MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

166 years ago in 1853, Fabrica Nacional de Licores was established in Costa Rica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #21
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
How many different stills are used? Obviously the 2 wooden pot stills and the wooden Coffey still. What others?
Along with the wooden stills we also have three 2 column metal coffey stills and two 4 columns savalle stills.
El Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #22
Don Piero

Quote:
Originally Posted by el dorado View Post
Sorry that you were disappointed. All of our rums are blended rums between continuous and pot still rums to give that unique blends of flovours the makes up the bouquet of the rum. With the single rums, these are distillate from one still, aged and bottled. They are quite unique in their flavours - the single barrel ICBU is from the 4 column savalle still, light and has a sugary type of aroma, the single barrel EHP is from the wooden coffey still, medium and has a fruity aroma, the single barrel PM is from the double wooden pot still, heavy and has more woody potty aroma, more like a cognac. So you see we have different rums for different individuals depending on their taste. Probably if you had known what to expect you would not have been disappointed.
It was the EHP that I tried and the LCBO carries. Reading your descriptions, I think I would have preferred the PM version. Thanks for the great info.
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #23
Don Piero

Quote:
Originally Posted by el dorado View Post
Hope they reconsider reintroducing the El Dorado line - you can't keep a good rum down.
You can't keep a good rum down is right. I know with the El Dorado 21yo, the LCBO shows it being discontinued (currently with zero inventory) but they have ensured me that they will have it at Christmas time. The 15yo is stocked all year.
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #24
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

What a pleasure it is to enjoy an illuminating discourse with one intimately familiar with the process at this legendary rum distillery family. Thanks for contributing some time and knowledge to rum enthusiasts here online.

I understand Demerara has significant stock of bulk aged rums available and supplies product for numerous private labels. Is that true?
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #25
rumdreams

I have a start up company. I have an amazing marketing idea, name, investment capital, and bottling company. All I need now is the rum. Does Demerara work with providing new companies with rum? I love the demerara rums and have family in guyana. Please contact me asap.

zyoungbizman@yahoo.com
rumdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #26
rumdreams

Default Welcome

I was actually interested in contacting Demerara. I have an amazing idea for a start up here in New York. I have plenty of investment capital, a bottling company, and a great marketing plan. Now all I need is the rum. Does demerara work with start-ups and provide rums for outside companies. Any of your assistance would be highly appreciated.
rumdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #27
Dood

I've been away from the forum for over a week now, but I wanted to join the chorus of "Welcomes" and praise for the El Dorado rums...which reminds me that my 15yo is getting low...

Last edited by Dood; 05-08-2008 at 02:44 AM.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #28
Lew Barrett

I enjoyed a glass of ED12 with a Padron 1964 last night. What a screaming combo!
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #29
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
I understand Demerara has significant stock of bulk aged rums available and supplies product for numerous private labels. Is that true?
We have warehousing capacity of about 60000 to 65000 barrels. Most of these rums are for our marks but we do sell small quantities to private labels.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #30
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
...which reminds me that my 15yo is getting low...
Refill immediately. Too late,too late will be the cry of many.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers