MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2004, Tuthilltown Distillers was established in Gardiner, New York.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
pcguy

Default newcomer from central florida

Hi,

I have been a rum drinker for a long time, but only in the past few years have I begun to truly appreciate a fine sipping rum.

For years I drank my rum mixed, or frozen. Things like the old standard Cuba Libre, or Pina colada, or my favorite mixed drink the Mojito. My old standby in these days was captain Morgan's. I tried but never liked others like Bacardi. One day I noticed a bottle of Captain Morgan's private stock and noticed it provided a much better flavor. This soon became my new favorite. This went on for 3 or 4 years and I decided to try some others. After doing some looking around on the net, I tried Appleton Estate which came highly recommended. Also I tried Bacardi Anejo and while better, it still tasted "off" to me. This lead me to discover a very good local liquor store in my area. This place was a revelation to me, I never imagined there was such a thing as a liquor store the size of a supermarket. The selection was mind boggling!!

Then one day I made the discovery that changed my entire outlook on rum, browsing the web for something unrelated I stumbled upon a recommendation for Ron Zacapa Centenario 23. I managed to locate the only bottle my best liquor store had been hiding on the back of a shelf behind several bottles of lesser stock. Once I opened this bottle and experienced the flavor,I was hooked. Ron Zacapa Centenario is as many of you know, a heavenly rum.

Here is my problem, did I commit the worst sin by sampling probably the best rum ever first? I have procured some Zaya grand reserve, been through several bottles of Centenario Fundacion XX and Centenario Commemorativo when I can't get the Ron Zacapa. What other excellent rums in a similar vein am I missing out on?

I saw a few I might try but it's hard to tell by looks alone
Santa Teresa is available, as is a bottle of Gosling's Old, but I am somehow doubtful of the Gosling's....

ps. Don't get me started on my attempts to "acquire a taste" for scotch and bourbon. While I can stomach both from time to time, I just don't seem capable of "getting it" so far LOL... My last attempts at these 2 categories of spirits are woodford reserve and balvenie doublewood 12 yr. single malt.
pcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forums. Zacapa Centenario is a great rum. From your comments I get the impression you really like the smooth, sweetness you found in Zacapa. And from your post, it sounds like your palate is maturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy View Post
Here is my problem, did I commit the worst sin by sampling probably the best rum ever first? I have procured some Zaya grand reserve, been through several bottles of Centenario Fundacion XX and Centenario Commemorativo when I can't get the Ron Zacapa. What other excellent rums in a similar vein am I missing out on?
There are no sins committed here at the Ministry. No confessions, no judgments and no penance required. The only requirement is that you have an open mind and share your experience.

It's unfortunate that some of the rums you mention have changed considerably in the last few years. Bacardi Anejo was one of my favorites thirty years ago, before Bacardi began bringing in that rum from Mexico. Today that rum is quite different compared to what used to come out of Puerto Rico.

From your comments, my guess is that you'll find Gosling's Old Rum to be too dry for your taste, but I encourage you to try it when you have a chance to taste it without buying a bottle.

Like so many other things in life, the journey should be as rewarding as the destination.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Tiare

Welcome to this forum! keep on tasting..i buy mini bottles sometimes when i want to try something without buying a big bottle.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy View Post
I have procured some Zaya grand reserve, been through several bottles of Centenario Fundacion XX and Centenario Commemorativo when I can't get the Ron Zacapa. What other excellent rums in a similar vein am I missing out on?
Try Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva from Venezuela. It gets rave reviews from those discovering new premium rums. Try Matusalem Gran Reserva or Cubaney Gran Reserva 12 from Dominican Republic. The Appleton Estate Rums are rich and flavorful, including the Extra and the Reserve, if not the 21 year-old.

I made a list of some of my favorites on my rum guide web site.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Dood

Welcome to the Ministry.

As others have said, no need to worry about "jumping to the top" as it were. The other premium rums out there are so different from RZ and yet still so good that you'll never find a shortage of rums to spend an evening with.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
pcguy

I am setting out on a shopping excursion, my goal is to seek out 10 bottles of top drawer rums, will let you know how I make out : )

santa teresa, agnostera, goslings old, flor de cana and barbancourt are on this short list to try

Last edited by pcguy; 02-02-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
pcguy

Here is the results of today's shopping trip. Some of these I found by browsing this site

Santa Teresa 1796
10 Cane Rum
Foursquare Rum
Ron Anejo Anniversario Pampero
El Dorado 15 yr
Flor De Cana Centenario 15 yr
Rhum Barbancourt 15 yr
and Finally,
Gosling's Old Rum (in a wooden display box)

This should keep me busy for quite some months!

In addition to those listed above, I also currently have on hand the following

Ron Zacapa Centenario
Ron Centenario Fundacion XX
Ron Centenario Commemorativo
Zaya Grand Reserve

This all should about hit the major bases for a newbie to quality rums?

Last edited by pcguy; 02-02-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

As you taste through those rums you will probably notice that older isn't always better, though older always costs more. An example I use in tastings is Barbancourt 4, 8 and 15 year old rums. Each of these rums is unique, and most, but not all, of those who drink these rums prefer the 8 year old over the 15.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Hank Koestner

Well, look here! Another Central Floridian! May I ask, what territory do you hail from? Welcome to the forum!!

Your choice of rums is excellent, and you should enjoy tasting and comparing them!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
pcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
Well, look here! Another Central Floridian! May I ask, what territory do you hail from? Welcome to the forum!!

Your choice of rums is excellent, and you should enjoy tasting and comparing them!
I am on the east side of town near UCF/Valencia East.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions