MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

58 years ago in 1963, Ron Montero S.L. was established in Spain.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #21
MarkVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
And this, for better or worse, makes him an American icon. He did work himself up the ladder from nothing. If you listen to his music, he is mostly a story teller, and you can't help but smile. His concerts are quite a bit of fun. As far as the Tiki culture compared to other Island lifestyles, well, it's all about rum to me!
^ I'll agree with that. I've been a big fan of his for years, own plenty of CDs, though I've never managed to get tickets to a show. I love the stories in his songs. They're not ground-breaking songs by any means, they probably don't deserve the awards they've never won, but I think they're fun, they make me smile, think about easy times on a gorgeous beach and take me away from the rat race for a few moments. As much as JB is an 'island' personality, I've always wondered why he never had a rum line. I'm hopeful the new booze will be worth drinking, and I'll certainly buy a bottle and drink it with an open mind before passing judgement.

As for the fans and his business dealings, I'm not sure where the problem is. He's managed to capitalize on a massive image he created from nothing but a beach bum's lifestyle. Personally, I'm impressed. He must have realized his music was going down hill some time ago, it's not nearly as popular as it once was, so he adapted, diversified, and created his 'empire'. Whether you think it's cheesy or not, it's worked, and it's worked well.
MarkVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #22
Bill
Liberated from the Rum Lovers Forums

I'm not a huge fan but it's hard not to be when you visit the Keys. What amazes me about the guy, who really did come up the hard way, is the diversity of his talents. Singer, songwriter, recording studios, restaurant chains, writer of some interesting novels, conservationist, pilot of seaplanes, etc.

I enjoyed his books.

Looks like his tequila got mixed reviews, but he's also behind Land Shark beer which was pretty successful. It will be interesting to see what kind of rum he comes up with, but I don't think I'll be seeing it anytime soon up here in Ohio.

As far as Tiki goes (we had a pretty neat tiki nightclub in Cleveland), I think people were pretty tikied out by the time Buffet came around.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #23
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

but he's also behind Land Shark beer which was pretty successful.
Land Shark... I refused to buy this for the bar, tasted like pee. Id much rather drink a Carib or Presidente any day. Shoot... Id rather have a Corona or Sol!
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #24
Bill
Liberated from the Rum Lovers Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
Land Shark... I refused to buy this for the bar, tasted like pee.
Hmmm. I guess I'll leave the comparisons to the professionals, lol. But someone has to do it.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #25
RumBarPhilly

Its all in the marketing, with a good campaign, people will buy it and THINK that they like it. (Case in point- Corona)

As for products like Miller Chill and (What were they thinking) Bud Lime, doesnt matter how much you market it, its a bad idea.
Philadelphia, PA
Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #26
primate77

Adam - I agree. Pacifico is not bad though. Hard to get, but try to get your hands on some Fat Squirrel by New Glarus Brewing out of New Glarus, WI. Very nice.

Miller Chill, Bud Lime... isn't this all basically rehash of that dreadful "Tequiza" or however you spell it, beer that was out a few years back. Awful.:eek:
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #27
tym2relax

Land Shark beer brewed by Anheuser-Busch. Wow, you would think he could find a better brewer to make this stuff. A Buffet fan gave me one to try and I could not believe how bad this was.

I would not expect any better from the rum.
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #28
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by primate77 View Post
Adam - I agree. Pacifico is not bad though. Hard to get, but try to get your hands on some Fat Squirrel by New Glarus Brewing out of New Glarus, WI. Very nice.

Miller Chill, Bud Lime... isn't this all basically rehash of that dreadful "Tequiza" or however you spell it, beer that was out a few years back. Awful.:eek:
Ahh... Tequiza... the beer that came out when I was 19 and by the time I was of legal drinking age, it didnt exist anymore. So despite never trying it, I do know that these "tropical-infused" beers are never any good. Perhaps they need a Jamaican in a tux screaming Hoo-Ray Beer!

Not too familiar with Fat Squirrel whats it like?, what other beers does New Glarus make?
Philadelphia, PA
Old 07-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #29
Dood

Every time I try a tropical-infused beer, it turns out to be awful. That won't stop me from trying to brew my pineapple wheat beer though!! I can't be stopped!
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 AM   #30
primate77

Adam - Fat Squirrel is a nice, unfiltered ale. Their other popular ones that I know of are Spotted Cow, which is a fruity tasting lighter ale, and their Belgian Red, which is a "cherry beer" brewed with cherry, wheat and barley.

They produce 6 or 7 beers that are offered all year round, and a handful of seasonal beers, probably another 6 or 7 I'd guess.

Unfortunately, I think this beer is really hard to find outside of Wisconsin.

Tequiza when you were 19??? And I think somewhere you stated you were either 27 or 29 now? Was Tequiza that long ago??? Man time flies when some beers really sucked!
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News