MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

82 years ago in 1937, Grenada Sugar Factory was established on Grenada.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Bill.Connelly

Default Edmond Briottet Rhum Santa Marita?

Hey guys,
I'm planning on reviewing "Rhum Santa Marita" from Edmond Briottet for my website. And I was wondering if anybody knew anything at all, about it? i.e. where it comes from, whether it is really Rhum Agricole, how old it might be etc... All I can find is from the Edmond Briottet website that says (excuse the translation from French, a la google):

"CANE SUGAR: In December January, the canes are flowers (arrows). highly mechanized harvesting today, is from February to June The cane stalks are cut closer to the ground. Then, the transport of cane by trucks and tractors (they replaced the cabrouet, ox cart with two wheels and flatbed). There are two methods of production, totally different but the final product called Rum: the RUM AGRICOLE and RUM (known professionally yet rhuml industrial). RUM: After extraction of sugar cane, the stalks are left to ferment. When all the residual sugars are transformed into alcohol, the juice is distilled."

i.e. that is no use. On the label, it says: "Appellation d'Origine De Iles Francaises Santa Marita", so from that I take it is non-AOC, and just from the French Islands. But has anyone ever heard of Santa Marita?

Any general thoughts on what where and how, in regards to this rum would be appreciated too.
Bill.Connelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

This is another attempt by a French bottler to sell rhum of dubious origin to people that don't know about the Appellations for rhum. Since the label talks about the cane season being in the early months of the year, this would have to be in the northern Hemisphere. Appellation d'Origine De Iles Francaises Santa Marita exists only in the mind of the bottler. There is no Santa Marita in the Caribbean. While you were getting the google translation for the label you should have looked for Santa Marita there as well. Google is pretty good when it comes to geography.

Looks to me like someone sent you a bottle to get some publicity for another imposter rum sold by a blender with the integrity of a political candidate. Am I being too hard on Edmond Briottet? The people that regulate Appellations don't think so. I'll put my reputation on the line here. Edmond Briottet bought this rum from a negociant and no one will every admit that it doesn't come from Iles Francaises Santa Marita.

How about introducing yourself in the Introduction Section of the forums while you're at it Bill? Maybe you can establish more credibility than the rum you just reviewed.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
gordonbeall

pretty wild... ! So, Ed, how often do you run into this sort of thing? It's hard to imagine that it is a common occurrence, but then, I can be pretty naive, despite the age.
gordonbeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I don't look for these things but there are more out there than would like to be mentioned on this site. When I see something as blatant as this I mention it. French blenders are the most arrogant but then that product probably isn't being sold in the US. There are others that are being sold in the US that blatantly violate the AOC regulations. I'm not the rum police, but this site is widely read by people who do work with the AOC and other agencies who are dedicated to fair and honest marketing.

Unfortunately, products like this that aren't sold in France are harder for the French authorities to sort out, even though the bottler is in France.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
gordonbeall

Since I am heading to France in about 10 days, a great heads up.. but then all I was going to look for was cheaper La F, Neisson, J Rhum, known labels, knock off a bottle or two there, then head home with whatever i can find at CDG...
gordonbeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
gmarket

i've had to delay my trip to france, but you might want to try and get yourself into a nicolas shop:- http://www.nicolas.com/en/ourstores_...ourstores.html
they're completely rubbish in england, but the french shops tend to have a good range
gmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Jolipapa

I checked with amusement the Santa Marita rhum.
Of course that island does not exist, I think it comes from Marie-Galante or Guadeloupe and so can sport the "Appelation d'Origine" absolutely legally. I don't think they sell a lot, maybe is it aimed to restaurants and the like.

If you want to get white and ambré agricole rhum, go to the next superette or supermarket (Auchan, Carrefour, Leclerc, Dia, etc.) You'll find them cheaper than Nicolas.

Nicolas is OK for older units, but they are not cheap and have not a wide choice. Check for promotions. Locals wine shops are also good places to find older rhums.
Jolipapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole