MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

38 years ago in 1982, South Pacific Distillery was established in Nelson, New Zealand.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
CaptCanuck

Smile Rum Collector who doesn't drink.

Hi Rum lovers community...

I am in Montreal Canada and have been collecting rums and other bottles, on & off since 1990.I cannot stand the taste of ANY alcohols and believe me I have tried 100's, none the less I love to collect the stuff.

I bought a bottle of Mezcal(worm inside) while in Guatemala in 1990 and never opened it. After that I started asking my friends that visit Guatemala to bring me back a bottle everytime they visited the country. Slowly but surely I started buying some Scotch and then Wiskey.Kinda stuck to Wiskey for a while but am now back to buying Rums.

I love to read what people think about the contents of the bottles I own and it's helping me along with my collecting a lot.For Example I regret buying Appleton 30 for 400$+ when I can get Zacapa XO for 85$.I figured Appleton HAD to be fantastic at that price but ALL the critics I read on it grade it lower than Zacapa 23(never mind XO) and even cheap Havana Clubs.Same goes for my Diplomatico 12 which was 40$, all say it beats Appleton 30 hands down.

So I may not drink the stuff but truly do appreciate all the knowledge people share on this forum and hopefully will keep on learning more about bottles I own and ones I will want to own from reading posts here.

J from Montreal
CaptCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
djmont

Welcome to Dante's Ninth Level of Hell.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

My Lord, having a collection and not wanting to taste it must be like my wife seeing a diamond ring and not wanting to buy it - a state of affairs I must strain my imagination to accept :-)

I gave the Appleton 30 a positive review, but thought it missed that totally winning combo which made me so enjoy the English Harbour 1981; and in the last while, I think I may have even been too positive. So your experience is not atypical with this one. For what it's worth, the Arctic Wolf was the only person I know of who flat out said right from the get go that it was an overrated rum.

Keep collecting and have fun. And taste once in a while...it may even be worth it.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Wasatch

Welcome!
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Jamie76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCanuck View Post
Hi Rum lovers community...

I am in Montreal Canada and have been collecting rums and other bottles, on & off since 1990.I cannot stand the taste of ANY alcohols and believe me I have tried 100's, none the less I love to collect the stuff.

I bought a bottle of Mezcal(worm inside) while in Guatemala in 1990 and never opened it. After that I started asking my friends that visit Guatemala to bring me back a bottle everytime they visited the country. Slowly but surely I started buying some Scotch and then Wiskey.Kinda stuck to Wiskey for a while but am now back to buying Rums.

I love to read what people think about the contents of the bottles I own and it's helping me along with my collecting a lot.For Example I regret buying Appleton 30 for 400$+ when I can get Zacapa XO for 85$.I figured Appleton HAD to be fantastic at that price but ALL the critics I read on it grade it lower than Zacapa 23(never mind XO) and even cheap Havana Clubs.Same goes for my Diplomatico 12 which was 40$, all say it beats Appleton 30 hands down.

So I may not drink the stuff but truly do appreciate all the knowledge people share on this forum and hopefully will keep on learning more about bottles I own and ones I will want to own from reading posts here.

J from Montreal
This is truly puzzling to me. I do understand the idea behind collecting spirits. However, if you are going to collect, why wouldn't you go for the the more expensive and rarer bottlings? You say you regret buying Appleton 30 for $400+ because critics graded it lower than Zacapa XO at $85. Why would you care if you are never going to taste it and decide for yourself? What if a bunch of critics gave a $8 bottle of rum great marks, would you buy it based on that? What would happen if a month down the road, an equal amount of critics gave it poor marks? Dispose of it? I mean no disrespect in my post, but like I said, I'm puzzled.
Jamie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
djmont

Good point. Who cares if it tastes like shit if you're never going to drink it?

Sadly, I've bought rums that tasted bad -- but I drank them anyway.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Raefus Authenticus

Wink

Hi, CaptCanuck.

The idea that you collect bottles of liquor, if you
Quote:
cannot stand the taste of ANY alcohols
, is so bizarre to me that I have the following two reactions to it:

1. You're joking.

or

2. You're wasting your money.

If you're joking, nice trolling.

If you're wasting your money, that's your business and my personal judgement; however I suggest collecting something that you actually enjoy all facets of.

Here are a few suggestions:

Magazines: you can collect them for their rarity/collectability and their content (tip: choose magazines that are based on subjects that you actually enjoy reading about).

Cars: you can collect them for their rarity/collectability and the way they drive (tip: choose cars that you can race or present at shows, if that's your thing. If you don't have a driving licence, I suggest collecting something else).

Model train sets: you can collect them for their rarity/collectability and the cool 'choo-choo' noises that they make (tip: choose engines and carriages with colourful designs, so that they liven-up the livingroom and create a point of discussion for your guests who don't know much about trains. If you're married, that might stop your wife from leaving you).

Well, there are some suggestions for you; if you still think collecting bottles of stuff that you hate the taste of is a great idea, then good luck with your next 'revolting' purchases.
Raefus Authenticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
chrism76

With all due respect!
That's his business.

Last edited by chrism76; 01-28-2012 at 08:53 PM.
chrism76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
djmont

While it may be his "business," he did invite discussion of it. It would be ruder to just ignore him.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
chrism76

Perhaps it would be "ruder"
But not as rude as suggesting collecting something else and treating him like he was 10 years old.
chrism76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions

Tags
collection , havana club , ron botran , zacapa