MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

372 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Cachaça
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Cachaça

The Brazilian sugar cane spirit all its own

Old 03-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default The Spirit of Brazil

Estimates of the number of cachaзa distillers in Brazil range from 5000 to more than 20,000. Distilled from sugar cane juice and typically distilled in pot stills to between 38 and 48% alcohol by volume, most cachaзas have a viscous mouth feel and a warm spicy finish. Most commonly consumed with a lot of muddled lime and sugar,
cachaзa producers are beginning to export more highly distilled and even aged versions of this
the national spirit of Brazil.

Last year there was about 1.3 billion liters of cachaзa produced in Brazil most of which was consumed locally. Though not considered cachaзa, a few distillers distill their sugar cane juice spirit to an alcohol content of more than 48% abv. Brazilian distillers also produce rum made from molasses.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Troy

Is the main thing that sets Cachaca apart from rum made with sugar cane juice it's country of origin?

Can you produce cachaca outside of Brazil or would it just be rum then?
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Johnniesworld

Send a message via Skype™ to Johnniesworld

Also give Sagatiba Velha a try. It's not yet available in the US, but will be soon.

Regards,

JOHN GAKURU
john@sagatiba.com | www.sagatiba.com
Johnniesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
anguswinchester

Send a message via Skype™ to anguswinchester

I always liked this side of Cachaca:

"Cachaca is known by dozen of names. Each of Cachaзa's synonym can be placed within a regional context as well as a reference to the quality of the Cachaca itself. Among the most common names there are:

Abrideira (the opener)
A-do-у
Бgua benta (holy water)
Бgua que passarinho nгo bebe (water that the bird doesn't drink)
Aguardente (burning water)
Arrebenta peito (chest smasher)
Assovio de cobra (snake's whistle)
Birita
Branquinha (little white one)
Brasa (ember)
Brasileira (Brazilian)
Capote-de-pobre (poorman's coat)
Caxiri
Cotrйia
Danada (damned)
Desmancha samba (samba unraveler)
Engasga gato (cat choker)
Imaculada (immaculate)
Jб comeзa (it already starts)
Lindinha (little pretty one)
Mata bicho (beast killer)
Meu consolo (my consolation)
Perigosa (dangerous)
Pinga (it drops)
Purinha (little pure one)
Remйdio (medicine)
Samba
Sete virtudes (seven virtues)
Suor de alambique (alembic's sweat)
Veneno (poison)
Zuninga "

I have been told that calling for a Pinga in certain US cities may get some odd looks but still... "water that the bird doesn't drink"? Priceless!

aw

www.alconomics.com
www.barmetrix.com
anguswinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Grouchowan

Default Toucano

Has anyone tried a cachaca called "Toucano"? I've been curious about this spirit since reading the posts on it, but so far in my Minneapolis/St Paul ramblings I have only found three brands. Toucano stands out from the other two in that it has a fancy, wrapped bottle with a colorful label and - as do the other two - does not look like some cheap liquor store brand.
Anyway, if anyone has an experience with this spirit, I'd be appreciative to hear your take on it.
Thanks!
Grouchowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
mickblueeyes

Most of the cachacas available in the US are fairly inexpensive in Brazil. Toucano, Ypioca and P51, for instance. Ypioca is the largest producer in Brazil and they make decent cachaca for caipirinha. The best cachacas out there, IMO, is the lineup from Excalibur imports which includes: Armazem Viera Esmerelda, Rubi, Onix; Rochinha 5 yr and 12 yr; GRM and Beleza Pura cachaca and premixed caipirinha.

I tend to stay away from brands like cuca fresca, P51, Toucano, etc. Again, JMO.
mickblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Johnniesworld

Send a message via Skype™ to Johnniesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickblueeyes View Post
Most of the cachacas available in the US are fairly inexpensive in Brazil. Toucano, Ypioca and P51, for instance. Ypioca is the largest producer in Brazil and they make decent cachaca for caipirinha. The best cachacas out there, IMO, is the lineup from Excalibur imports which includes: Armazem Viera Esmerelda, Rubi, Onix; Rochinha 5 yr and 12 yr; GRM and Beleza Pura cachaca and premixed caipirinha.

I tend to stay away from brands like cuca fresca, P51, Toucano, etc. Again, JMO.
FYI Cachaca 51 is the largest producer of cachaca in he world. It actually has 35% of the entire market.

Regards,

JOHN GAKURU
john@sagatiba.com | www.sagatiba.com
Johnniesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
Matusalem

No mention of Agua Luca?

Question, Ed. Oronoco, a great rum, but I've heard rumblings that it is cachaca blended with small amounts of aged Venezuelan rum. Is that true or false?

On a taste scale, Oronoco is rum, not cachaca (in my own opinion), but at the same time, it has the most matured (aged) profile of white rum which I've tasted (thus far).

Someone else suggested it might be moderately aged and then charcoal filtered to the extent that the hue is clear / white.

Any rate I love it, but what EXACTLY is it? Straight rum? Cachaca and rum? Aged but without barrel influenced color?

As we know, the bottle labeling declares this spirit "Rum".

Thanks.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Cachaзa is gaining popularity in US

The trend toward increased popularity of cachaзa in the US is well under way. Keep your eye open for some notable spirits. Moleca (the naughty girl) is making waves in Miami with double distilled silver and gold products priced at $30 and $40 respectively. Other products aimed at the upscale consumer include Agua Luca (recently purchased by Heaven Hill), Cuca Fresca, and Leblon. Oronoco is not a cachaзa, but still brings a shine to the increased acceptance of cane spirits from Brazil.

Interestingly, the rather large Brazilian population in South Florida is generally surprised to see cachaзa priced so high. In country, it's very cheap and widely available. The trend in the US of "super premium" cachaзa product aims to give new found respectability to what was traditionally considered hillbilly moonshine.

An opportunity exists to introduce a quality cachaзa product aimed at the twenty-thirty-something crowd that is affordable, accessible and unique to the younger generation. If you're twenty five years old, your grandfather enjoyed rum and coke; your parents drank mojitos; you and your friends have discovered this sexy, fun new liquor named cachaзa and your folks have never heard of it.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
Tiare

Default Cachaca Jamel

I can´t find any cachaca here in my country, but I got a bottle cachaca extra with a deliverance of a rum purchased from Ebay in Germany, its labeled Jamel. I don`t have any idea if its considered a good or less good cachaca? I have made a few nice batidas with this one.
I also got a bottle of xiboquinha and after investingating it it really reminds me of a sort of falernum-like thing..but made with cachaca. It contains cachaca, lime juice,honey,and syrup made with cinnamon, herbs and cloves.

Last edited by Tiare; 11-29-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Cachaça