MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

111 years ago in 1908, Varela Hermanos SA was established in Panama.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas

From real fruit to the worst synthetic flavors what do you like and how do you drink it?

Old 10-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
TheRumelier

Default Cruzan has new look

Cruzan rums have officially been taken over by Beam Brands as of October 1. V & S had already started a re-design for their complete rum range before the takeover. The bottles look pretty good, hopefully the rum will remain at the high standards we are used to. No picture of the single barrel though for some reason. I hope they continue to produce this great rum.
I have a couple of photos of the new labels here:-
http://www.therumelier.com/id62.html

I wonder if the new bottles hold the same rum or are new blends, I think I saw discussions on this topic before.
http://www.therumelier.com

Last edited by TheRumelier; 10-07-2008 at 02:44 PM.
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
rumdog007

I'm with you hoping that they keep the fine quality of these rums. The replacement of the 2 Year with the 14 Month was a slight volley fired across my bow. The absence of the ED5 was a much bigger shock. Luckily, I had time to stock up for life. Let's hope that this new era is marked by some stability. Yes, I know, we are are talking about the spirits business! But, one can hope. Beam Global/Fortune Brands is a diverse group which has kept their flagship Beam product tasting great for many years.

Last edited by rumdog007; 10-08-2008 at 12:24 AM.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Rum Runner

I agree with you both...I hope Cruzan has found a home for a long while.

After the revolving door of ownership recently I imagine that Gary may have created an introductory "form" letter to the tune of,

"Dear (insert owner name here); We are looking forward to a long and prosperous....."
Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I have no idea why this thread is misformed in the template. I'll try to sort it out or move it soon.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
TheRumelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
After the revolving door of ownership recently I imagine that Gary may have created an introductory "form" letter to the tune of,

"Dear (insert owner name here); We are looking forward to a long and prosperous....."
I was thinking along the same lines. It must be a Guiness book of records record for ownership of a distillery. My US Virgin Island rum shelf has had to be put on the bottom shelf due to the volume of Cruzan rums. Now I will have to add all the new bottles. (and try them of course.!!)

P.S. I love the Cruzan Website though, great fun to watch if you have a few spare minutes.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
Carbon

What the hell? Have you noticed they changed the label on the Clipper rum recently? I only could tell because they have both types of bottles at the local liquor store.

The other weird thing is that after hearing how the Estate Diamond 5 year was discontinued from you guys (and it's absent from the site now), I still see bottles everywhere at the different stores. Thankfully, most of the people who buy Cruzan just go for whatever is the cheapest, so they aren't exactly flying off the shelves. The other weird thing is that the liquor stores know nothing about it and have said they continue to get shipments of it.

I recently bought a bottle of the Estate Diamond and enjoyed it, especially at the low price point of $16 or $17. Should I stock up while I can?
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
rumdog007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
The other weird thing is that the liquor stores know nothing about it and have said they continue to get shipments of it.

I recently bought a bottle of the Estate Diamond and enjoyed it, especially at the low price point of $16 or $17. Should I stock up while I can?
There is still a lot of it in stateside warehouses, now. They will continue to restock stores as long as it lasts. In some places, you might even see a close-out when the distribution system needs the shelf space, after they have realized it has been retired. The great thing about ED5 is that it was sippable, not a stellar sipper, but good. It really shines with some lime and tonic because it's has a ton of flavor. If you have friends that only allow for rum and coke, their eyes bug out when you use the ED5 instead of Bacardi Superior! The Single Barrel was double the price for so many years that the ED5, being so close in character and quality, was a bargain. Ed has rightfully pointed out that most consumer goods don't survive after a hiatus (at least, Cruzan once claimed it was merely a hiatus 2 buyouts ago!). I am finding the Single Barrel for $16.00 in Phoenix. BTW, the 750ml of Goslings Gold (completely different rum on all fronts, but a great product) is $10.00 at Trader Joes, now. That said, I stocked up, BIG TIME.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
rumdog007

Exclamation

One other thing, I seem to recall that The Minister of Rum got me doing a 50/50 blend with Barbancourt 5 Star and ED5 after I read one of his posts. Wow, what a great house rum. It threw me off completely when I first tasted it. The sum of its parts were nothing like the 2 components. , Ed!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
RumBarPhilly

In PA, 3 months after Cruzan Diamon was discontinued, they still had nearly 78 units. They are currently down to 28. Once it hits 12, Im buying the stock out. This might take some time, although it is on closeout.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
Hank Koestner

Yes, my friends, stock up! This is a great one, and sad to see it go. I grabbed 6 bottles, and it has all but disappeared from the shelves in the greater Orlando area.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas