MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

89 years ago in 1930, the Barceló rum company was established in the Dominican Republic.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008, 02:41 AM   #11
JMac

Welcome....love the El Dorado 5, 12, and 15 year. Hate the fact that the BCLDB has discontinued the El Dorado line.

Last edited by JMac; 05-06-2008 at 12:33 AM.
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Rumpelteazer

Sad that El Dorado is also not available in Pennsylvania.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
Don Piero

This past weekend, I was able to try the El Dorado Single Barrel and will admit I was disappointed. Happy I did not shell out the $99 Cdn to buy it, but disappointed in the taste profile. Although this is a good rum, the distinctive Demerara flavor that is so prevalent in your other rums is not present in this one. This leads me to believe that there is a lot of blending in the 15 and 21yr olds to get that distinctive taste.
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
Carl, welcome aboard. There are many big fans of your rums here, including myself. I'd like to visit the distillery sometime later this year to learn more about the process and the art of making rum in Guyana.
Please feel free to let me know when you are in Guyana and I will surely tour you our distillery. We have also started a rum heritage centre to reflect our 350+ years in rum production in Guyana. You are welcome to visit this also.
El Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
Welcome to the forums! I have sung the praises of your rums many times on this forum. If you might, I would love to know a little more about how you create these great blends of rum.(within reason, of course. I know there are things that we wont be privy to) The blending and aging process, how you deal with the Angel's share, etc. Thank you, Mr Kanto! Salud!
For any great product the starting ingredients are the most important players - in our case it is the products that we put to age. We have kept to tradition - rums we have produced over the last 31/2 centuries we still do produce today, same quality. Unlike other producers who hve moved to producing light rums we have kept to our unique Demerara flovours that had made our rums then and now the best in the world.
With respect to the Angel's share, it is a little on the higher side but that is what makes it so different - the rum works the barrels more under our conditions.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #16
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
Welcome....love the El Dorado 5, 12, and 15 year. Hate the fact that the BCLDB has discontinued the El Dorado line.
Hope they reconsider reintroducing the El Dorado line - you can't keep a good rum down.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by el dorado View Post
... the rum works the barrels more under our conditions.
Do you use barrels other than oak? What sizes of barrels?
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #18
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by el dorado View Post
For any great product the starting ingredients are the most important players -
How many different stills are used? Obviously the 2 wooden pot stills and the wooden Coffey still. What others?
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Piero View Post
This past weekend, I was able to try the El Dorado Single Barrel and will admit I was disappointed. Happy I did not shell out the $99 Cdn to buy it, but disappointed in the taste profile. Although this is a good rum, the distinctive Demerara flavor that is so prevalent in your other rums is not present in this one. This leads me to believe that there is a lot of blending in the 15 and 21yr olds to get that distinctive taste.
Sorry that you were disappointed. All of our rums are blended rums between continuous and pot still rums to give that unique blends of flovours the makes up the bouquet of the rum. With the single rums, these are distillate from one still, aged and bottled. They are quite unique in their flavours - the single barrel ICBU is from the 4 column savalle still, light and has a sugary type of aroma, the single barrel EHP is from the wooden coffey still, medium and has a fruity aroma, the single barrel PM is from the double wooden pot still, heavy and has more woody potty aroma, more like a cognac. So you see we have different rums for different individuals depending on their taste. Probably if you had known what to expect you would not have been disappointed.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM   #20
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
Do you use barrels other than oak? What sizes of barrels?
Only oak barrels are used and they are approximately 205 litres in total volume.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers