MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

107 years ago in 1913, Destileria Colombiana was established in Columbia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
WTV Rum

Default Angostura 1824 - Diesel?

I recently bought a bottle of Angostura 1824 - there are some good qualities to it - but it predomently tastes like diesel exhaust! Has anyone else had this experience and is there a way (besides mixing with a soft drink) to minimize it?

Thanks for any help!
WTV Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

The 1824 is a spicy, robust rum and it won't suit everyone. I'm sure it'll taste better by the end of the bottle.........especially if you drink it in one sitting.....
Old 05-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
Mr Fjeld

I like it - but it is a little strange. Winegum is an impression which stuck with me.
Mr Fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
primate77

"Good qualities... and diesel exhaust" don't really go well together in one sentence!

Paul has the right note here - by the bottom of the bottle, in one sitting, it WILL taste better!

Better advice, give the remainder of the bottle to an ex-wife you really can't stand, or to an old boss who perhaps fired you, or you just never saw eye to eye with.
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Hank Koestner

This is an interesting rum with a unique taste. It is quite smoky. I think it might be the only rum that has "leather" as a major tasting note in my notes.
You might try a touch of water or a small ice cube. This rum is "tight" and it opens up a bit with H2O.
If you are a cigar smoker, I find that this rum goes well with a medium to full bodied earthy cigar.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #6
Lew Barrett

I'm an Angostura fan and find Hank's comments very on target. This is a powerful, very unique tasting rum with a strong leather note, not that I eat much leather on a regular basis. At a guess, it's probably advisable to start the high end Angostura line at 1919, rather than 1824. If you like 1919, you might like 1824, which is similar, but much more aggressive. 1824, I think, is probably a rum that nobody is wishy-washy about. You like it or you don't. But, give it a chance and go back to it in a few days. You might find it has grown on you. It's very highly regarded by my friends, who consider it something of an exotic. And as Hank has said, like ED15, it stands up to the most powerful cigars.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
RumBarPhilly

I hate negative talk to the 1824, my favorite rum. That predominant flavor is in no way diesel, I cant even imagine it. Im smelling it right now... niiiice... anyway, i find that strange predominant flavor to remind me of wax. I can see leather too. Regardless of what it is, i find that it tastes brilliant. The 1919 has the same flavors but definitely lacks some roundness but does have an added hint of vanilla.

If I were holding onto my wife's hand and the last case of 1824 and they were slipping over the edge of the cliff, I would have to debate the pros and cons to saving the rum first, haha.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
Mr Fjeld

Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to reject other person's impressions? After all, one man’s meat is another man’s poison, right? Many rums, whiskies, cognacs etc have dominating flavours and many people find such flavours less than agreeable. It's perfectly possible to like some of the scents and flavours while at the same feel other flavours ruin the beverage on the whole.
Mr Fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
BarNowON

I very like 1824, it's a rum that has so much character, and it is also what I call a bargain (12 years Old for $70 or Ј35...).
As a bartender, 1824 gives you the opportunity to make many cocktails that usually call for bourbon or American whisky.
For example, an 1824 Sazerac, Old Fashioned, Manhattan etc...it works very well with that style of "Old School" drinks.
What's even better is that the guest at your bar will not end up with a massive bill (1824 is cheaper than JD single barrel for example).

I think that 1824 is a right choice to introduce your guests and bartenders to aged rum cocktails, and if you fancy it on its own, for me the cigar on the side is a perfect match.

Cheers
Mick
BarNowON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Hank Koestner

This is the type of rum that will bring forth many different opinions because of the robust flavor it provides. It also highlights the fact that we all have preferences as to what we like.This rum might take someone back a little at the first taste. I think it gets even better with a very small touch of water. You get those dominating robust flavors, and more subtle notes come through as well. I will always have it on my shelf, especially for cigars.
Since I am a fan of the Old School drinks, I like trying good sipping rums with them.
I never thought of trying this rum in a Manhatten, but I will now. Sweet or dry vermouth?

I had a rum Manhatten last night at Tommy Bahama cafe, made with Babancourt 15. It was delicious.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions