MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

146 years ago in 1873, the steam-powered, San Vicente central sugar mill was built in Puerto Rico coinciding with the abolition of slavery on the island the same year.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
azisme

Default Quest for "The Ultimate Rum Runner" Part 1

My first posting. Sorry for the length.

Since tasting an unforgettable Rum Runner in a forgotten restaurant/bar in Orlando over ten years ago, I have had a quest to concoct the ultimate Rum Runner. My first attempts failed miserably so I dropped the idea until recently. First let me catch you up.

Last year at an annual scuba trip, I was first introduced to a new (to me) way of drinking rum: a small glass with a floater of diet coke. I don’t even remember what the rum was, but I was instantly hooked. I have been tasting rums ever since, and more recently started doing some online research. Here is my experience so far:
Appleton Estate V/X – The first “step-up” rum I purchased. I can’t call it a premium rum, but it did make Bacardi taste like vodka in a side by side comparison. I drank some of it with a diet-coke floater, and the rest as strong rum & cokes.

Flor de Cana 7 yr – I love this stuff! I am nursing this bottle mixing it with a diet coke floater or sometimes just an ice cube.

Pyrate XO Reserve – Frankly I am a little surprised about the hype with this rum. I find it to be rather sharp, with a definite citrus taste. I relinquished this to a mixer and have found it makes a very fine rum and coke.

Ron Anejo Pampero Aniversario – This rum has some very interesting flavors which I am not going to try to describe do to my lack of experience. I did find however, that the flavor gets lost quickly with mixing.
So I am on a road to discovering new and better rums, but for now my priority is continuing my quest for the ultimate rum runner. I tested the last 3 rums listed above with roughly the following measurements in a very small 2 oz glass: 2 parts rum; 1 part Vice Rei Banana Liquer – Portugal; 1 part Chambord Ligueur Deluxe, small ice cube. I found them all to be too sweet yet very reminiscent of that unforgettable rum runner I had in Orlando. My favorites were in the same order as the rums are listed above (not the Appleton, it is long gone).

After this all too long history, my biggest question is this. Is it a waste to use premium rums as a mixer? I mean; cost and availability aside, would some of the lower rated rums actually perform better in this “ultimate” drink I am fantasizing about?

I will follow with a “Part 2” post to get more into the details of what I am looking for in “The Ultimate Rum Runner”.
azisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #2
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by azisme View Post
[I]Is it a waste to use premium rums as a mixer? I mean; cost and availability aside, would some of the lower rated rums actually perform better in this “ultimate” drink I am fantasizing about?
Interesting thread..I think some premium rums would mix wonderfully and yet others would maybe loose some of their taste characters, but i can`t say which ones would do or not, you`ll have to experiment..
And the same with some of the lower rated rums, some of these would probably mix very well.
I`m looking forward with interest to hear how your experimentation goes..

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
Scottes

Quote:
Originally Posted by azisme View Post
Is it a waste to use premium rums as a mixer?
Not if you like the results.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Not if you like the results.
Well summarized Scott.

Great spirits can make great drinks and great cocktails. I make amazing Mai Tai's and Daiquiris with some serious top shelf rums. Can you taste the true refinement of the rum through a cocktail - no. But it still tastes great and if you can afford to mix heavily aged rums and you like the results, do it
Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Matusalem

Agree with the above, but would throw out one warning, and maybe this is just me own experience and observation. Many times, it seems people cheat themselves in an effort to "make up" for lack.

What I mean? Somebody will buy (for example just to use a brand name), Stirring's syrup or cocktail mix. Which they might find o.k. for what ever they are trying to accomplish, but then attempt to make it better or exceptional on the basic premise that adding a more expensive rum will give the cocktail a lift.

What I'm trying to get at is if you go the expensive rum route, I suggest you make the compliments flow in both directions and use the best or most likable ingredients in the process. Generally fresh ingredients, or higher quality products (which often cost more) make for a better end result regardless of the quality and price of the rum.

It isn't always the case but more often than not, I find it can be a loss when mixing and matching sub-standard with high-standard.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
azisme

Thanks for the responses. I was afraid I would get slammed for wasting good rum as a mixer, but it seems the consensus is improved results can be obtained by using better rums, but not across the board.

Matusalem, your comment about using the best ingredients is also well taken. I plan on discussing that along with the recipe in general in my Part 2 posting. For this part I wanted to get a feel for how others thought about using better rums as mixers, and possibly to get suggestions on which rums to use.

After posting this I found a thread about good white rums for mixing, and one on dark rums for mixing. I am looking into them now and will compare them to what is locally available to me (we have a brand new Total Wine & More store in town which is a major motivation for resurrecting my quest). Once I narrow down my choices, I will post them for comments, and move on to Part 2.
azisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Dood

Welcome to the forums!

I have to echo the opinions of my fellow posters. There's nothing wrong with using top shelf rums in cocktails if you think the cocktails are better for them. Just don't mix them right in front of a master blender...it may kill them...or they may kill you.

Also, definitely, if you're going to go with the higher quality rums, make sure the rest of your ingredients are high quality as well. Use fresh juices that you squeeze yourself, top shelf or homemade syrups and other mixers.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses