MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

137 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
az1919

Default Rum in a barrel

First off, new guy here. I do enjoy rum and it appears that this is the place to come for information. I asked a question a couple of years ago on some other rum forum that had almost zero hits and my question went unanswered.

Is there a way to buy a barrel of rum? I would prefer Appleton but any quality dark rum would interest me. A collectors or limited edition of 5 or 10 gallons would be ideal (to keep cost reasonable). Maybe it is just me, but I would like to say, "I buy my rum by the barrel".

The closest I can find is the do it yourself kit at 1000oaksbarrel.com. My understating is rum is usually placed in used whiskey barrels and these new barrels would age rum differently than real rum barrels.

While typing this it occurred to me to ask if anyone has used a new oak barrel to store their rum? If so, did it age the rum favorably?

I wanted to ask this question in the Appleton thread but when I log in the thread disappears and when I return to it through my cache it says I cannot access the page.
az1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1919 View Post
Maybe it is just me, but I would like to say, "I buy my rum by the barrel".
Crikey az1919, how much rum do you get through?

One of the great things about buying rum in more regular-sized containers (i.e. 75cl bottles) is that you can keep dozens of different examples at one time, and then sample whichever one you want whenever you want.

However, I cannot really see the advantage of keeping rums by the barrel. Can you let us know your reasons?
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #3
krustykrab

hmm... interesting idea... I, too, wonder about the advantages of doing this. I doubt you'll have much success buying a large bulk quantity from a distiller and getting it back to the states. If you want to do this just for experimentation purposes or to 'have a barrel of rum' I'd go with the 1000oaks barrel - they are available with a 'light char' in 3 or 5gal, I believe, then get a quality light rum that can be had fairly cheap - I'd go with Cruzan light (~$15/1.75L) and put it in the barrel If you'd like to age it and add more oak /smokey flavors and darken it, I've had good success at taking thin strips of oak and charring them on my wood fired grill and inserting them into your aging rum. (the more strips, the more surface area, the quicker it 'ages') Let age and enjoy! By the time you buy the barrel, the rum and let it age, you are probably better off just buying a bunch of quality rums, but if you want to age it yourself and have a barrel - there you go!

The other option - at least around here - one can buy used whiskey barrels at the farm store to use as rain barrels. But that is a LOT of rum!!!eek.gif
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
forrest

Quote:
First off, new guy here.
Well then first off-- welcome to the for-rum az1919!!

Quote:
Is there a way to buy a barrel of rum?
Here are a couple of ways:

Tanduay

Ron Barrelito

Probably hard to get shipped from wherever to wherever, if you can even order them, but both are great rum makers..

Quote:
The closest I can find is the do it yourself kit at 1000oaksbarrel.com.
That site looks like a good deal..

Here is a Rye /Corn Whiskey distillery that has a combo package including a barrel- maybe they will sell the barrel separately??
Or maybe you could just get the barrel (or any barrel) and purchase bulk rum from a 'regional' distiller???

Quote:
While typing this it occurred to me to ask if anyone has used a new oak barrel to store their rum? If so, did it age the rum favorably?
That is a good question, i sure someone somewhere has, but i haven't heard about the results. . . it sure sounds interesting..

Well have fun in your search...
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
TheRumelier

I have numerous small oak barrels, some with rum in. The best results have been to use white rums. Older rums don't have as good a result as you alter the original blend with the extra oak contact. I have a barrel full of Castillo Silver that has changed clour and profile tremendously after several months. I have emptied a couple of Brugal aluminum barrels into oak barrels, that was pretty successful. Failures have been a small spanish oak barrel I filled with Admiral Rodney. It is now very oaky and almost undrinkable, nothing like it's original smooth blend, even when I keep topping it up. I just acquired a personalised 1824 Angostura barrel. I have only put one bottle of 1824 in it and will drink it quickly so it doesn't alter the blend too much. All sorts of small oak barrels are avaiable on eBay, I even got an old British Naval Grog Tun recently, one of my prized possessions now, with "God Bless The Queen" in brass letters on the side.
It is nice to pour the rum from a barrel and looks great on any bar.
St.Nicholas Abbey in Barbados are offering barrels of rum for sale and they will even bottle the rum for you when it is aged to perfection. That might be worth a try:-
http://www.stnicholasabbey.com
I have a spare 195 liter barrel full of 2 year Angostura rum, available for $650 but pick-up only!!!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
I have a spare 195 liter barrel full of 2 year Angostura rum, available for $650 but pick-up only!!!!
I love that one! That's the real deal.

I have just ordered a 5 litre new American oak barrel from Thousand Oaks Barrel Co. Medium char. After curing the barrel, I'm filling it with Ron Canita white rum from Trigo Co.

I'll have a sample for those of you who are attending the Puerto Rico Rum Fest in late January.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 11-07-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
rumdog007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
I have numerous small oak barrels, some with rum in.

I have emptied a couple of Brugal aluminum barrels into oak barrels....

I have a spare 195 liter barrel full of 2 year Angostura rum...
I am imagining all of this... These are the posts that live for!
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
TheRumelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post

I'll have a sample for those of you who are attending the Puerto Rico Rum Fest in late January.
Looking forward to that. That is a pretty good rum, I picked up a bottle at San Juan airport on my way to St.Kitts earlier this year. Now you don't have to go back through security at Miami Airport I can put rum in my carry-on. I also got a bottle of Don Q Anejo and Barillito 3 star on the way back. I hope to hunt down some new rums for my collection while there for the rumfest in January.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest View Post
Or maybe you could just get the barrel (or any barrel) and purchase bulk rum from a 'regional' distiller???
Only a few distillers can actually sell you alcohol from their still. In accordance with the three tier system, distillers have to sell to distributors who can only sell to distributors who can only sell to the trade.

A few small distillers have been able to get state licenses so they can sell bottles in their gift shop.

A few years ago I aged some rums bought at liquor stores and aged it in a small barrel. In a cool climate it isn't too hard to keep up with the evaporation, but the wood influence can be hard to manage unless you have a lot of thirsty friends.

On my boat I keep a 5 liter barrel of rum and top it off with various bottled rums from the island liquor stores.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #10
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
A few years ago I aged some rums bought at liquor stores and aged it in a small barrel. In a cool climate it isn't too hard to keep up with the evaporation, but the wood influence can be hard to manage unless you have a lot of thirsty friends.
Good points Ed. I think in order to manage the oak influence, I will draw off two or three litres into clean bottles when I determine enough flavour imparted. Then top off the barrel with fresh rum. Having a stock of "bottled" home aged rum for give aways, or to bring to a gathering would be a fun thing I think.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 11-08-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions