MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

57 years ago in 1963, St Vincent Distillers Limited was established on St. Vincent.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Stamina1914

Default Going To Guatemala

So I have a buddy going back home to Guatemala in December. Last time he went, he brought me back a Bottle of Zacapa XO. That was 8 months ago and I still haven’t opened the bottle yet. I want to make sure that I had 2 bottles before I opened it. So I am going to ask him to bring me back another one. My question is what else should I ask him to get for me?

I have been thinking about the Zacapa 23 Etiqueta Negra (Black Label). But I don’t know if that is readily available there. But I guess if it can’t be found there, where else in the world would you find it? Does anyone have any knowledge about where he could easily find this in the country? By the way he is flying into Guatemala City.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of perhaps and easy to find rum there in Guatemala but one that is not readily available in the States? I’m all ears.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I do not know where any of you conjure up the self-restraint to leave unopened bottles of rum on your shelves for months at a time. I really don't....

Do you not wake up in a sweat in the middle of the night, with the bottle's siren call ringing in your ears? Drink meeeee, DRINK MEEEEEEEEEE!

By that point the bottle's in control but I rarely let it get that far.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
bunnyhugs

I was in Guatemala a few weeks back.

I checked out the duty free at the airports (Guatemala City and Flores), and they both carried a full range of Guatemalan rums. I can't recall if they had the specific Zacapa you mention, but they did have several varieties of the stuff (15yo, 23yo, XO, barrel strength, and perhaps one or two more).

They were doing a deal where you got free glasses when buying two bottles of Zacapa.

I never saw a bottle shop in Guatemala with a particularly impressive range of rum, so the airport seems as good an option as anywhere else.

If you don't want Zacapa you could think about the Botran Solera Rum (I think that's the name). It is the only Botran in a bulbous bottle, and their top of the line product. It's quite nice. Maybe it's not available in the US?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Stamina, I am interested in the Etiqueta Negra as well, I read that this is like the 23 but only blended with the best rums from Zacapa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulipbartender View Post
I do not know where any of you conjure up the self-restraint to leave unopened bottles of rum on your shelves for months at a time. I really don't....

Do you not wake up in a sweat in the middle of the night, with the bottle's siren call ringing in your ears? Drink meeeee, DRINK MEEEEEEEEEE!

By that point the bottle's in control but I rarely let it get that far.
Yes, yes we do. What makes it worse is that I sleep in the same room where my collection is and I also have my "office" set there where I write my reviews and articles.

Last edited by Count Silvio; 11-12-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Michael

There was a brief previous discussion of this rum in an earlier thread:

Zacapa Black Label with weave.

The upshot seems to be that the Etiqueta Negra is a newer, sweeter blend than the already sweet Red Label Centenario 23 Años.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Stamina1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
There was a brief previous discussion of this rum in an earlier thread:

Zacapa Black Label with weave.

The upshot seems to be that the Etiqueta Negra is a newer, sweeter blend than the already sweet Red Label Centenario 23 Aсos.
So the Zacapa that I can find in the stores right now in the US are they/were the red label ones or are they a totally new product.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhugs View Post
If you don't want Zacapa you could think about the Botran Solera Rum (I think that's the name). It is the only Botran in a bulbous bottle, and their top of the line product. It's quite nice. Maybe it's not available in the US?
Botran Solera 15 is available widely in Florida and quite a nice product.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
vincennes1897

The duty free store in the Guatemala City airport (La Aurora) will definitely be your best bet. Like mentioned earlier, they have a very large variety of Zacapa with different ages. Other than that, there is a liquor store in Zone 10 (near all the nicer hotels, bars, and clubs) which I believe is called "The Bottle Shop". That would also be a great place to look. Frankly though, most Zacapa is bought from the grocery store chain called "Paiz".

I would say that the duty free store would be the most convenient way to go about it though. Good luck!

-Miles
Old 12-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
vincennes1897

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
Botran Solera 15 is available widely in Florida and quite a nice product.
Botran Solera 15 is indeed a great product. You can also find Botran Anejo (12 years I believe) and it is most readily available. You can find it anywhere.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions