MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

17 years ago in 2000, the Roig sugar factory in Yabucoa and the Coloso factory in Aguada, not far from where the first sugar cane had been brought to the island 385 years before, closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
GoodOlBoy

Cool Hello from Deep East Texas!

Hello from Deep East Texas! I'm a rum lover, but don't have alot of experience with small batch or high end rums. For some reason years ago I fell in love with rum when I've never really had a taste for most liquors. I'll admit a weakness for Coke and Rum, or Dr Pepper and Coconut Rum. I don't drink alot anymore, but when I do I drink to enjoy flavor, not for getting tipsy (not judging, this is just me). I live in a "dry" county (we voted in beer and wine a few years ago but no liquor stores in county). You can have it, your just can't buy it in county, and no bars around. I'll list a few of my likes and dislikes so that we can get to know each other better. I will say my likes have changed over the years as my tastes matured and changed.

Rums I like very much!
Tortuga Coconut Rum - Probably my favorite coconut rum, unfortunately I no longer have any source that seems to be able to acquire it in East Texas from Huntstville to Nacogdoches. Honestly probably my favorite all around Rum.
Kraken Rum - I like it.
Captain Morgan Black - again a dark rum I like.

Rums that I find Ok/mixers...
Captain Morgan Original Spice - Ok in Coke, good for cooking shrimp.
Captain Morgan Cannon Blast - not bad, not great
Captain Morgan Limited Edition Sherry Oak Cask - interesting flavor, not a bad mixer.
Captain Morgan Coconut Rums - Once upon a time it was just Parrot Bay. Nowdays I think "The Captain" has half a dozen variations on the theme. Parrot Bay seems to me to have gone down a bit in quality (I will not buy liquor in plastic bottles). Captain Morgan Coconut Brown Label reminds me of "old" Parrot Bay.
Captain Morgan Private Stock - again not bad. Not my favorite.
Bacardi Rock Coconut - barely makes the ok list for me. Sometimes it is ok, sometimes it seems to have a "wiff" of rubbing alcohol. But once you have a bottle as a "gift" you can't just throw it out. I figure that bottle will be my lifetime supply of this Bacardi offering.

Rums that I just... I just can't...
Malibu Coconut Rum - No... just no...
Myer's Original Jamaican Dark - I just can't make myself like it. Some friends of mine who are rum drinkers do like it, but I just can't. Don't know why.
Bacardi "most flavors" - Dunno why but no. Don't care for them. Can't say I have tried them all, heck I probably haven't tried most of them, but I'm just not a Bacardi fan.
Captain Morgan Silver - Nope. Don't like it. Wife likes it in Mountain Dew. I can't do it.

Anyway there are a few others I've tasted over the years but since I don't remember the names, and it's been so long I can't positively say one way or the other.

Other details? I'm a cancer survivor (2 years), and am disabled (PTSD, Hyper-vigilance, etc). No I didn't serve in the military, but thank you and God Bless those that did and do.

Oh and Thanks for a place to discuss Rums!

God Bless, and One Love!

Richard
GoodOlBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions