MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

108 years ago in 1911, the Puerto Rican Distilling Co. began distilling operations in Arecibo.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Saxman

Default Appleton 250th Anniversary

Well there something to be said about obtaining hard finds, and this is proving to be about as hard as locating a bottle of Mount Gay Tri. I would love to add this bottle to my collection, would look great next to the Appleton 30 I aquired not so long ago. Any one seen this for sale on line lately, or know were one of the 6000 bottles might be hiding.....:-) It's bad enough that in Canada where liquor shipping laws are tight it going to be a challenge but what the heck, it cant all be easy right.....

Cheers
Saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Ellis34

I have been looking for two years. I have the 30, 21, Master's Blend, the 12 year crock, the 151, and all the usual bottles. I even have a tiffany crystal pitcher. However, I do not have the 250th from Appleton. I saw one from Germany, but they would not send it over to the states. I also am looking for the 20 year crock. After that, do any of the experts know of others I should be on the lookout for from Appleton?

As for the 250th bottle, its not trade my (insert body part here) for it, but it's close . I figure it will cost a pretty penny when I see it, but I have the rest. It's like a puzzle with a couple of pieces missing.
Ellis34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Saxman

Glad to hear you got your hands on the 30YO, one of the lucky few ;-) Do you have any pics of the Appleton crocks? Was there a 12 and 20 year offerings. I could have sworn sometime ago a saw a Appleton bottle that was perhaps a single barrel offering, not sure if you have heard/seen this. All the best on both of our quests!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
RonJames

I haven't heard of the crocks, or seen the appleton 250. I did see an image on flickr of someone making a blue hawaiian with the 250. Ellis and Sax if you guys are looking to put the pieces together there is still the bottle you can only get by going to appleton. They released it this year and has a lot to do with the terroir if memory is correct.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
Ellis34

I will try to get a picture of all my appleton collection on the web soon. I am not a computer savvy guy. I am taking the wife to Jamaica for the 20th anniversary. She wants to go with me to the distillery. I will look for the unique distillery offered rum there. I have a 12 year crock, and I have seen a picture of the 20 year crock. I WILL have it when it comes around again!
Ellis34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Gecko

RonJames,

You can see an Appleton 250th Anniversary in my photo albums. I have two of the 6000 bottles that were produced along with 1 30 year old 4 21 year old, 1 Signature Blend, 4 Master Blend, 3 Extra, 10 Reserve and 6 V/X.

I have a mule heading to Jamacia this coming week. I hope to add the 25 yr old from the estate to my little collection.

RJ I think you have the 12 that I don't have (unless Extra is the 12 yur old)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
RonJames,

You can see an Appleton 250th Anniversary in my photo albums. I have two of the 6000 bottles that were produced along with 1 30 year old 4 21 year old, 1 Signature Blend, 4 Master Blend, 3 Extra, 10 Reserve and 6 V/X.

I have a mule heading to Jamacia this coming week. I hope to add the 25 yr old from the estate to my little collection.

What a great collection you have, really enjoyed the pics. Can you tell me about the Appleton Signature Blend, I was unaware of that offering. And by the 25yr old are you refering to the Exclusive edition offered on the Appleton tour? Thanks!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
RonJames

shoot, I had forgotten your pics Gecko, sorry about that. The extra with the black top tasted the same to me as the 12yr that I have, I believe that they are the same blend. Right now Im freezing my buns off and that pic with the rum by the pool makes me think of warmer days to come.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Gecko

Saxman,

Thank you for the kind comments. As for the Signature Blend, here a posting that I had done some time back (April 2009).

Quote:
Hey Rum Ball,

I thought that I would act on your advice and get the ball (oops I mean Rum Ball) started in this vain. I hope others will add to this thread and share what they are tasting.

Today I hosted a grill out and pool party for my sons 11th B-day and as expected a few of the dads came along to hang with me in what is known as "The Big Dog House" my pool house bar. Besides for it being a special day for the kids, it turned out to be a really special day for me, as one of the dads brought along a bottle of Appleton Estate Signature Blend for me to try. I hope Joy Spence is reading this thread because Wow...WoW...WOW... this was somethong really special. First and foremast the bottle was #35 of only "get this" 150 bottles which was signed off March 29, 2009.

The bottle indicated that the product contained rums from 1972... did I say Wow already???? well just in case WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I raised my snifer into what was an overcast sky to watch the beautiful amber rum brighten up the sky with a ray of golden green on the outskirts. This rum could have been in a Leggs commercial because it had great legs, that slowly ran down the snifer as I allowed it to gently circle the glass. This was such an wonderful experience that I must have continued for about 15 minutes before seeking to present it to my nostrils.

Butterscotch, oak and spice flowed upwards from the rum and I now it was time to introduce it to the internal parts of the body.

The Appleton Signature blend was buttery smooth with a elements of spice and orange peel on the first sip with a very long finish. The second sip was even better as I was able to explore the presence of liquorice, spice, oak and orange peel that was not sweet to the palate, but ever so warming to the throat with NO burn what so ever.

I was so impressed that I rushed into the house to bring out the Appleton 21 to compare notes. The Appleton 21 is a darker rums with a different composition (see my post under Zacapa for more details)

In short, Joy is there more that 150 bottles??? What is the retail cost of such a miracle? Rum drinkers want to know.

I had a great tasting today and I hope you get to try this rum. Joy if you are reading this post, how correct am I?
The 25 year old is the one that you have to do the tour in order to purchase. This would complete my collection for Appleton.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
Stamina1914

Quote:
RonJames,

wow!!!!! i AM SO JEALOUS. HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK YOUR COLLECTION IS WORTH?

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions