MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

9 years ago in 2008, Drum Circle Distilling Co. was established in Sarasota, Florida.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #21
AdOrAdam

Definitely a summer time favourite :-)

I learnt to make mine from watching bartenders. It's a 'build' ~ i.e. a drink you make in the glass & taste the drink part way through to tweak it.

For a noob, my recipe is:

5 - 10 mint leaves (dependant on size)
4 lime eights (e.g. cut a lime in 8 pieces & put 4 pieces in the glass - again dependant on the size).
2 teaspoons of sugar syrup
Crushed ice
50ml Rum
0 to 25ml soda water

My process is:

- Muddle the mint lime & sugar in a highball glass (e.g. squeeze the juice out of the limes & make sure the mint has been 'mashed' but not 'torn up' in & around the lime while you've been doing this).
- Add crushed ice (I usually run supermarket crushed ice through my manual ice crusher to make it uniformly small)
- Add rum
- Mix with a long handled spoon
- Taste & add more sugar / a squeeze of lime juice if required
- Add a little more ice & a 'slosh' of soda water
- Final 'quick' mix & serve

My notes are:

Re measurement = not required but it helps you not make it too sweet if you measure the sugar (& not get too drunk if you measure the rum).

Re sugar = I either use prebrought gomme sugar syrup or make a syrup using approx 1:1 sugar & hot water. Gomme is more expensive but adds a slight texture, home made syrup can vary - either is good. By adding a small amount in the beginning means as you can add more if you think it needs it.

Re making & serving - when you've explained the process & laid out the ingredients, people usually like making their own.

Re rum = IMO the quality of the rum really matters. White Flor De Cana 4 / Havana Club Blanco work well. My girlfriends favourite is Brugal Blanco. Bacardi Superior / Cruzan White don't work well. If I'm making the drink for me I use Havana Club 3 - its slightly drier & meant to be more 'old fashioned'.

Its a sociable drink for me. I tend to make it quick so I can get on with being sociable
AdOrAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
Don Piero

You may want some Cuban Mint in your Mojito.

If you decide to buy the plant, place it in a pot to prevent it from spreading. I learned to late, its difficult to control.

http://www.thegrowers-exchange.com/M...p/her-mt12.htm
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #23
Echewta

Here is the recipe that i've had the most success with when it comes to compliments. It comes from Andrew Willett's bar book who I believe modifies a 1932 recipe.

10 1/2 fl oz glass with 4 service ice cubes and 1 1/2 fl oz of chilled plain soda water. Prepare a straw, full wheel slice of key lime notched and 1 sprig of mint.

In a glass mixing tumbler:
1 jigger of light Cuban rum light or old (I use
8-12 mint leaves (concussed and dropped in, not muddled)
1 fl oz of fresh key lime juice
2 dsp. of superfine sugar
fill over the liquid with method ice and shake for 20 seconds. Strain through a Hawthorn and mesh strainer into the glass with ice and soda. Add straw, mint and key lime wheel.

I never muddle mint. Per my education, it adds bitter flavor when all you need to do is slap a handful to release that refreshing taste and give it a proper shake. The stem is especially bitter and i cringe when i see bartenders serving that muddled. The bouquet of mint as a garnish is enough to get people excited versus wads of muddled pieces of mint floating in the drink.

Always key limes over persian limes.

Enjoy!
Echewta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #24
FRENCH THUNDERBIRD

Default Mojitos have rhum inside !

In MOJITOS, the Rhum seems to be overlooked more than often. Unless you want a light, refreshing alternative for Rhum & a lemon lime drink w/mint. The Rhum used, should be a good Rhum that you appreciate. Just being Cuban, is not enough. Choose a Rhum with enough flavour to show it's qualities with the other ingredients. In the attached foto - we have Havana 3 years. OK. A mixer. Step it up a notch - Havana Anejo Especial - Now we got flavour. OK. A mixer also.
So...check out the basic steps now.

First Step- Sugar should be chosen for a clear reason. Refined or brown or syrup.Their flavours dominate -so think about it. And take it easy with the sugar, we're not making a dessert drink. This goes in the glass first.

Second - The lime juice and lime zest - 1,5cl. approx. juice and 1/4 finely sliced zest to mix well w/ the Rhum. Press the juice - don't buy it. Mix simply with the sugar.

Third - Mint leaves need to be treated with respect. Fondle, rub, caress & love them - don't batter them. Fondle, until you can smell the aromas with your head held high - not down in their face forcing them to smell good. You don't need much mint. Quality differs though. Make the glass nice looking w/the mint - it's part of the experience - non? The mint leaves should float on the sugar & lime. Do not crush/kill the mint. Put them in.

Third and 1/2 - NOW. A test! Is your Mojito, as a Virgin Mojito - good ? Add some cold water - no ice. Carbonated water or healthy tap water ? Does not matter much for this test. Well maybe, not really - water is another subject, we'll see later . OK. Test it out. It should be tasty, very tasty. It should be limey. It should be minty. It should be sweet - but BE careful here. It should be delicious - not too sweet. Done ? OK. Mastered ! If you have survived until now, with a minimum result; you are probably more capable than 3/4 of the barpersons on the planet.

Third and 3/4 - If the Virgin is up to your expectations, and your have an hour or two before your guests arrive - let it sit -kinda like in Cuba, where it sits for hours and hours before the tourists come in. Kinda like a Guinness in a back roads pub lost somewhere in Ireland, where the first thing the bartender does in the morning is half fill pints of stout. OSMOSIS.

Fourth - THE RHUM ! Yeh, we already worked on this one. Try 4cl.(1,3 ounces) of GOOD like you like it - Rhum. White, amber, dark or old, does not matter - the flavour does though. Maybe 1,5 ounces or 2 ounces just too be sure.- Whatever the Rhum, it's got to be the same GOOD quality as YOUR basic GOOD Virgin Mojito. Mix gently on top of mint.

Fifth - Ice is cold, so if you are in a cold area - you don't need it. Appreciate the Rhum - that's why we're here. Some people like a lot of ice, especially in bars, and maybe in Finland. Looks good and a it's a GREAT value. Kills flavour, and dilutes rapidly. Damn. Anyhow, put in the ice.

Sixth - NOW, water is important. Very important. Flat water or sparkling water. I'm not sure how many spritzer-water Mojitos Hemingway or his buddys had in the 30's, 40's & 50's. I could be wrong - since I was born in the 50's. I like Rhum a WHOLE bunch - like a *^$ù*"' lot. So i'll take the tap water please. Perrier is really nice on the beach with bikinis. Water gives us the great Rhum natural aromas. Try not to add much water though - three times as much water as the Rhum would be a good rule of thumb. I put in two times as much because I like the Rhum way too much. Water is great on bikinis.

Seventh, and last step - Wrap things up & make it lovely ! A well placed, chosen sprig of mint on top. A few zestes of lime on top as well. Stirrer & straw. Enjoy the Rhum in YOUR kick-ass Mojito. Too damn simple. Anything else less simple is probably not legal anyhow. Angostura (another subject folks, since it's a long way by boat), coconut by-products, rasp/strawberry cuteness, scented Fogs, flashy lights, or molecular revolutionary mixologist caviar stuff from planet Mars barpeople ain't legal yet...yeh,yeh,yeh...non, non,non. If you drink this kind of mutant cocktail, it does not mean bad things. It means I would love to have a drink with you (But I'm probably kinda far away from you here in Europe - Though I'm in SF every 3-4 years). We would probably have a great time as I know the town fairly well - I was one of the wine stewards at the incredible CHEZ MICHEL (now Chez Gary Danko). Great restaurant - no Mojitos. Order a Sidecar.
FRENCH THUNDERBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #25
Jolipapa

Pffff... quel bavardage...
Jolipapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #26
FRENCH THUNDERBIRD

Default Bavardage

Yes indeed ! This, which is done while sharing information and thoughts with others. Often while appreciating Rhum. In a pub for example. Bavardage is lovely in a pub. Or in an internet forum. Tiens !

“Understanding is a wellspring of life to him who has it. But the correction of fools is folly.”
FRENCH THUNDERBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #27
jrl915

Nothing like a little French tiff.
jrl915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #28
Illogical

Sorry totally off topic, but topical right now:

Woudn't you just love to be a fly on the wall when Mr. Hollande goes to visit his partner Valerie Trierweiler in hospital? I bet the patients in the next room are loving it.

Honestly though, after a couple of XVSOP who wouldn't be on the scooter to visit Ms. Gayet?

Now back to Mojitos!
Illogical is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses