MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

89 years ago in 1930, the Barceló rum company was established in the Dominican Republic.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 04-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
EssentialSpirits

Default Best rum in Venezuela. period

So im fresh ( and i use the term loosely) back from WSWA in Las Vegas... wow.. what an experience. Not really what i expected, but i think we did really well there.. I believe we picked up another 4-5 states distribution... or at least i hope we did... but the subject of this post is an AMAZING aged rum i had the pleasure of tasting.

Fariñez, Pachano N°23 was by far the BEST rum i have ever tasted... and I produce a double gold winning rum.

Aged 23 years in medium toast American oak, bourbon barrels, they lose 60% of the share before its done aging... at the taste of the industry event where i was able to try it... i literally was walking around with my nose in the glass... absolutely zero hint of any alcohol notes, purely sugary sweet, almost like having a freshly browned creme brulé right in front of your nose.

I believe it is only being imported to Florida right now.. but if you have a chance... absolutely TRY THIS RUM... you will not regret it.

Last edited by EssentialSpirits; 04-10-2008 at 04:31 AM.
EssentialSpirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
RumBarPhilly

THis garnered my curiosity. I decidd to search for it, however the internet doesnt know of Ron Farinez.

What I did find was Ron Macuro, an ultra premium Venezuelan rum, whose ambassador (perhaps owner?) is Alberto Farinez. Unfortunately Macuro's website is entirely in Spanish, and I am lost. It does look like a nice rum!

Heres the link.

http://www.ronmacuro.com/
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
EssentialSpirits

I will look for it.. my bad for not providing a link.

I checked the link you provided, but that was not the rum i tried.

The man, 2nd from the left is the guy that was pouring, i believe the owner of the brand

this is the website of the brand http://www.farinez.com/

From the looks of it... they also ( and possibly primarily) do Chocolate and Cigars... i see no mention of rum on the page.. but that is the label, and the same website listed on the fliers i took with me from the booth.

Perhaps they re-branded the Ron Macuro into the Farinez bottle... which is basically a high shoulder clear bottle, with the same gold lettering of "farinez" as the website i listed.

I think this makes sense because from the pictures on the Macuro site, it seems to match the story that Alberto was telling me, that they raise all the sugar cane on their own plantation, that its aged 23 years, etc.

But worth noting, is that the label on the rum that i tried, also had RASP ( Ron Anejo Super Premium)

Quote:
RON MACURO
El místico origen de Ron Macuro tiene inicio en la cuidadosa escogencia de la caña de azúcar, proveniente de los valles fértiles y húmedos situados en la región centro occidente del país.

En la selección de las cañas, los alcoholes, el tiempo de envejecimiento y la mezcla, radica la diferencia en el proceso de producción de Ron Macuro.

Su elaboración se inicia cuando las privilegiadas cañas de azúcar son cortadas y procesadas, para ceder de su guarapo, la viscosa y oscura melaza.

El proceso continúa con la fermentación de la melaza, con la que se obtiene un mosto espirituoso en el que yacen latentes la base de los exóticos aromas e inigualables sabores del ron.

La destilación del mosto fermentado genera alcoholes finos y ligeros que luego son cuidadosamente escogidos para dar inicio al proceso de añejamiento, en el que los selectos alcoholes son vertidos en barricas de puro roble. Y es ahí donde comienza la magia de Ron Macuro.

Luego del toque de la paciente mano del tiempo, los rones añejos son seleccionados para elaborar la particular mezcla de varios de ellos y obtener el más distinguido de los rones. Una mezcla de añejos entre 14 y 24 años confiere a este especial producto un extraordinario cuerpo y excepcional aroma y sabor.

La elaboración de Ron Macuro está a cargo de empresas con amplia experiencia y tradición en el ramo, que cuidan cada detalle para lograr una producción en condiciones óptimas que garantice un ron de cánones de insuperable calidad.
Quote:
The mystical origin of Rum Macuro has beginning in the careful selection of the sugar cane, originating of fertile and humid valleys in the central region the West of the country.
With the selection of cane, the alcohol, age time, and the mixture, are the difference in the process of production of Rum Macuro.
Its elaboration begins when the privileged sugar canes are cut and processed, to yield of its "guarapo" or Garapa ( cane juice), the viscose and dark molasses. The process continues with the fermentation of the molasses, with which a must is obtained in which the base of the exotic aromas and incomparable flavors of the rum reside. The distillation of fermented must generates fine and light alcohol that soon carefully is chosen to give beginning to the maturing process, in that the select alcohol are spilled in barrels of pure oak. It is there where the magic of Rum Macuro begins. Soon of the touch of the patient hand of the time, aged rums are selected to elaborate the particular mixture of several of them and to obtain the most distinguished of the rums. A mixture of ages, between 14 and 24 years combine in this special product of extraordinary body and exceptional aroma and flavor. The elaboration of Rum Macuro is in charge of companies with ample experience and tradition in the branch, that take care of each detail to obtain a production in optimal conditions that a rum of cánones of insurmountable quality guarantees.
yup im pretty sure this is the stuff.

Last edited by EssentialSpirits; 04-10-2008 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
RumBarPhilly

Thanks for the translation, Dave!

Perhaps the Macuro has been renamed and bottled Farinez, but their website hasnt been updated yet? I have heard of Macuro, though never seen it. Ill be sure to keep an eye out for either of these brands.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
EssentialSpirits

Hah, i just logged in, and what do i see on the right hand bar there, listing the 2007 Tasting competition winners... the Macuro Rum..

quel coincidence
Old 04-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #6
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Ron Macuro Rum

The judges in the 2006 Ybor City competition were impressed with Ron Macuro "ultra-premium rum" but we never saw it come to market. That web site contains pictures of me, and other judges at that competition, enjoying some of their fine cigars and chocolates.

I suspect my bottles of Ron Macuro rum are now collector's items.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Michael

Is there any indication what is the source of the rum in Ron Macuro/Farinez? Someone must have been aging that rum for 14 to 24 years, and of course selling younger rum to stay in business during that time. Is it likely to be Venezuelan in origin?

How does it compare to the wonderful Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and Ron Pampero Anniversario? To justify a price point far higher than the formidable Venezuelan competition ($95 in BTI Macuro listing), it would have to be quite wonderful indeed. Does the Farinez version seem likely to reach market? We require samples for in depth research.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Looks like another venezuelan rum to keep an eye on. Gotta love those venezuelan rums.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
EssentialSpirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Is there any indication what is the source of the rum in Ron Macuro/Farinez? Someone must have been aging that rum for 14 to 24 years, and of course selling younger rum to stay in business during that time. Is it likely to be Venezuelan in origin?

How does it compare to the wonderful Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and Ron Pampero Anniversario? To justify a price point far higher than the formidable Venezuelan competition ($95 in BTI Macuro listing), it would have to be quite wonderful indeed. Does the Farinez version seem likely to reach market? We require samples for in depth research.
As it was described to me.. the rum i tried had been aged 23 years... impressive
Old 04-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Alberto Fariсez

Default Pachano Nє 23 and Macuro

Hi there all of you !! specially Mr. Classick that I’ve recently met at WSWA, and Mr. Robert Burr that I met at Ybor City’s Tasting 2006. I really appreciate Dave’s comments about Pachano Nº 23.

Yes, I am the guy in the picture. I do run the company that makes Pachano Nº 23 of Fariñez and Ron Macuro, they are totally different but both from Venezuela. Their profiles are completely singular, Pachano Nº 23 in the Super Premium and Ron Macuro in the Ultra Premium category. In fact, I define the profile of our products and our Master Blender along with the tasting panel achieves the profiled rum.

Pachano Nº 23 will be available in the US east cost from Q3 2008; around $42 per bottle. Ron Macuro still has no date of introduction. So, that Macuro’s bottle indeed is a collector’s item. Our newest rum, Pachano, has not been presented anywhere else but WSWA Las Vegas 2008 not even in Venezuela. This is the reason why there is nothing out there in the Internet.

It would not be fair for me to compare Pachano Nº 23 to Diplomatico Reserva Especial nor Pampero Aniversario. What I would like to point out is that all Venezuelan rums are great; there are only different categories:

Aguardiente (not aged)
Rum Liquor (aged less than 2 years)
Añejo : Standard (aged from 2 to 4 years)
Extra Añejo : Premium (aged from 4 to 6 years)
Añejo Super Premium
Añejo Ultra Premium

Under the brand name Fariñez, I personally also produce 100% Venezuelan chocolates and fine cigars.

Pachano Nº 23
Ron Añejo Súper Premium (RASP)

Pachano Nº 23 of Fariñez of extraordinary body, elegant flavor and fine aroma, meticulous blend of pure natural spring water and the most delicate reserves of 23 years of aging, granting wonderful body of thick tears and slow fall.

Let your senses be transported to the exotic land of Venezuela and experience the amazing flavor of the tropical rain forest of Carúpano, perceive its oak notes, with sweet and fruity memoirs, also vanilla, leather, tobacco, butterscotch and roasted hints, attaining the most refined and genuine Venezuelan rum: Pachano Nº 23 of Fariñez.

Native of Venezuela

The production of Pachano Nº 23 of Fariñez is inspired in a Venezuelan historical moment: the minting of the first gold coin.

During the third period of government of General Antonio Guzmán Blanco the Royal House of Mint was established. The new mint’s machinery went into operation on October 16, 1886. General Jacinto R. Pachano, inspector of the National Government, gives the president the first gold Bs.100 coin produced and he said: “How marvelous, Pachano!”. This expression led to the popular name of this gold coin "Pachano" by which this coin was commonly known.

The Fariñez brand represents: Passion, Exclusivity, Luxury, Style and Quality. Every product unifies the workmanship, dedication, understanding, knowledge and respect of traditions, together with the innovation and sense of functional elegance. Crafted with passion and caring of details. Fariñez excels due to its authentic concept.
Alberto Fariсez is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums