MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

114 years ago in 1903, In 1903, the Serralles family installed the first continuous rum still in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
penguinboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
Dude, I was looking for a way to use my goslings gold too. Thats an added bonus! I've got to give it a try.
We also add fresh toasted almonds to the extraction for a little extra almond taste. We buy them unsalted and whole and just mash 'em up (another use for that muddler!) and toast them in a fry pan on the stove. I've tried a few different recipes and all have been good, but I find the basic #8 recipe made with Goslings Gold is something when someone is over and says, "What the heck is falernum?!" that you can actually take a sip of it and enjoy the nuance of the falernum and imagine its possibilities as a mixer. The 151 recipe is just too harsh, in my opinion, to sip and enjoy.

-Danny
penguinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
RonJames

Im with you with the 151. I made some once with Don Q and that almost knocked me over so I can only imagine the 151.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
Im with you with the 151. I made some once with Don Q and that almost knocked me over so I can only imagine the 151.
I use JWray overproof as the base for my falernum (126 proof), but add some Lemonhard 151 as well to give a little added depth to the flavor, and I've had several people enjoy the falernum neat or on the rocks. I do think a straight 151 base might be a bit much though.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
Michael

Please excuse my ignorance rumdog, but the blog to which you linked above seems to require a missing "invitation" to read. Is that correct?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Please excuse my ignorance rumdog, but the blog to which you linked above seems to require a missing "invitation" to read. Is that correct?
I'm guessing the link that rumdog007 provided was copied and pasted while he was still logged in as a participant there. Thereby leaving us Plebe's out.

Or maybe he has an in that we don't. Running with the rumdog007 is always fun no matter what.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Off of the back label of a John D. Taylor Velvet Falernum bottle:

"Mix 3 1/2 parts of Velvet Falernum to 1 part Doorly's Rum. Add a dash of bitters and lots of crushed ice and shake well."
Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
Bluehammer

I made a batch of Falernum and it came out a murky deep green. It can be reasoned that this is due the lime zest and that my 2:1 rock candy syrup was a tan/brown (due to the non bleached raw sugar). This is my first go at it and I was a bit put off by the color since the commercial Velvet Falernum appears off white/light tan. Anyone else have a similar experience with the homemade stuff?
Bluehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
RonJames

hmmmm, been awhile since I've made any falernum. I don't remember using rock candy though, in fact I can say I've never used rock candy period. Maybe that did the color in? Maybe it has something to do with in what step you added the zest.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #19
tiknician

Have been wanting to make a Corn 'n' Oil but have been too lazy to hunt down Cruzan Blackstrap. I've seen it around before but it hasn't been in any of the stores I've been to lately. I decided I would use Mt. Gay Eclipse, since several people have mentioned it, and while looking, found a couple of minis of Plantation Barbados, so I used that. I made it like this:

2 oz. Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve 5 yr
1/2 oz. John D Taylor Velvet Falernum
1/4 lime
2 dashes Angostura bitters

It was very good! So good it made me wonder if I should be sipping the Plantation instead. Since there was most of a 50ml bottle left, I am sipping it now. It's good but I wouldn't be above using it in a Corn 'n' Oil again.

I have to say, the flavor profile of this CnO once some ice had melted reminded me of a Dark 'n' Stormy. I like Dark 'n' Stormies but this surprised me.

Maybe it has something to do with reducing and to 'n'.
tiknician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #20
Richman

Well I tried a Corn N' Oil. The taste made me laugh out loud a little bit because it really does look and taste like corn n' oil. Worth a try, but only with the right rum otherwise it's a different drink.

Black Strap
Fee Bothers Falernum
Lime juice
bash of bitters

lol this is fun little one. A small potion is good enough to try it.
Richman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses