MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

158 years ago in 1861, Le Galion S.A.E.M. (Martinique) was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #11
RumBarPhilly

Ive got a bottle of Bundy 8 year on its way, Im very excited! Have you had this rum?
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #12
JMac

I'm probably going to be the odd man out here but I've tried Bundaberg Black and hated it...even in Coke. Has anyone else tried Bundaberg Black???
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #13
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post

It's a great excuse to raise one against imperial tyranny, mate.
I'll raise one FOR Imperial tyranny. The worlds just not the same as when we ruled the waves, it's all been downhill........

And I'll vote for the real deal Coke in an ice cold contoured glass bottle with a shot of room temperature sweet fine demerara rum on the side. I prefer to drink them both seperately.

Interestingly (or perhaps not) we've just been working with Pepsi on their new launch - Pepsi Raw. It's a Pepsi formulated using less sugar and natural, organic ingredients. It's got quite a nice stripped down taste with hints of apple and we've been working with them to promote the 'Rum and Raw' bar call
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
Rumpelteazer

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we see Diet Pepsi Raw
Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Bundaberg eh? I recently got another aussie rum from Hoochery. It is the Kimberley Cane Spirit and I would describe it as the Vat 69 of rums. Similar taste, only sweeter.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
Rumpelteazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
Gimme a Sailor and Diet any day!
Quite a few people have touted the merits of Sailor Jerry, so I went out and bought a bottle. Now I know it is a mixing rum, not a sipping rum, but I always start my analysis neat:

Neat - yummy aroma, cherry! a bit harsh though (the 92 proof at work). Some interesting spice flavors lurking beneath the surface.

Splash of water - smoother, but a short finish, and not a lot of residual flavor.

with Coke - very tasty, great thirst quencher, or for serving to 19 year old vixens

Reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad used to put a splash of syrup from the maraschino cherry jar into my Coke.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #17
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
I'm probably going to be the odd man out here but I've tried Bundaberg Black and hated it...even in Coke. Has anyone else tried Bundaberg Black???
Bundy Black was one of my great disappoints a few years ago. I've had more than a few Australian sailors share some Bundy with me while trying to impress me with their country's best. After a few months in the Caribbean most Australians forget about the rum they knew back home and stocked up on Caribbean rum. More than 20 years ago I lived in SW Australia and was introduced to Bundy and wasn't overly impressed but after coming from the Philippines where I had been drinking Tanduay, my expectations were a little high. I had hoped that when an Australian friend brought me a bottle of Bundy Black a few years ago that it was going to be a lot better than it was. Then I learned that, among other things, it is aged in large vats as opposed to the small barrels used at most Caribbean distilleries.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 PM   #18
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Bundy tales...

I organized a scuba diving expedition for a month to New Caledonia and Vanuatu, traveling to the outer reaches to experience un-explored reefs. After a couple of days in Espiritu Santo, a large cruiser from the Australian Navy showed up in port next to our ship for some R&R. The lads from down under wasted no time getting three sheets to the wind and their favorite ingestions were Bundy and Cola, or Bundy straight from the bottle.

Bundy was new to me and I was eager to discover this rum. They thought it was the greatest spirit ever created, but I was frankly reviled to consider it a fine rum, much less drinkable. Aussies were raised on it and so, they love it. They also love vegimite, a dark brown gnarly food paste made from yeast extract.

Lately, Bundy is reaching out to the greater population of the planet with their finest rums and I wish them well, but I have trouble getting over that stark impression that they're below my bar of acceptable standard.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
Dood

Somehow missed Philly's recommendation of Sailor and Diet. A frequent enjoyment of mine when a bar is kind enough to carry Sailor instead of just Captain.

I spent the 4th of July in 2007 with a bottle of Sailor.

As for Bundaberg, I have a bottle at home that my buddy brought me from his honeymoon. I haven't written up my tasting notes on it yet...just did a small sampling and wasn't wowed at all.

I suppose it could work in coke...
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
RumBarPhilly

I picked up 6 cases of Sailor a few months back , as there was a deal at the time. I took one home for personal consumption. Im about 4 bottles in right now.

There is one similar mixing spiced rum I like, VooDoo, made by the RedRum guys. I enjoy its "sasparilla" notes.

Back to bundy, is it really below standard? Should I instruct my mom who is in australia to pick up Inner Circle instead?
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses