MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

124 years ago in 1895, Destilerias Arehucas, S.A. was establihsed in the Canary Islands.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
demerara rum jumbie

Default “Wha goin’ on deh?”

Hello folks!

The user name is an irreverent nod to my dad, who pickled his liver after many yrs of large infusions of the domestic portfolio of Demerara Distillers. I’m a 5th generation descendant of Indian indentured laborers imported by the British to work the sugar cane plantations of then British Guiana. You would think rum is in my blood but it was not until recently, at the ripe old age of 47, that latent taste buds awoke. I quickly polished off the MGXO and ED 15 I had in pantry for past 10 yrs! I also finished a bottle of Zacapa 23. My collection now includes Pussers, Diplomatico GR, Zaya 12, Barcelo Imperial and a sentimentally treasured 20 yr old bottle of ED 5, from my dad’s last stash.

By day I’m a risk manager for a global reinsurance co. Afternoons in the gym, on weekends an automotive enthusiast and amateur racer. Evenings I sample rums from my expanding collection. I also love fine coffee and great food but did not fancy wine or sprints until my recently initiated rum passion.

My taste seems to be towards the sweet end, and I don’t like the taste of whiskey that sometimes permeates fine rum. I enjoyed the Zacapa 23 and am presently enjoying the Dip. Zaya was initially nice but haven’t touched it in weeks. Looking to get a few real top end rums and to enjoy the journey rafting down rum river. Let’s hope it’s a white knuckle ride!!!!
demerara rum jumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forums. There's a lot of good drinking from Guyana.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #3
Sylbaris

Dr Jumbie: Welcome aboard! I had my first demerara in 1970 with Lemon Hart and I guess that's when and where my passion for fine rum started. I would suggest if your tastes buds are leaning toward the sweet try 1919, Vizcaya and Admiral Rodney all high end toots! A good place to drink demerara rum and have good Guyanese eats is The Nest in Queens, NY. Nothing liking washing an egg ball down with some dahl and ED 12.
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
demerara rum jumbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbaris View Post
Dr Jumbie: Welcome aboard! I had my first demerara in 1970 with Lemon Hart and I guess that's when and where my passion for fine rum started. I would suggest if your tastes buds are leaning toward the sweet try 1919, Vizcaya and Admiral Rodney all high end toots! A good place to drink demerara rum and have good Guyanese eats is The Nest in Queens, NY. Nothing liking washing an egg ball down with some dahl and ED 12.
Sylbaris- the Nest is known to me well, once sat down had a meal then "limed" for 5 hours until I had to have another!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
demerara rum jumbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Welcome to the forums. There's a lot of good drinking from Guyana.
Thank you Ed.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions