here in a little town outside Toronto enjoying an afternoon rum and dreaming about the heat of summer to come. Just finished reading an article in the Globe and Mail about the resurgence of rum and this site was mentioned as well as a quote from our fearless rum education leader Edward. Glad I found it, the continuing education into different rums will be very exciting. The only problem is our dreaded monopolistic LCBO as a source of a limited selection of fine rums. I foresee many shopping trips to our fine neighbor to the south as a consequence.
island dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Rum Runner

Welcome island dreamer!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by island dreamer View Post
Sitting here in a little town outside Toronto enjoying an afternoon rum
That is what is known as -- the good life. . .
Welcome to the for-rum island dreamer..
Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forums island dreamer. I appreciate your frustration with your local rum purveyor which seems to be a universal constant around these and other spirits forums.

The fishing is always better on the other side of the lake, but there are a few rums available in your stores that aren't available anywhere else. El Dorado just released this one and there are others. So when you head south you might consider taking something with you to trade with other forum members.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Rum P

Quote:
Originally Posted by island dreamer View Post
The only problem is our dreaded monopolistic LCBO as a source of a limited selection of fine rums. I foresee many shopping trips to our fine neighbor to the south as a consequence.
I share your frustration with the LCBO's seeming indifference to nice rums. Having said that, the LCBO is purportedly the world's largest single purchaser of wines and spirits and apparently has the buying power to get things that are often difficult to find elsewhere. I've found this to be partially true with rums. Although I get frustrated when I go to a smaller LCBO and find the rum shelves stocked with row upon row of ubiquitous Bacardi products, a trip to the Summer Hill LCBO in Toronto usually assuages this frustration. Apart from being the most impressive liquor store I've ever been in (for those curious it's a former train station) they always seem to have new rums in the vintages section and better still, these rums are often available at the sampling bar at the base of the clock tower. It's a great chance to try a $100+/bottle rum for about $1.50.

I used to think that the LCBO's monopoly was hindering selection, but as someone who visits Calgary (Alberta) on a regular basis, I found that Alberta's move from a province-wide monopoly to individual retailers seemingly did little in increasing the availability of rums. Even the big speciality shops like Willow Park don't have the selection available through the LCBO and their prices are no cheaper. (If anyone from Calgary reads this and has suggestions on where to buy rum in the city I'd certainly welcome hearing from you.)

Cheers-
Rum P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Calgaryx

When in Calgary (or Alberta) the best way to shop is by going to the website first. The site is for the distributor and lists all of the spirits available in the province and shows which store has them. You will find that some prices are cheaper than you will find anywhere and some are more. Appleton 30 can be purchased for about 330 dollars(all prices including tax), ElDorado 21 about 85, Clement XO 125 dollars, Pyrat Cask 230 dollars. Ron Zacapa 23 70 dollars.

Here is the site
http://www.alberta-liquor-guide.com/...se=description
Calgaryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Rum P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryx View Post
When in Calgary (or Alberta) the best way to shop is by going to the website first. The site is for the distributor and lists all of the spirits available in the province and shows which store has them. You will find that some prices are cheaper (...)
Thanks for letting me know about the search tool! I guess one has to phone around to find out the prices...

Just curious - when you say "distributor", does this mean there's only one distributor for liquor in Alberta?

Finally, any opinion on who has the best rum selection in Calgary? I typically go to Willow Park...
Rum P is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions