MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

12 years ago in 2008, Montanya Distillers was established in Silverton, Colorado.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 12-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default West Indies Rum Refinery

West Indies Rum Distillery ups sales
Source: Nation News (Barbados)

Published on: 12/24/07.
WEST INDIES RUM DISTILLERY Limited (WIRDL) has made a dramatic improvement in its revenue with net income from its core operations significantly increased.
The company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Goddard Enterprises Limited, reported that its sales grew by 29 per cent to $36.17 million, up from $27.92 million in 2006.
According to highlights of the financial year ending September 30, 2007, published today, despite the improved revenue the company's net after-tax income, $3.24 million, was down slightly from the $3.36 million recorded in 2006.
A statement signed by chairman John Taylor and general manager Tracey Shuffler explained that "last year's one-off negative goodwill credit of $2 248 407, included in net income before tax, arose out of the acquisition of National Rums of Jamaica".
The rum manufacturer and exporter indicated that its working capital increased by 32 per cent to $11.64 million from $8.78 million as at September 2006.
"We continue to work very hard to control costs and improve operating efficiencies through ongoing investment and training.
"Demand for Barbados rum remains strong in international markets and we will continue with our efforts to maintain competitive pricing for our premium rums while increasing output capacity in line with our market opportunities," the top two WIRDL officials told shareholders.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
RumBarPhilly

Which rums are made at WIRDL?
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

West Indies most recognized products are Malibu rums, they also sell bulk rum to Hannschell Innis which is bottled as Cockspur. WIRR is a bulk distiller and aging warehouse in Barbados. Until RL Seale began distilling rum, that company bought most of their rum from WIRR for their Doorly's, Old Brigand and other brands. They also sell bulk rum to bottlers and blenders around the world.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Rum Runner

From that press release Ed..Did they aquire a company distillery in Jamaica also?
If so do you know which one?
Old 12-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I'm not clear if they bought all or part of the National Rums of Jamaica.
Ministry of Rum

Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
West Indies most recognized products are Malibu rums, they also sell bulk rum to Hannschell Innis which is bottled as Cockspur. WIRR is a bulk distiller and aging warehouse in Barbados. Until RL Seale began distilling rum, that company bought most of their rum from WIRR for their Doorly's, Old Brigand and other brands. They also sell bulk rum to bottlers and blenders around the world.
Do you suppose Lahaina rum is their distillate?
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Okay, thats the distillery I took a tour of. Ive never been super-impressed with any tour (Ive only been there and bacardi). I thought the impressive part was their ageing room which smelled nice.
Philadelphia, PA
Old 12-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
Okay, thats the distillery I took a tour of. Ive never been super-impressed with any tour (Ive only been there and bacardi). I thought the impressive part was their ageing room which smelled nice.
I'm not sure if you're referring to WIRR or RL Seale's Foursquare distillery but there isn't really a lot of action to see at the molasses based distilleries since the fermentation tanks are the only place you can see the CO2 bubbles rising from the wash. And in some places you can see the bottling lines clanking along putting rum into bottles and sealing them, which can be impressive for the speed at which it is done.

The aroma in the aging warehouses always draws me in. These large building are always much cooler than outside in the tropical sun and since there is a lot of wood inside the acoustics are amazing. There is a certain reference felt when standing among a thousand or more rum barrels inside which the contents are silently sleeping to maturity.
Ministry of Rum

Old 12-29-2007, 01:53 AM   #9
RumBarPhilly

Ya know, I took the tour of the factory before my love affair with rum began, so I didn't know much about what I was seeing. I remember the barrels in the warehouse, and then I remember them taking us into this little shed where they played a tape on a little TV with Malibu commercials. Nothing was mentioned here of Cockspur, when I saw it in the gift shop, I was confused, but thought the name was funny. So I bought a bottle of the Fine rum, took it home, and hated it. I got to try it again at Rum Fest and loved it! It's currently on a truck en route to PA, I should have it in my bar by next week, I'm excited!
Philadelphia, PA
Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
Ya know, I took the tour of the factory before my love affair with rum began, so I didn't know much about what I was seeing. I remember the barrels in the warehouse, and then I remember them taking us into this little shed where they played a tape on a little TV with Malibu commercials. Nothing was mentioned here of Cockspur, when I saw it in the gift shop, I was confused, but thought the name was funny. So I bought a bottle of the Fine rum, took it home, and hated it. I got to try it again at Rum Fest and loved it! It's currently on a truck en route to PA, I should have it in my bar by next week, I'm excited!
This story also highlights why I try to keep a small supply of what I'm liking at the moment.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News