MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

157 years ago in 1862, Barbancourt was established.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
SamuraiBartender

Ditto on the drooling & on access to green coconuts. Sundays (& early work on Mondays) be damned...this one will have to wait until next weekend, but that does sound fantastic...

Incidentally, I've done a "similar" trick with fresh sugarcane shoots (little more labor intensive), where I'll chop them into 6~7" segments & core them out (reserving the insides) to make a tall shooter glass. Bake 'em briefly to cure & press the reserved pulp for the juice, mix it with some good dark rum (though I'd bet an agricole or cachaca would work well too), lime juice & licor 43 & pour into the sugarcane shotglasses. Call them Sugarcane-Sin Shooters & watch your friends' jaws drop.

Cheers!
SamuraiBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #12
SamuraiBartender

Sugarcane-Sin Shooters
4 oz. Dark Rum (Goslings or a Demerara work best)
1 oz. Licor 43
2 oz. fresh Lime juce (Key Lime juice works too)
1 1/2 oz. fresh-pressed Sugarcane juice
Shake with plenty of ice & serve in Sugarcane shotglasses.
Makes about 6
(for glasses as prepared above)

Enjoy!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
primate77

Quote:
lime juice & licor 43
Samurai - that sure sounds good! I've been curious about Licor 43 (Cuarenta y Tres). I see it on the shelf at the store, I've seen it at some "better bars". What is this? Is there a rum base to it at all? I've only been told it has hints of vanilla and fruit (citrus) flavors? Is this true?

I've not seen a drink recipe call this out yet until I read your recipe here. What else would you use Licor 43 in? Sounds interesting.

PS - and I don't mean to "derail" the thread! Regarding the coconut water, is it common to find it packaged in metal cans or paper containers? I would think the metal cans would detract from the flavor? I've found that Dole pineapple juice from the can tastes very much like the can, which is a complete turnoff.

If you fill an ice cube tray with the coconut water, will one "standard sized cube" be sufficient for the drink, or it it too much?

Last edited by primate77; 04-13-2008 at 09:23 PM.
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
SamuraiBartender

I'm not sure what the base on the stuff is (considering how sweet & viscous it is it could be sugar syrup as far as I'm concerned)

I know it's pretty popular in the club scene (check out the licor43 official site - it's bloody ridiculous!), likely for those mickey-fin-sweet sort of drinks.

But all aside, it's pretty good in small amounts, as its one of those liqueurs that will comandeer a cocktail if overpoured - very pronounced sweet vanilla flavor with a sort of background (undeterminable) sweet citrus - likely lime or lemon (or some combination of the above).
When I do use it, it tends to be sparingly - it comes in ~375ml bottles as well as fifths - get the former - it'll last you quite a while..

I know what you mean on the pineapple juice/can thing, though I've never noticed a similar effect in the coconut water I've gotten. Those waxed paper/cardboard containers aught to completely eliminate the possibility though. Ditto on the ice cube query? Even though I mean to try the fresh coconut one first, how many coconut ice cubes to use for this?

Cheers!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #15
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBartender View Post
Ditto on the drooling & on access to green coconuts. Sundays (& early work on Mondays) be damned...this one will have to wait until next weekend, but that does sound fantastic...

Incidentally, I've done a "similar" trick with fresh sugarcane shoots (little more labor intensive), where I'll chop them into 6~7" segments & core them out (reserving the insides) to make a tall shooter glass. Bake 'em briefly to cure & press the reserved pulp for the juice, mix it with some good dark rum (though I'd bet an agricole or cachaca would work well too), lime juice & licor 43 & pour into the sugarcane shot glasses. Call them Sugarcane-Sin Shooters & watch your friends' jaws drop.

Cheers!
My jaw remains suitably dropped upon that "trick" Samurai!

I love Cuarente y Tres Liquore, it is one of my favorites!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
Tiare

Quote:
Sugarcane-Sin Shooters
4 oz. Dark Rum (Goslings or a Demerara work best)
1 oz. Licor 43
2 oz. fresh Lime juce (Key Lime juice works too)
1 1/2 oz. fresh-pressed Sugarcane juice
Shake with plenty of ice & serve in Sugarcane shotglasses.
Makes about 6
(for glasses as prepared above)

Enjoy!
What a recipe!!!

But i can`t get fresh sugarcane shoots or juice here! i`ve got to ask the Asian shops to bring it here!

As for the coconut icecubes i think 2 would be good in a glass of rum.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice

Last edited by Tiare; 04-13-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 AM   #17
SamuraiBartender

Quote:
My jaw remains suitably dropped upon that "trick" Samurai!
Cheers! Glad you all like it...

By-the-by, your (fantastic-sounding) green coconut drink can also be done in a scooped-out honeydew melon (or pineapple, personal watermelon, &c) - to which one can easily add a hollow bit of bamboo (or similar tube) as a pour spout. Fill with drink & you have a pitcher full of tastiness..
Alternately you can cut the plastic spigot off of one of those 2/5 gallon water jugs & rig it into the side of a big melon & have a watermelon "keg" full of punch

I had another pretty tasty drink what made good use of 43 going last summer but I'm not sure if I'd written the recipe down..I'll have to see if I have something...

Quote:
But i can`t get fresh sugarcane shoots or juice here!
Those are the only places I'm able to find it - asian & indian groceries - I've just started seeing the short & really green ones now, and its usually only available through late june here Maybe they could order it special for you? I have in the past also seen short (~10") pieces of sugarcane in vaccum-sealed plastic packages...maybe those would be easier to get in?

Now, I've never tried doing this one with the canned sugarcane juice/nectar (which is an ok mixer for certain things) but I suppose it would work - particularly if you heated some of the water out and/or supplimented it with a bit of that petite canne syrup I keep hearing about.
In fact I'm almost positive it would work, it just may loose a touch of the grassy-fresh/liveliness that the fresh juice imparts (perhaps substituting a measure of agricole for rum would help with that?)...but it would give you a good idea of the drink at least..

Cheers & Enjoy!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #18
primate77

Quote:
Alternately you can cut the plastic spigot off of one of those 2/5 gallon water jugs & rig it into the side of a big melon & have a watermelon "keg" full of punch
Now, that's a damn good idea! The possibilities!!!
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 AM   #19
Tiare

Quote:
By-the-by, your (fantastic-sounding) green coconut drink can also be done in a scooped-out honeydew melon (or pineapple, personal watermelon, &c) - to which one can easily add a hollow bit of bamboo (or similar tube) as a pour spout. Fill with drink & you have a pitcher full of tastiness..
And what about this one...? cool fresh coconut water and rum drunk from a honeydew melon eh? (Tiare goes to the Asian shop today..)

Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
Tiare

Update: So i went to the Asian shop and i found the canned sugarcane juice and coconut water. And with the coconut water i made that honeydew melon cocktail and scooped out the melon and poured the rum (Havana Club 3 anos) and the coconut water with a sprig of mint as garnish. It turned out to be a cool and quite refreshing drink.

Imagine then doing it with fresh coconut water..

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses