MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

52 years ago in 1970, there were 11 sugar factories and 4 distilleries operating in Guyana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Robshepp

Default Best Rum to make a great mojito?

Hello all,

I know virtually nothing about Rum. I'm usually a bourbon drinker, but I've recently become fascinated with the mojito. So, I'm looking for recommendations for a Rum to use to make a world-class mojito.

As it is with the bourbon I drink, the reputation of the company/distillery is almost as important to me as how the product tastes. I other words, I'm looking for an "honest" rum produced in the traditional way by a company that is not more concerned with marketing than it is about producing the best rum they can make. And yes, I am willing to pay more for this.

That said, I'm sure I don't need the very best. Whatever extra complexity or subtlety will probably be lost in this cocktail.

So, what do ya think? Can you recommend a solid, traditional rum to make my "ultimate" mojito?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
Robshepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshepp View Post
So, what do ya think? Can you recommend a solid, traditional rum to make my "ultimate" mojito?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
I'm certainly no authority on this. My belief is (as you suggested), an individual rum would lose some of (if not a lot of) it's individual characteristics when used to make mojitos.

Therefore, my assessment is start with a decent rum (something to your liking outside of mojito mixing), but beyond that, the additional ingredients and preparation are what will more likely produce "world class" standards - what ever those might be to your taste.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
lofat

Send a message via ICQ to lofat Send a message via AIM to lofat Send a message via MSN to lofat

I like Cruzan estate personally. I found some interesting thoughts on the subject from Jeffrey Morgenthaler recently... I'll quote

Quote:
I like to use Bacardi Silver rum in my mojitos. Since they were a Cuban company before the tide of revolution sent them packing for Puerto Rico, I feel it’s the closest I’m going to get to real Cuban rum in my mojito during this pointless embargo.
lofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:20 AM   #4
cigar-aficionado

If you can get it use the Havana Club 3 year old, it gives the right taste to the Mojito and then is authentic to those served in Havana bars
cigar-aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
Scottes

If you can't find the Havana Club, I've found that the Ron Matusalem Platino is quite similar. Though I've never tried it in a Mojito it would be my first choice.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
wcurtis

I think the mojito's actually a pretty transparent cocktail -- a good rum makes a good mojito, a great rum makes a great mojito. You can compensate for a cheap rum with a little extra sugar and mint, but I don't think a good rum is wasted.

I find Cruzan fine for everyday mojitos, but when I'm looking for something a bit more I'll upgrade to a good but relatively dry rum, like Barrilito or Barbancourt.
wcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
angelsword

Since you are a bourbon man, you might enjoy something with a bit of woodiness like in Flor De Cana 7. Mojito does well with a bit of molasses flavor as with Ten Cane. Saint James Ambre has a nice balance of both aspects and should make an exceptional mojito.

Last edited by angelsword; 07-16-2007 at 12:13 PM.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Hank Koestner

It is fun to experiment with different rums in mojitos, and all listed here would be good choices to try. It really comes down to personal taste. I like Havana Club 3 for a classic, and also Ten Cane is very good. Cruzan is good, and for darker rums, Flor de cana 5 and 7. Also, you might try rhum agricole, like Neisson and La Favorite rhum blanc and amber rhums. Try using pure cane syrup instead of sugar or simple syrup, and key limes. Cheers!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

For a white rum mojito I like the Appleton White rum that is on the market right now. If you haven't tried it in a while you might be surprised, a bartender friend served me this rum a few weeks ago and I was surprised. It just goes to show that if you don't try things straight once in a while you may have outdated prejudices.

As for Bacardi Silver being the closest white rum to Havana Club 3 year old, I would have to disagree. First Bacardi isn't aged as long and though the Bacardi family came from Cuba a lot has changed since they left Cuba. I'd suggest the Brugal White sold in the DR, Flor de Cana or even Appleton for some rum flavor.

As Hank suggests, if you're looking for something that will change the way you think about mojitos try Neisson Blanc and sugar cane syrup and you'll experience a whole new dimension on mojitos. No matter what rum you use the key is fresh lime and fresh mint. Too many bars use "mint infusions"
or lime juice out of a bottle because they don't respect the drink that brought the customer to their bar in the first place.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 AM   #10
Dood

I've been on a "dark" mojito kick lately and have been using Appleton Estate V/X.

Actually, I guess you could just say I've been on an Appleton kick lately...I think I've been using it for just about everything these days.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions