MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

55 years ago in 1966, Suriname Alcoholic Beverages NV was established in Suriname.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 12-02-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
Edward Hamilton
Founder

You have to consider that the ratings were a compilation of several tasters opinions. Last year in Miami, Bacardi Superior White won a gold medal by a group of people who have drunk at least their share of rum and I've been criticized for it ever since.

A lot of the tasting experience depends on what one has eaten or tasted, or not eaten or not tasted. I tend to look at all of these tastings as a guide rather than a definitive word. The only palate I really trust is my own. And I know it varies, almost as much as some of the spirits I taste. And believe me, traveling the country working with distributors, I see and taste a lot of different spirits every month. Nearly every distributor welcomes to their city and then asks me to taste a slew of spirits that have been sent to them by importers hoping that they will distribute their products.

As witnessed by Troy's interview and others, the most difficult part of an importers job is to find distribution so there are a lot of samples out there. Some are good, some are great, and some I wish I had never tasted. But it goes with the job.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Edoc

The author of the NYT article posted the following comment:

"For the record: Ron Zacapa 23 year, Angostura 1824, Flor de Cana Centenario, Rhum Homere Clement Cuvee Homere, and J.M. Rhum 1997 were all in our blind tasting, and none of them made our top 10. — Eric Asimov"

Please, Ed, now-- may I commence trashing this awful article?
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
eas

Take note that the tasting panel had the wine director from the Modern and NOT the bar manager who actually selects the rums they serve and oversees the cocktail selection. It's unfortunate the panel did not include anyone that has professional responsibilities for rum selections.

That said, I completely agree with the parting lines: "We’re talking personal preference here, but give me a younger rum with its distinctive cane flavors anytime. That, or a good ti’ punch."
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
leisure master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoc View Post
"For the record: Ron Zacapa 23 year, Angostura 1824, Flor de Cana Centenario, Rhum Homere Clement Cuvee Homere, and J.M. Rhum 1997 were all in our blind tasting, and none of them made our top 10. — Eric Asimov"
c'mon, this is a joke, right?

This article is just plain irresponsible - seriously, I now really question who was on this "panel of experts" and by what credentials does the NYT grant them a platform to be the arbiters of what is good rum. If I already didn't dislike the NYT....

There have been many many tasting competitions judged by those who know rum and I can't believe any of them would come ANYWHERE close to listing these specific rums in the same order as these people.

It really makes me question their opinions of things where I don't have any knowledge to know better.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
Rum Runner

I see that Eric Asimov is the wine critic for the NYT. Eric seems like a nice guy...I miss Frank Prial though. Florence Fabricant is a long time writer on food for the NYT, and Pete Wells is the dining editor. Belinda Chang hails from Chicago where she learned wine under Charlie Trotters wing...Did she ever meet Ed? Seems not.

Two things stand out for me in Asimov's article. First, if he really was interested in looking at the effect of aging on spirits, then why pick only rum?

Second, (given that he did choose rum) why did he not at least find a warm body somewhere in NYC that knows more than a little about it?

The fact that when he describes his own confusion about aged rum and turns to a Whiskey expert for help does not enhance his credibility in my opinion.

In the end it seems like Asimov cobbled together a group of friends and a group of bottles for a late afternoon session in the back office. Nothing wrong with that. It reads like a "neither fish nor fowl" piece. Given that he can draw on resources (tasters) for very fine and expensive wines to review at great length, he should have at least made the effort to find a few knowledgeable people about rum.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Edoc

I had St. James Hors d'Age for the first time last night. Very oaky-- I bet it would have performed well with the NY Times tasting panel. I made probably the best Mai Tai I've ever had with it (Appleton 12 yr + St. James for the win!).
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #17
Sluggonics

Yeah, I don't quite understand the purpose of this article. The author attaches no importance to the aging of spirits and is largely skeptical of the idea of aging at all. Which leads one to wonder why he bothered writing the article? The article boils down to "I don't see the point in aging liquor, and I don't really know much about rum. But here's a ranking of some random aged rums, with no supporting opinions by any other individuals who know anything about rum."

Thanks! But I could pull three people off the street and get a list of aged rums with as much meaning as this one.
Sluggonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Well, sometimes things are written solely because there is space to fill and there's a paycheck to be cashed to pay the rent. This wasn't the first article that did little to explain rum, there are websites, magazines and even books full of useless information.
Hopefully you'll be rewarded with more useful information in exchange for the time you spend here at the Ministry of Rum website.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #19
joergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Hopefully you'll be rewarded with more useful information in exchange for the time you spend here at the Ministry of Rum website.
I know I have always been. I've said it before, this is the rum place to be. What you can't find here, cannot be found, when it comes to rum. A big cheers to all of you who contributes!
joergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
Sluggonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Well, sometimes things are written solely because there is space to fill and there's a paycheck to be cashed to pay the rent. This wasn't the first article that did little to explain rum, there are websites, magazines and even books full of useless information.
I certainly believe the rum connoisseurs here at the Ministry of Rum can, and have, provided more useful opinions on fine rum!
Sluggonics is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News