MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

62 years ago in 1959, Nepal Distilleries Pvt Ltd was established in Nepal.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
Ed,
Havana Club Barrel Proof... how can it be "barrel proof" but majestically it appears to always be bottled at a fixed 45% / 90є?

Is this another one of those "play on words" type of things dealing with old lore... something like Glenfarclas' 105? Or do they simply define higher strength as "barrel strength"?
I'm not in any position to interpret Cuban law, but having said that, my guess is that the other Havana Club rums aren't aged at 45% alcohol. One of the reasons distillers batch their barrels before bottling is so that they can adjust the alcohol content of the batch before bottling. Havana Club hasn't claimed that these are Single Barrel rums, but the Barrel Proof statement appears to be more of a marketing statement than a fact.

My guess, is that they are probably batching barrels of a higher proof (around 70 - 80 % abv), reducing the abv and then bottling from the batching vat, which could be called a barrel, and then calling the batched rum Barrel Proof. But then, I don't have any proof.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Of the Havana Club rums I've enjoyed, their old Anejo Reserva was my favorite for sipping. The lighter 3 year old white rum made a good daiquiri or mixer but I enjoyed sipping it. There are just too many other sipping rums on board.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Hank Koestner

I enjoy the HC 7, and the Anejo. Both are nice rums, with good flavor, on the lighter side, as far as sipping rums go for me. I really love the 3 for daquiris.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
Rum Runner

Default Judge kills Cuban lawsuit on Havana Club trademark

WASHINGTON (AP) March 30, 2009 — A federal judge dismissed a Cuban lawsuit Monday over the termination of U.S. trademark rights for its Havana Club rum, a victory for Bacardi's effort to take over the brand name as its own in the United States.

The dispute dates back decades and is entangled in property seizures during the Cuban revolution, the trade embargo with the island nation and U.S. trademark law.

Cuba's Havana Club is not sold in the United States because of the trade embargo, but the company got a U.S. trademark for the name in 1976 for future opportunities in case the embargo is lifted. French spirits producer Pernod Ricard has partnered with the Cuban government to sell Cuba's Havana Club internationally and has successfully driven up sales around the world outside the United States.

Cubaexport, Cuba's state-owned export enterprise, filed the lawsuit three years ago against the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control after the agency refused to allow renewal of its trademark.

Tom Gjelten, an NPR reporter and author of a book on the dispute, said Bacardi realizes it's possible the Cuba trade embargo could be lifted and Cuba's Havana Club could become a threat to its rum sales in the United States.

Gjelten said Bacardi shrewdly bolstered its case by getting Congress to pass a law in 1998 that prevents the registration or renewal of trademarks connected with companies nationalized by the Cuban government.

U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth cited that law Monday in his decision to throw out Cubaexport's case.

"What this decision seems to be is one more nail in the coffin for Pernod Ricard trying to hold onto its use of the Havana Club trademark in the United States," said Gjelten, author of "Bacardi and the Long Fight for Cuba."

Cubaexport attorney Vincent N. Palladino said they will appeal the decision. "The decision, and the process OFAC followed in denying Cubaexport a license, are especially disappointing given that U.S.-Cuba policy is under review," Palladino said in an e-mail.

Bacardi fought to have Cuba's trademark canceled and is now selling its own Havana Club rum in limited quantities in Florida, made in Puerto Rico so it doesn't violate the trade embargo. Bacardi has an application pending to register the mark in its own name.

As Bacardi explains it, Havana Club rum was developed in 1935 by a family owned Cuban company, Jose Arechabala SA. When Fidel Castro rose to power, the family's plant and trademark were seized and the Cuban government began producing rum under the Havana Club label. Bacardi bought the original recipe and the Havana Club name from the Arechabala family in 1994.

"We are the legitimate owners of the brand," said Patricia M. Neal, spokeswoman for Bacardi USA Inc. "We're thrilled that once again the U.S. courts have upheld these laws."
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
curoswiss

Great Rum info.

They will dominate the US market when the trade embargo is dropped. I clearly understand why they are making such moves in the US Court System.

I always choose Havana Club over Bacardi and I'm sure 'allot' of Future US buyers will do the same.

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
curoswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
RonJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by curoswiss View Post

I always choose Havana Club over Bacardi and I'm sure 'allot' of Future US buyers will do the same.
Ya know, im not sure. Look at the product lines. HC seems to produce in ascending age light, refined, somewhat spicy rums. Bacardi puts out vodka-flavored like rums. Examples...limon, apple, watermelon, coco, etc. Unfortunately most buyers in the US buy the flavored stuff, same with vodka. Bacardi's strength lies in its marketing along with their VERY shrewd business moves. That being said when that embargo is lifted you(curoswiss), me, and everyone on this board is cheering with a nice glass of HC.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News