MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

236 years ago in 1785, River Antoine Estate Ltd was established on Grenada.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > The Book Shelf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

The Book Shelf

Books of interest to Rum Lovers

Old 05-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
mikun

Default The Rum 1000

Just received a new book from Amazon....The Rum 1000 by Ray Foley, publisher of Bartender Magazine. Paperback, 6" x 8", 306 pages. $11.66

The five chapters break down as follows:

Chapter One - 4 pages - 75 Rum Facts
Basic stuff, nothing new for this forum's members

Chapter Two - 240 pages - 700 Rum Drink Recipes
The main part of the book, a interesting collection of cocktails using a wide variety of rums.

Chapter Three - 30 pages - 50 Food Recipes
Most of the recipes call for Bacardi or Puerto Rican rum, but I am sure some, if not most, would benefit from something richer.

Chapter Four - 4 pages - The names of 75 Rum Producers

Chapter Five - 4 pages - 100 Rum Websites

Glossary - 6 pages -Sections cover Tools,Glassware, Mixing Terms, Types of Drinks and How to Rim a Glass.

Interesting to see a cocktail book that includes recipes calling for Pyrat, 10 Cane, Flor de Cana, La Mauny, Starr African, Oronoco and Depaz rums.
mikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
TheRumelier

Just picked up a copy, even though the information about rum is very very limited it is an interesting cocktail book, which I will sit down and digest this weekend while watching some football and enjoying a rum or six
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
jrl915

Default Rum 1000 vs Caribe Rum by Plotkin

I have ordered Curtis' "And a Bottle of Rum" for a historical overview. Purely for cocktail recipes, would you recommend "Rum 1000" over Plotkin's "Caribe Rum?"
jrl915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Personally I would have a hard time recommending Robert Plotkins book as it has little original content. On the other hand, I took a quick look at Rum 1000 on Amazon and on page 1, there are 75 rum facts. I was surprised to read
The first still was built in 1893.
The first rum was exported to the US in 1897.
The first rum distillery in the United States appeared in 1664.

I'm not sure how the first rum distillery in the United States appeared more than a hundred years before there was a United States and more than two hundred years before the first still was built.

It is also well documented that following his election in 1776, George Washington ordered a hogshead of the best Barbados Rum for his inauguration party.

This looks like another book written for sponsors dollars. I get requests every day from publishers asking for sponsorship of their new book. Unfortunately, most of these books are painfully short of researched content.

I can recommend Wayne Curtis' book, it is very well researched and a very enjoyable read.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
jrl915

Default Best Rum Cocktail Book

Thanks for the insight. I've been primarily exploring premium sipping rums and thought I would look into some cocktail recipes after having my first caipirinha. I'll checkout the recipes in Curtis' book and go from there.
jrl915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
BaltRumFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Personally I would have a hard time recommending Robert Plotkins book as it has little original content. On the other hand, I took a quick look at Rum 1000 on Amazon and on page 1, there are 75 rum facts. I was surprised to read

I'm not sure how the first rum distillery in the United States appeared more than a hundred years before there was a United States and more than two hundred years before the first still was built.

It is also well documented that following his election in 1776, George Washington ordered a hogshead of the best Barbados Rum for his inauguration party.

This looks like another book written for sponsors dollars. I get requests every day from publishers asking for sponsorship of their new book. Unfortunately, most of these books are painfully short of researched content.

I can recommend Wayne Curtis' book, it is very well researched and a very enjoyable read.
Thanks for the info on Rum 1000. I downloaded the iBooks app for iPad and the first thing I looked for was Diffords. No copies were in the library but Rum 1000 was available...good to know from the first few pages there are some factual issues.
BaltRumFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I was surprised to read

I bought this book imperceptibly used for $5 a few months back and was just looking at the facts in the front for the first time today and was also surprised. I actually had to reread those first facts a few times to make sure I wasn't losing it. I was thoroughly confused... and totally sober.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > The Book Shelf