MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

16 years ago in 2004, Tuthilltown Distillers was established in Gardiner, New York.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
primate77

Not trying to be too diversionary, but not having any of the El Dorado rums (except the $10 a bottle white, which is not in the same class).

What will be more suited to my tastes?
El Dorado 12
El Dorado 15

To give an idea of other rums I like that are dark or darker rums, I like Ron Botran 12, and I like Zaya, but I like the Botran better than the Zaya. So that would probably lead me to say I like them a bit drier and not quite as sweet. I like Goslings Black Seal, I like Flor de Cana 5 year.

Some sweetness, but not syrupy terribly sweet.

And then back to the 25, is this high dollar rum going to be more along the lines of a bourbony tasting rum, or a thick, sweet deep rich rum?
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #12
rumdog007

primate77, you should definitely pounce on the ED15 like a hungry lion. Given what you describe as your preferences, the 15 would add another color to your already varied palate. I enjoy the same rums which you do and find the ED 15 to be a great sipper that I must have every week. The Ed 12 is a good rum, too. Not as full bodied IMHO.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

In my opinion it's not worth the really big dollar. I love the ED range and the 12, 15, and 21 are wonderfully complex rums - 12 being sweeter and rich with the double wooden pot at it's heart, 15 being slightly drier and full bodied with the single wooden pot at it's heart, and the 21 sitting taste wise between the 2. The 25 doesn't bring anything new to the table except a mellowness and rounded mouthfeel - as a rum drinker you might find it hard to justify the extra expense. It's amazing though how good anything tastes when you know how expensive it is. Like hunger, it's a great sauce!
Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Tiare

I have just recently been able to try the 21 and i find it very much like the 15 but more refined and with much less of that smoky punch that the 15 has. El Dorado rums are just awesome.

Paul, can you explain more about this:
" 12 being sweeter and rich with the double wooden pot at it's heart, 15 being slightly drier and full bodied with the single wooden pot at it's heart, and the 21 sitting taste wise between the 2." I`m very interested in which stills are used for which of these rums.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #15
Berbician

The new El Dorado 12 year old is very different to the old one. So it all depends on which version you have. The new 12 year old is very sweet - definitely too sweet to drink before dinner. The 15 year old is probably the best rum that I have ever tasted - it's perfect in every way, so I hope that they never change it.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #16
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

When the El Dorado 12 was reformulated a few years back, a new bottle was used (giant improvement in the presentation). It seemed to me they were going after Zacapa 23 with the new blend. The previous El Dorado 12 was lighter and a bit woodier as I remember.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #17
Hank Koestner

There is one bottle of the 25 in town for...$329! I wont be purchasing it any time soon. It would not seem to me that it could be that much different than the 21, to justify the purchase anyway.
I don't think I ever tasted the old blend of the 12.
Primate, I suggest the 15.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I posted this on www.refinedvices.com the other day

We're training for El Dorado and the rest of the ACR rums and they've given us the most wonderful insights into their brands.

Because they operate 9 different stills, the range of marques they produce are simply phenomonal. Most believe the 12 and the 15 are seperated by merely 3 years whereas in fact they are produced using marques from different stills explaining their variety.

You might find this useful if I can translate it here;

12 year old - contains predominantly copper coffey still rum from Diamond blended with the double wooden pot still at Port Mourant and marques from the wooden Coffey in Enmore.

15 year old - contains equally double wooden pot from Port Mourant and metal coffey from Diamond, blended with single wooden pot stil (Versailles) and marques from the wooden coffey still at Enmore.

Same raw fermented wash put through differing stills, aged in the same warehouse then blended to make 2 stupendous rums.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #19
leisure master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
The 15 year old is probably the best rum that I have ever tasted - it's perfect in every way...
I completely agree with this statement - when you consider both the cost and the complexity/flavor you get from this rum, it really is the best, "pound-for-pound" to apply a boxing metaphor.

Hopefully no one from ED reads these posts - "I mean, this stuff is WAY overpriced...they shouldn't charge more than 20 bucks..."
leisure master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Torpnubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisure master View Post
"I mean, this stuff is WAY overpriced...they shouldn't charge more than 20 bucks..."
Very close Leisure Master

http://www.shoppersvineyard.com/Eletters/09_08_08.htm
Torpnubber is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions