MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

177 years ago in 1842, La Favorite was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
junga

Default Rhum Agricole in Ohio

Does anyone know why there is not one brand of rhum agricole available in Ohio? Would it be something "regulation based"? Or would it be simply a marketing issue?---I have a hard time believing that I'm the only buckeye with a taste for a 'ti punch.
Also, while I have success in buying them online(Niesson, La Favorite, Clement, etc...) any tips on getting smaller brands, other than flying to St. Martin and loading up at the Le Grand Marche?
junga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
RonJames

Agricoles are in short supply in a lot of areas, mine included although not as bad as the central states. Many of the smaller brands might not even export to the states. For what its worth even if you did find it local the internet would probably still be cheaper.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

If you're in a control state like Ohio, you're better off driving to Indiana or Illinois to buy rhum agricole. The regulations and distribution system makes it all but impossible to distribute in a state where the number 1 selling rum is Captain Morgan.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #4

I think this is enough .....
I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way
Old 11-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Sylbaris

Default Rhum Agricole: "Nectar of the Gods"

I tasted my first Rhum Agricole long before I knew or had an appreciation for what I was drinking. It was the late 70's and I just liked its taste and drank more, that was St. James Rhum, once the premier rhum of Martinique and probably still the best know import stateside. Turns out that famous appellation originally distilled in St. Pierre before Mt.Pele in 1902, turned it into a virtual modern day Pompeii, it was just one of many fine rhums like my all time favorite Rhum Bally. I was experiencing just the tip of the agricole iceberg or volcano, because they both have the potential to change one's perspective of the world. My world changed in 1983, when I sat in the 1902 Bar in St. Pierre at the foot of Mt.Pele and had my first Neisson Ti-Punch. Late afternoon, melted into early evening as this high powered fuel froze time and glued me like a happy prisoner to my bar stool. My partner and I closed the bar that evening only to return there trip after trip like pilgrims to the shrine of all things agricole. It was here that I first met Mr. Monci, the Madame bartender's right hand man and keeper of the machete for those who got unruly. At age 80, he was fearless and fluid, totally at one with his world and the beauties within it. He spoke no English and I spoke little French, so he taught me Patois: "Toute beguy carmarche!" An all purpose greeting. On the occasion of our next to last meeting he presented me with a bottle of Tafia. I had no idea of the luxurious potency of this molasses like spirit. He poured some in my hand an instructed me to lick it. I have never before or since tasted anything so earthy, sweet or complex as this amazing sirop. Like Inca leaves it gave you an energy and euphoria that was quite un-rumlike even though I was told this wonderful nectar came from the bottom or dregs of the rum cask. I savored this bottle little by little until I saw Mr. Monci for the last time almost 10 years later. It's now 15 years after that, and Mr. Monci, the tafia and the 1902 Bar are just a happy memories but I know that when I have the pleasure to return once again to this beautiful island where the agricole rhum lives all will be right in my world.
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #6
Craig_Hochscheid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbaris View Post
I tasted my first Rhum Agricole long before I knew or had an appreciation for what I was drinking. It was the late 70's and I just liked its taste and drank more, that was St. James Rhum, once the premier rhum of Martinique and probably still the best know import stateside. Turns out that famous appellation originally distilled in St. Pierre before Mt.Pele in 1902, turned it into a virtual modern day Pompeii, it was just one of many fine rhums like my all time favorite Rhum Bally. I was experiencing just the tip of the agricole iceberg or volcano, because they both have the potential to change one's perspective of the world. My world changed in 1983, when I sat in the 1902 Bar in St. Pierre at the foot of Mt.Pele and had my first Neisson Ti-Punch. Late afternoon, melted into early evening as this high powered fuel froze time and glued me like a happy prisoner to my bar stool. My partner and I closed the bar that evening only to return there trip after trip like pilgrims to the shrine of all things agricole. It was here that I first met Mr. Monci, the Madame bartender's right hand man and keeper of the machete for those who got unruly. At age 80, he was fearless and fluid, totally at one with his world and the beauties within it. He spoke no English and I spoke little French, so he taught me Patois: "Toute beguy carmarche!" An all purpose greeting. On the occasion of our next to last meeting he presented me with a bottle of Tafia. I had no idea of the luxurious potency of this molasses like spirit. He poured some in my hand an instructed me to lick it. I have never before or since tasted anything so earthy, sweet or complex as this amazing sirop. Like Inca leaves it gave you an energy and euphoria that was quite un-rumlike even though I was told this wonderful nectar came from the bottom or dregs of the rum cask. I savored this bottle little by little until I saw Mr. Monci for the last time almost 10 years later. It's now 15 years after that, and Mr. Monci, the tafia and the 1902 Bar are just a happy memories but I know that when I have the pleasure to return once again to this beautiful island where the agricole rhum lives all will be right in my world.
Well that's great and all, but what on earth does it have to do with locating Rhum Agricole in Ohio (which you won't find BTW)?
Craig_Hochscheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Sylbaris

Craig:

It has absolutely nothing to do with finding Agricole Rhum in Ohio, a place I have only passed through a few times on my way to Moline. Just felt like reminiscing because that's what the thought of agricole rhum does to me. Just kind of makes me nostalgic for old friends and good times is all. Hope I did not waste your time. Good luck on your search and happy holidays!
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Michael

The reminiscence may not assist our Ohio brethren with their Agricole search Sylbaris, but it made a fine read. As we can all attest, the MOR threads tend to meander. As in life, sometimes the diversions are the best part.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole

Tags
ohio , rhum agricole