MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

59 years ago in 1960, Embottelladora Azuaya SA was established in Ecuador.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Tiare

Default Demerara Rum Heritage Centre

Hi Carl! would you like to tell us a little about the Demerara Rum Heritage Centre?

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiare View Post
Hi Carl! would you like to tell us a little about the Demerara Rum Heritage Centre?
Sure, why not?
Even though in Guyana we have been in rum production for over 3 1/2 hundred years, there is very little record and/or artifacts relating to this activity. Demerara Distillers Limited decided that you cannot have the world best rums and unable to trace its evolution. As a result the idea of a rum museum was born and this became a reality March, 2007.
At present in the Rum Heritage Centre we have on display a batch redistillation still that was used in the early 1940s, two hydrostatic pressure controlers that were used on the Savalle stills in the early 1950s, a small copper double retort pot still that was used to do experiment rum, a wooden steam boiler manufactured in 1945, a plate heat exchanger, a molasses clarifier/yeast seperator, models of the Savalle still, the modern metal Coffey still, the double wooden pot still, the wooden Coffey still and a Brigs gin still. There are also a number of photographs of activities tha took place in the company over the years. There are a few bottles of product that were produced years ago and a small amphitheater where visitors can view videos on the company's operations. Most importantly there is the Display and sampling bar where all the premium products are on display. This bar is made from old oak barrels - the sides (top and bottom), display centres and bar stools. We are hoping that over time we can add items, with the help of the public, to make the Heritage Centre a show piece to truely depict the rich history of rums in Guyana.
We would be very grateful if any one reading this note has any thing that they can contribute, whether information, literature, items, anything to do with rum can please contact me.
El Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
The Rum Ambassador

Smile

Carl.
You forgot to mention the old bottle of "King of Diamonds", that sits nonchalantly on a barrel near the bar. I tried to steal it but settled for a 15 year old from Carl instead...Or was it 12 year old ?

But the Heritage centre is an amazing journey into the history an heritage of Guyanese rum.

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rum Ambassador View Post
Carl.
You forgot to mention the old bottle of "King of Diamonds", that sits nonchalantly on a barrel near the bar. I tried to steal it but settled for a 15 year old from Carl instead...Or was it 12 year old ?

But the Heritage centre is an amazing journey into the history an heritage of Guyanese rum.
Hi Ian,
Great to hear from you. Yes I did forgot to mentioned the K of D 12 years old. That's the fore runner to the present El Dorado 12 years old special reserve. And most obvious it was the 12 years old you settled for. And by the way I have some wonderful pictures on the trip to Kaieture falls. I will be sending them to you and the rest of the team. By the time you return next trip I will transform the Heritage Centre into a place that will make you drink El Dorado forever.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
RonJames

Carl, I love history and I love rum, when you put the two together it makes me very happy. Not to bring up competitors but more in a light to show that you are on the right track, one of the best things about Bacardi is there tour and how they show you the history and pride in there product. It appears you are doing the same and I wish to thank you and congradulate you in advancing guyana rum through the past. I can honestly say that this would be my top destination when visiting guyana.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
Carl, I love history and I love rum, when you put the two together it makes me very happy. Not to bring up competitors but more in a light to show that you are on the right track, one of the best things about Bacardi is there tour and how they show you the history and pride in there product. It appears you are doing the same and I wish to thank you and congradulate you in advancing guyana rum through the past. I can honestly say that this would be my top destination when visiting guyana.
Thanks Ron.
When you visit Guyana please let me know. You will enjoy your visit to the land of Liquid Gold - El Dorado. I will tour you our facility and you will never regret.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
Fabio

Carl,
I live in Venezuela and I am a big defender and lover of the Rum heritage here. I am surprised that in Venezuela the Rum consumption is very small compared to wiskie, even though we have best in class Rum brands like Santa Teresa, Diplomatico and Pampero. One of the distillers (Santa Teresa) they have kind of museum in where they show a lot of the histrory and heritage; actually, the have something called LA RUTA DEL RON which is a tour they offer inside their Plant to show the rum process and the history from past to present. It is a very nice tour.

El Dorado has a great selection of Rums, line-up is very large with a broad selection of aged Rums. Is there any distributor of your brand in Venezuela?. The two countries are so close that maybe I could find some of it around but so far I have not seen any bottle in the stores.

Many thanks for your comments in this forum, it is nice to learn more about the Rum history and this makes more holistic the expeirience when drinking a good Rum...

Regards, Fabio.
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Meet the Distiller / Blender > Meet Carl Kanto from Demerara Distillers