MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

259 years ago in 1762, Destileria Carupano C.A. was established in Venezuela.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
Ellis34

Default spice enhancing question

I have had mixed results trying to add spices to rums to change the flavor characteristics. I made a very good vanilla rum from Mount Gay eclipse, and some pear flavored eclipse. However, I can't seem to get the flavors right for a true spiced rum. My problem is either put in too much of any spice and it overpowers, or way too little. Do any of the experts have a good recipe for spicing up some rum? ( I know that truely the best recipe is to go buy a good bottle, but I am trying to experiment).

Thanks in advance for any information.
Ellis34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
Rum Runner

Trying to spice or flavor a whole bottle is very tricky as you have found out.

One thing I like to do is break down a bottle of 100 proof or stronger white rum into smaller bottles and then macerate different ingredients in each. I then add small amounts of the flavored bottles to a basic white rum to achieve the flavor profile I'm looking for. This type of basic fractional blending allows better control in achieving the desired results.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
black_strap

I actually just recently spiced a bottle of Mount Gay Eclipse using this recipe: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123395505336458213.html

A pro-tip for this process is to use as many whole spices/pieces of zest, etc. that you can, so that each day during the infusion, you can taste the speciment and remove a portion of or all of a certain ingredient if it begins to overpower the others.

My final product was wonderful, better than any spiced rum I've ever bought.
black_strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
One thing I like to do is break down a bottle of 100 proof or stronger white rum into smaller bottles and then macerate different ingredients in each. I then add small amounts of the flavored bottles to a basic white rum to achieve the flavor profile I'm looking for. This type of basic fractional blending allows better control in achieving the desired results.
This is exactly what i had in mind to say, this is the best way to do it, and also when making bitters, and taste-test often.

Also a good idea is to study the flavors, the fruits, the spices etc before starting.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
krustykrab

Default spiced rum

I have had some good success making a spiced rum. Although I did not separate the components into different bottles, I kind of had the same idea. I started with ~500ml of overproof rum that I had oak 'aged' or enhanced (see the other thread about this)

Then I added in whole cloves(10), whole peppercorns(10), whole cardamon(5), a 1 inch chunk of cinnamon, and a 2x2cm square of orange peel. I suspected that some flavors (orange) would develop more quickly. I would shake the bottle vigorously every time I walked past. The orange flavor developed after about 8 hours only and I removed the peel. The cinn, I removed after a couple of days, the rest I left in there about a week, shaking once a day or so. After I removed everything, the smell and taste were amazing - better then ANY spiced rum I had ever had commercially. It was a huge hit all winter, esp at the holidays, with family and friends! I need to get back and make some more soon!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Vanpatt

I decided to create my own spiced rum after reading this thread and started with the recipe suggested by blackstrap and used the Eclipse as well. It's on day two now and smells and tastes quite good. I think I might remove the cinnamon and orange tonight and let it sit a little while longer.

Then I tried this recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Spiced-Rum-121039

I like the idea of using hot peppers and used half the amount of jalapeno's. I took a sip last night and it just about killed me. I removed the peppers immediately and now am not sure if I should blend this to soften the taste or just get rid of it. If I ever try this again it will be with a tiny piece of pepper!
Vanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
black_strap

I used ground cinnamon instead of the stick because I that's all I had and was impatient.

The quality difference between cinnamon sticks and ground cinnamon notwithstanding, I wish I had used the stick because even though my end product was great, it was just a bit too strong on cinnamon.

Yeah, I wouldn't even try infusing with chiles. If you really wanted to do it, you should probably infuse some chile rum on the side and meticulously blend it how you please.

Also, just as a side note: I put some grapefruit peel also into my spiced rum infusion, and it's freaking wonderful.

http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com
black_strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
Vanpatt

I think on my third day now the chile infused rum is starting to mellow (no longer bringing tears to my eyes!). It may yet be salvageable.

I like the idea of Grapefruit zest, I hadn't thought of that one but will have to give it a try. I'm going to try a lime and/or lime coconut infused rum as my next experiment. I figure I could at list use this as a good mixer if it doesn't quite turn out as expected.
Vanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
wetland10

I know this thread is a bit dated, but I had read the WSJ article and want to try the recipe with a few different rums. I'm working on that now. Aside from Eclipse, has anyone had a positive experience with anything else? I was thinking of spicing several types of rums to see what happens. I guess a white, a dark, and maybe a black like Cruzan Blackstrap. That might end up like The Kraken.

Wayne
wetland10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
RonJames

spiced rums seem to be taking off right now (commercially). Usually people start off with a white rum as the barrel aging doesn't mix as much with the spices. But thats the great thing about home done spice rums, no wrong way
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions