MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

116 years ago in 1903, Juan Serrallés installed the first continuous still on the island of Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
Jim Burgess

Thumbs up Whats the best Anejo ?

What is the Best tasting Anejo? Best Color? Best Aroma?
Jim Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Anjanettea

Send a message via AIM to Anjanettea Send a message via Yahoo to Anjanettea

I'm not a Bacerlo fan, but the Barcelo Anejo was pretty nice.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Patapouf

Hmm... You'll have to be more specific on what you mean. Anejo, I believe, translates to 'old' in english. What I'm guessig you probably mean though is what lightly aged spanish style rum is our favorite... yes?

Haven't had many, but here's my list of favorites:
1) Brugal Extra Viejo
2) Havana Club 7
3) Havana Club Anejo Reserva
4) Brugal Anejo
Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf View Post
Hmm... You'll have to be more specific on what you mean. Anejo, I believe, translates to 'old' in english. What I'm guessig you probably mean though is what lightly aged spanish style rum is our favorite... yes?
More specifically it means "aged". However, that's pretty much every rum out there!
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Ben

Maybe it's a matter of perception, but I consider "anejo" rums aged between 3 and 5 years. If aged more than 5 years I consider them extra old. So that way HC7 and Brugal Extra Viejo are not anejo for me.

Usually anejo rums can be sipped, well at least the best of them, but I used them more as mixers.

For that age range, the best one I got was English Harbour 5 years old. ED 5 is not to forget as well.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Patapouf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Maybe it's a matter of perception, but I consider "anejo" rums aged between 3 and 5 years. If aged more than 5 years I consider them extra old. So that way HC7 and Brugal Extra Viejo are not anejo for me.

Usually anejo rums can be sipped, well at least the best of them, but I used them more as mixers.

For that age range, the best one I got was English Harbour 5 years old. ED 5 is not to forget as well.
For me el dorado and English harbor would not fall in the 'anejo' category. They need to be of Spanish style. As mentionned above, it depends on perception.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf View Post
For me el dorado and English harbor would not fall in the 'anejo' category. They need to be of Spanish style. As mentionned above, it depends on perception.
I see your point, because you wouldn't see the term anejo used on non-spanish bottles, hence the Spanish style. It's just that I find the classification anejo / extra viejo for the number of years aged very convenient and use it across all styles.

Actually my more detailed classification includes ten categories:

sipper
mixer
premium
agricole
navy
spiced
liqueur
overproof
white
dark

Obviously it is a subjective classification, but that's what I used when compiling best of lists. I guess we're in dire need of an "official" classification.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Patapouf

Quote:
I guess we're in dire need of an "official" classification.
Lol! I agree, but at the same time it gives us rum 'nerds' something to talk about.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I've yet to see any classifications that satisfy everyone from the distiller to the consumer. Add the complexity of rums of blended ages and the matrix becomes even more complex.

Since rum is the most diverse of all the distilled spirits I've given up trying to make every sugar cane spirit fit into one or even two classes.

Quote:
sipper
mixer
premium
agricole
navy
spiced
liqueur
overproof
white
dark
A premium rum would probably be a sipper and could also be an agricole, and almost every sugar cane spirit would be either a sipper or a mixer.

For the competitions I have conducted since 2006, I use categories of molasses-based - white, gold, aged and premium, cachaзa - aged and unaged, agricole, blanc, aged and vieux, overproof, spiced/flavored/liqueurs.

Certainly not everyone will agree that this covers every sugar cane spirit equally but everything is a compromise.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:35 AM   #10
Karupano1762

Quote:
I see your point, because you wouldn't see the term anejo used on non-spanish bottles, hence the Spanish style. It's just that I find the classification anejo / extra viejo for the number of years aged very convenient and use it across all styles.

Actually my more detailed classification includes ten categories:

sipper
mixer
premium
agricole
navy
spiced
liqueur
overproof
white
dark

Obviously it is a subjective classification, but that's what I used when compiling best of lists. I guess we're in dire need of an "official" classification.

Estoy medianamente de acuerdo con tu clasificación, aunque como soy newbie, y mi dominio del idioma ingles es aun muy precario (uso un traductor), voy poco a poco, leyendo post. Pero queria proponer y preguntar varias cosas. Lo hare aqui mismo para ahorrar tiempo:

1. Coincido con Edward que "Premium" y "Sipping" vienen siendo lo mismo (subcategorias como "Ultra-Premium", por ejemplo, tienen que ver más con el precio y el lujo de la botella, que con otros aspectos).
2. Entiendo como "Añejo" y "Extra-Añejo", una subclasificación dentro de los Dark Rum ¿o me equivoco?.
3. En tu clasificación, "White" ¿son los Light Rum?.
4. ¿Todos los Navy Rum: son overproof y blended? o ¿solo overproof?.

Una ultima cuestión:

Como mi colección actual se limita a solo rones venezolanos (y ademas, los que tengo solo son Dark Rum - "Añejos" y "Extra-Añejos"), me gustaría encontrar threads en el foro donde podamos leer listas de los Mejores Rones (o bien,recomendaciones), por cada uno delos tipos que tu clasificación propone: "Best Navy Rums", "Best Dark Rums"...

Gracias

In english:

I am fairly in agreement with your classification, although as I am newbie, and my command of the English language is still very precarious (I use a translator), I go little by little, reading post. But I wanted to propose and ask several things. I will do it here to save time:

1. I agree with Edward that "Premium" and "Sipping" have been the same (subcategories such as "Ultra-Premium", for example, have to do more with the price and luxury of the bottle, than with other aspects).
2. I understand as "Añejo" and "Extra-Añejo", a sub-classification within the Dark Rum, or am I wrong?
3. In your classification, "White" are the Light Rum ?.
4. All Navy Rum: are they overproof and blended? Or just overproof ?.

One last question:

As my current collection is limited to only Venezuelan rums (and also, those that I have only are Dark Rum - "Añejos" and "Extra-Añejos"), I would like to find threads in the forum where we can read lists of the Best Rums (or well, recommendations), for each of the types that your classification proposes: "Best Navy Rums", "Best Dark Rums" ...

Thank you
Karupano1762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums

Tags
anejo rum , barcelo , columbus rum , dominican habitat , dominican rum