MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

19 years ago in 2000, the Roig sugar factory in Yabucoa and the Coloso factory in Aguada, not far from where the first sugar cane had been brought to the island 385 years before, closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Events
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum Events

Sugar Cane Spirit Events around the world

Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Berbician

Default Rumfest 2013 (London)

Rumfest 2013 takes place on 12th and 13th October at The Excel, Royal Victoria Dock, London E16. Tickets can be obtained through

http://rumfest.co.uk
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
AdOrAdam

Hi Mr Berbician

I must of missed your post previouly but it turned up when I was trying to google reviews of Rumfest to see what people in the media said.

I posted a review on TikiCentral, http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/...6173&forum=4&7

Here's my 2 cents:

Overall I'd rate Rumfest as... Ok.

There were a lot of stalls, no real surprising rums - some stalls were conspicuously absent (ie like them or not 'the big boys' - Bacardi, Havana Club, Appletons, Angostura, Sailor Jerrys) but there wasn't a vibe the show was to promote the smaller producers (ie Mount Gay, Kracken, Wray & Nephew were there). Some people were only showing part of their range (eg Plantation just providing samples of Bajan 5 year or dark) & selling cocktails.

Disappointingly only 1 agricole stand that I spotted - Saint Aubins sharing a stand with Green Island I think.

I sampled about 7/8 rums (some for the 2nd time to confirm if they were worthwhile future purchases & others as they were the next 'step up' in the portfolio eg Zacapa XO).

I met Andy Abrahams (a down to earth Scottish guy who reviews rums on YouTube). I spoke to Roberto Seralles (founding family member I think) of Don Q who was a gent & happy to take a little time to chat as I was interested.

I took master classes from Martin Cate (Smugglers Cove) & Appletons. It would have been handy to know the days the different masterclasses were on prior to booking tickets as I think I definitely got the better day.

The Martin Cate one was interesting & quite general - it attracted a range of customers some of who didn't know much about tiki. Martin was a stand up guy & answered the general questions (& my more specific / geeky ones).

The Appletons talk included a tasting of unaged column still, unaged pot still, aged column still, aged pot still, VX, Reserve, Extra & 21 year. Interesting but it got a bit rowdy (as some people polished off all the samples quickly). Got in some good questions, apparently they water down to 20% when doing blenders tasting. I actually helped the promotional guys set up the room as it was straight after Martin Cate's talk, I was kindly given a big pour of 21 year during the masterclass.

Both classes ran late, maybe I should have only taken one master class to have a bit more time in the arena. But then I'd have missed out so I was happy with what I did.

The actual arena was a bit off putting IMO - a lot of people swamping the stalls & hollering. The connoisseurs cove was like an arena part 2, better brands but not much discussion about the quality of the rums or better service.

Plenty of free flyers, bar mats - low on stuff you'd actually want (if you know what I mean). Interesting Barbados tourist stall in the corner with a 'display only' cabinet containing every Barbados rum I've ever seen & more. Plantation were selling tiki mugs tho, I got one

Bottles of rum were for sale from Whisky Exchange in the hall & hats off to them, they didn't charge anything over their online prices (which I didn't expect) They had everything in the show, which I'll note for next year & splurge.

I'd go again & def buy the more expensive ticket (the connoisseurs cove was about half the arena) but I'd adjust my expectations after this years event.

Cheers all!

Any other MOR members go?
AdOrAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Berbician

Yes, I was also disappointed that there was nothing from Martinique or Guadeloupe.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Tiare

Yep i missed more rhum agirole too! hope to see more of that next year.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Events