MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

27 years ago in 1992, Lark Distillery was established on Tasmania.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas

From real fruit to the worst synthetic flavors what do you like and how do you drink it?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Thanks Adam. This whole project has been fantastic fun. First reinventing the classic cocktails by hand then dealing with bulk rum importers to blend our own rum and with distillers to get just the right gin and vodka. We also spent weeks trialling different fruits, then pieced them all together until we were finally fully satisfied with the results.

The conclusion - it is possible to make cocktails as good as you might get in 99.9% of bars in a bottled form. You can use the best ingredients and you don't need additives or preservatives, they just need to be tunnel (slow) pasteurised then the alcohol keeps them stable. The down-side.....almost unsurprisingly.....is they aren't cheap. But then top quality never is. They're selling for an equivalent $6 for a 250ml bottle at 8.5% abv.

We're on sale in the 2 premium national UK supermarkets - Waitrose and Sainsburys - and it's been snapped up by event spaces. Bottled cocktails are perfect for opera, theatres, music venues etc who have high volume staff, moneyed customers and dumb ass staff.

We've had enquiries from importers but we need to prove they have 12 month shelf life first. Our accelerated ageing tests only 'proved' we have 9 months so far. Last thing we need is spoilt palettes being sent back from the States or mainland Europe! So we're optimistically waiting...

I've been nailing them for months. It's too much like hard work mixing your own at home!

Any chance we're going to see you here for the RumFest Adam? If not, would you fire me your address so I could send you some samples? I'd love to hear your professional opinion.

Nice 'Tony Soprano' pic by the way. Fegedaboudit!!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #22
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
So I'm not the only one to get excited sniffing the old train tracks running through the ancient part of town.
I presume you are sniffing the creosote soaked rail ties...and not the tracks.

I suspect there are more like us out there Robert. Shall we start a special interest group?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicZinc View Post
- Has anyone tried the "Cocktails by Jen" ?
I see them discounted at the larger liquor stores across the country. Maybe the packaging wasn't cute enough?

While I was enjoying a ti punch with a friend in California, a friend poured herself one of Jen's vodka cocktails but the only thing that impressed her was how easy it was to pour over ice. As Paul knows, fruit flavors are very hard to bottle.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #24
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulipbartender View Post
Nice 'Tony Soprano' pic by the way. Fegedaboudit!!
Well I am born and raised in Jersey!

I won't be able to make it to RumFest. Its tough between the bar and having a family with two lil ones. We might make it to the U.K. one of these days, but if it was during RumFest, it'd be purely coincidence.

The test of time is a tough one. I am working with Bluecoat Gin to produce a rum for me. We're doing a small run this quarter, but next year, we want to do a full line. Unfortunately Im not sure how the flavors will work with the time issue. Our hopes is that all the rum will be snatched up and drank before the cucumber rum tastes like pickle rum, ha!

I'll send you my address in PM. Thanks!
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #25
Gary Katz

Default New RTD Caipirinhas ( Cachaca and Malt Based)

Try My Beverage Co. has started to launch "TRY MY CAIPIRINHA" RTD Caipirinha made with Fresh Lime Juice and Artisanal Cachaca in New York and New Jersey. As well as "TRY MY LIME" RTD Caipirinha Malt, also made with Fresh lime juice. Both products are delicious and blow away any of the existing RTD products that I have tried.
The Malt is in Supermarkets and the Caipirinha is in liquor stores, bars and resturaunts.
They also have new flavors on the way that are awesome, Mango, Passion Fruit and Acai in both the Cachaca (spirit) based and the Malt based products.
People went nuts over the stuff at the New York Bar Show and said that "it was like drinking a fresh fruit cocktail".
Basic info on them can be found at www.trymybeverage.com
Best regards
Gary
Gary Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #26
Texas TikiGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
The Gas stations in California don't sell any good prepackaged Rum goodies. Although you can buy Mota at about a thousand legal medical Dispensary's. Not so bad I guess !!!!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas