MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2004, House Spirits distillery was established in Portland, Oregon.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Other discussion
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Other discussion

If it doesn't fit anywhere else put it here.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
ammo

Default Single Malt Scotch -- is it just my tastebuds?

I decided to branch out beyond rum, and scotch is the only other drink that piques my interest. I have tried two single malts that are reputed to be less challenging to scotch novices -- Glenmorangie Port Wood and Balvenie 12 Year Double Wood.

The taste is obviously dramatically different than rum. I generally like the flavor, but in both instances I was repulsed by an odd background flavor. I would describe it as soapy. It reminded me of when mom would wash my mouth out with soap (think of Ralphie in A Christmas Story!).

So does this make sense? Am I tasting something that others enjoy and, more importantly, should I just stop after two attempts and give up on scotch? I'm more than happy to stick with rum, but I don't want to miss out if there is an outstanding (and affordable) scotch out there.

Thanks, Tony.
ammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Jamie76

I wouldn't give up after trying just two. The "soapy" taste might be some floral flavors you picked up on.

Perhaps you might want to start out with a good bourbon that might be more transitional from rum (though just my opinion).
Jamie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
ammo

Thanks for the recommendation. Bourbon was actually my first drink before moving to rum. I agree that it is a smaller step than going to a single malt. Perhaps I should try a blended scotch.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
gatomalo

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "soapy flavour".

Having myself moved to Single Malts from rum, I found that I immediately favoured the sherry cask malts over others (such as the Macallan Sherry Cask Malt, over their Fine Oak Malt). These sherry cask malts were much sweeter than peaty/oaky/firey flavoured malts (Talisker, etc).

There is great variety in Single Malts, just as there is in rum. First you should identify the style you prefer, and then go from there. I would suggest you first seek out the sweeter sherry cask malts as I did, or one of the floral malts such as Dalwhinnie 15 yr, which I think would be an excellent introduction.

Whisky is like any other alcoholic beverage though - it can be an acquired taste. I didnt much like whisky at first, but then again I didn't much like my first rums either!

Last edited by gatomalo; 03-16-2011 at 08:26 PM.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Jolipapa

The Bourbon option is a good idea, Green Jim Beam espacially. You can also test Abunadh, it's matured in a sherry cask and is very different of rum, but very enjoyable. Same applies to Macallan I agree.
Both are Speyside, don't venture in the Islands or you could regret it unless you like smoke and peat!

Have also a go to blended like gold (or black if money counts) Johnny Walker.
Jolipapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
ammo

Good ideas. I'll definitely try to taste an Islay before venturing to buy a bottle.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Don Piero

The 18yo Bowmore has what I call a soapy/bubble-gum note (not a dominant taste), that to me adds to its Islay complexity, along with its peatiness.
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

I hate Jim Beam. Not only does it not taste very good but it doesn't make me feel very well either and that last part is something I can't say from a lot of spirits.

I recently sampled Ardbeg Corryvreckan, which is a rather young single malt, and I thought it was very intriguing. It has got a wide spectrum of flavours ranging from smoky peat to pineapple and other fruits! I thought it was very unusual but interesting nevertheless. I will be posting a review of this and two other single malts, hopefully tonight!

For blended scotch, I could recommend Johnnie Walker Green Label, which slightly reminds me of Clément Rhum Vieux.

For some more whisky ideas check out the forums at RV.

And if you don't want to spend too much on just one whisky I recommend Drinks by the Dram, who make inexpensive small samples of most whiskies they sell. Can save you a small fortune if you decide you do not like a particular whisky afterall!
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
ammo

Thanks for the recommendations and the link to drinks by the dram -- a brilliant business idea.

I am traveling and found a small bar with a better scotch selection than back home, so I gave Laphroaig 10 Year a try. It is fantastic. My brother had a sip and then couldn't taste his beer afterwards. So my faith in single malts is renewed. I'll keep sampling and see what I like.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Here are three whisky reviews if you're still looking: http://www.refinedvices.com/drinks-by-the-dram

These were really interesting especially the last one.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Other discussion