MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

229 years ago in 1790, J. M was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default I finally made it to Bacardi 8 Year Old

My first experiences with rum were with two popular brands many years ago, Lambs and Bacardi. That was back when I did not like rum much. The trouble was I was drinking the white Bacardi, and I just never seemed to be able to warm up to it. I preferred the darker Lambs, but one of my friends assured me that the darker colour was just caramel and it would give me a bad headache.

So I drank good old Canadian Rye Whisky, Usually Alberta Springs (which I still love) and never gave Rum another thought. Even when I was reclaimed back into the fold I looked with extreme suspicion at anything labeled Bicardi.

I think it was RonJames and his constant Evangelizing about the Bicardi 8 that finally tipped my hand and convinced me to give it a try.

Thanks RonJames! And apologies to Bacardi for all that pent up suspicion and scorn. I have found the Bicardi 8 to be absolutely wonderful. This is going to sound crazy but it reminds me of a really really good whisky. Not so much in the flavour as in the delivery. Not sweet, just pleasant flavours backed by what I can only describe as a truly wonderfully clean oak backdrop.

Bacardi is on to something here and I am glad I have started to sip this one.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 02-06-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Michael

We also favor the Bacardi 8 (along with Rum Runner, rumdog007 and several others), as well documented elsewhere on these forums. We only hope that it doesn't change for the worse now that Bacardi no longer has the Bahamian facility where it has been made.

Has anyone seen a bottle of Bacardi 8 that doesn't say "Product of the Bahamas" on the label? Does anyone have an update on the production of this rum?
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Mistahunter

I too was a Bacardi Basher...avoided PR rums altogether based on my early experiences with Bacardi (White, Gold,)....

Based on the dialogue on these forums (RonJames et al) I realized that I may have been missing out on something with their 8 year. I picked up a bottle for $20 and was pleasantly surprised. It works perfectly for me because it smooth and tasty as a shot and performed wonderfully in a Cuba Libre. Considering the price, I consider this one my best "bangs for the buck" rums...or as I like to call it, "pound for pound champion". I am now on my 3rd bottle...#1 was consumed quickly, #2 was poured into a batch of coquito, and #3 is resting on the shelf. It's versatility compares well to MG's Sugar Cane Rum/Brandy.

I am now open to buying/trying the Ron del Barrelito to expand my experience with PR rums. Any suggestions from the PR rum lovers???
Mistahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
TheRumelier

We just had our latest shipment of Bacardi come in last week and the 8 was still from the Bahamas. A great rum with a long distinctive finish from the finishing in sherry barrels. I find it to be a little heavier in body than the Reserva Limitada, which is a step up in quality and price.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
A great rum with a long distinctive finish from the finishing in sherry barrels. I find it to be a little heavier in body than the Reserva Limitada, which is a step up in quality and price.
I am glad you mentioned the sherry influence as I was sitting here trying to figure out what is was that I tasted. It was almost, but not really, like a a very soft chewy peat. The Sherry makes perfect sense, as it give the rum a slightly heavy, slightly smoky flavour which lightly drifts in the rum.

As I said before, the flavour is like rum, but the delivery is to me very whiskylike.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 02-06-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
TheRumelier

Chip, I think you could be right there and that maybe why many people do not like it too much.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Ben

That's funny because I have the same experience. My older brother used to drink the white Bacardi back in the days and I couldn't even stand the smell. So I was for a long time a beer drinker, a tequila drinker , anything but a rum drinker. I finally got reintroduced to rum with Barbancourt.

Last year while on vacation I was practically force-fed the B8 and I was pleasantly surprised. I even bought a bottle here since it is widely available.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
RonJames

Thanks for giving it a try arctic and mistahunter. I love the nuances with this one and for the dollar, it is really hard to beat. Mistahunter, you're with the pr rum crowd if you can make coquito! If you're ever through pr, pick up a bottle of the barrilito. 2star or 3star, they're both good. The 2star on ice with a big slice of lemon peel, give it a minute and it will grow on you. The 3star is one quirky sipper. I haven't tried making a cocktail yet with either but that could be changing soon. Cheers.

As for the B8, its proof that Bacardi can put out some great products when they want too. I just wish they would retool there superior. Its sad to see so a historical rum co. with such ability, let it go to waste.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
StephenLouis

I have avoided Bacardi as I saw it as the Molson of rums, and not worth my time. This was the rum our parents pulled out at those early 70' parties.

My concern after reading this thread is it is exactly the same price as my beloved favorite Rum at 32.99/750ml. So is it worth trying for me now that I am convinced that at the worse it deserves a chance? This might be one I order in a PUB to test.
StephenLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
rumdog007

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenLouis View Post
I have avoided Bacardi as I saw it as the Molson of rums, and not worth my time. This was the rum our parents pulled out at those early 70' parties.

My concern after reading this thread is it is exactly the same price as my beloved favorite Rum at 32.99/750ml. So is it worth trying for me now that I am convinced that at the worse it deserves a chance? This might be one I order in a PUB to test.

Stephen, if you are alluding to the the Black Seal, then the B8 will give a you a solid "opposite of Black Seal" rum. It is a dyed-in-the-wool Puerto Rican rum. It's pretty easy to buy around these parts for around $18 to $20 so, it's a good value, too.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums