MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

11 years ago in 2008, Drum Circle Distilling Co. was established in Sarasota, Florida.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
pcguy

Default newcomer from central florida

Hi,

I have been a rum drinker for a long time, but only in the past few years have I begun to truly appreciate a fine sipping rum.

For years I drank my rum mixed, or frozen. Things like the old standard Cuba Libre, or Pina colada, or my favorite mixed drink the Mojito. My old standby in these days was captain Morgan's. I tried but never liked others like Bacardi. One day I noticed a bottle of Captain Morgan's private stock and noticed it provided a much better flavor. This soon became my new favorite. This went on for 3 or 4 years and I decided to try some others. After doing some looking around on the net, I tried Appleton Estate which came highly recommended. Also I tried Bacardi Anejo and while better, it still tasted "off" to me. This lead me to discover a very good local liquor store in my area. This place was a revelation to me, I never imagined there was such a thing as a liquor store the size of a supermarket. The selection was mind boggling!!

Then one day I made the discovery that changed my entire outlook on rum, browsing the web for something unrelated I stumbled upon a recommendation for Ron Zacapa Centenario 23. I managed to locate the only bottle my best liquor store had been hiding on the back of a shelf behind several bottles of lesser stock. Once I opened this bottle and experienced the flavor,I was hooked. Ron Zacapa Centenario is as many of you know, a heavenly rum.

Here is my problem, did I commit the worst sin by sampling probably the best rum ever first? I have procured some Zaya grand reserve, been through several bottles of Centenario Fundacion XX and Centenario Commemorativo when I can't get the Ron Zacapa. What other excellent rums in a similar vein am I missing out on?

I saw a few I might try but it's hard to tell by looks alone
Santa Teresa is available, as is a bottle of Gosling's Old, but I am somehow doubtful of the Gosling's....

ps. Don't get me started on my attempts to "acquire a taste" for scotch and bourbon. While I can stomach both from time to time, I just don't seem capable of "getting it" so far LOL... My last attempts at these 2 categories of spirits are woodford reserve and balvenie doublewood 12 yr. single malt.
pcguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions