MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

236 years ago in 1785, River Antoine Estate Ltd was established on Grenada.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 07-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Friday the Today Show aired their short Rum 101 segment. In case you're wondering, the cane fields in the segment are in Trinidad and the pot still shown in the clip is at the 10 Cane distillery.

Thanks to Martin Cate and the friendly folks at Forbidden Island for letting us film the introduction at their favorite bar.

You'll have to view a short commercial on MSNBC before the segment loads, but I hope you think it's worth the wait.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
angelsword

Nice little spot!
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 AM   #13
jlo mein

Not a bad segment, although the host lady is rather obnoxious, always interrupting the man.

I noticed lately on TV/magazines/subway posters that Bacardi has a huge marketing campaign going. Hopefully this brings more buyers into rum, and perhaps they will try rums other than Bacardi.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #14
Aaron Wolin

It pained me when she inquired about the "spicy" rums.

I really wish the hostess would have just let Phil talk a bit more about each type of rum. I saw a great deal of my friends on that table and was sad to see the hostess pass over them so quickly. I'm sure she only had a small amount of time allotted.

Overall it was a decent little segment for the brief timeslot. If it gets people noticing quality rum more and actually paying attention as to what goes into their drink than the segment did its job.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #15
Seahound

I found it to be quite watered down. All she seemed interested in was the cocktails. I'd prefer if rum stayed unfashionable. If it becomes trendy then prices go up, and I'm quite happy paying 35 dollars for a 15 year old rum. The first rapper to mention Santa Teresa is going to triple the price just like what happened with Henessy and Grey Goose.
Seahound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #16
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I've been watching the rum market for signs of price quality distortion for many years and I have to disagree. Grey Goose has always been one of the most expensive labels on the shelf, that was the model that the late Sidney Frank based his whole business on. Grey Goose hasn't tripled in price.

Unlike vodka, which can be distilled on Monday, bottled Tuesday, shipped Wednesday, delivered Thursday and drunk Friday, it takes years to make a good aged rum. During the years it takes to make good rum, fads and rappers come and go. The rum distillers who are in business today are in business because they didn't try to cash in on a quick mention of their products by someone who probably isn't going to be more than a short flash in the pan.

As rum becomes more popular, the price is certainly going to go up, and unfortunately, some of the rum brands are going to suffer in terms of the quality of the spirits behind the label. But the good news is that as demand increases, more rum producers will be able to come to the market. If you don't believe me, think back to the rum selection on the liquor store shelf in 1997, only ten years ago. I was standing in Sams Wine & Spirits, arguably one of the stores with the largest selections of wine and spirits in the US at the time, where they had only 7 rum labels in their rum shelf. Today there are about 50 rums, of which more than half of which are what I would consider to be good rums, worth drinking in cocktails or on the rocks.

There are a number of good rums being bottled that have never been exported from their country of origin.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
Scottes

Good point about the aging. But tequila would also fall under similar lines, considering how long blue agave takes to grow and the fact that many are aged at least for some time. But it did seem like tequila has gone through a serious "long term fad" that has caused high prices. (Well, it seems that way to me, though I haven't actually tracked it.)

So if tequila prices went through the roof, wouldn't it be possible for rum prices to do so, too? (Though we haven't seen a cane issue like the fungus problem that caused many problems with agave supply.)
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #18
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Tequila prices have risen in some sectors of that spirit class, most notably the higher quality tequilas. The big difference between rum and tequila is that rum can be made almost anywhere, even thousands of miles from a sugar cane field, while tequila can only be made in a relatively small region in Mexico. There are a number of rum producers who aren't exporting any of their rum, while almost every tequila distillery is running full tilt trying to keep up with the market demand and like real estate there isn't any more agave producing real estate on which to build. The rise in the price of bio fuels has driven some agave farmers to go back to other crops that yield more and better returns.
Ministry of Rum

Old 07-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #19
Scottes

Good points. You've made me less worried about the possibility of rum prices skyrocketing.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #20
Seahound

In that case I just can't understand why a relatively simple to produce spirit like vodka carries such a high price tag (relatively speaking). Maybe its just because I don't care for vodka. In any case I hope that rum prices stay down, though a better selection might be worth a mild price hike. Even in the case of trends and whatall, it's really just Big B and the Cap'n who are really popular (so far).
Seahound is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News

Tags
Rum 101 , Today Show , Rum Education , Rum Expert